Support

recalc

• As someone who's not played the game for a while, I reached endgame on last server in a mega city and enjoyed it tremendously. In a previous endgame I think I made the classic newbie mistake of moving prior to recalc. Can someone explain it in more detail so those of us new really understand it? I'm also a bit confused over waiting times. If an industry is running out of resources is that when waiting time goes up? And if it does then presumably supplying it with goods will help to reduce waiting times. But how is this impacted by recalculation times and I've not even started on investments! The mega city I was in were really helpful and explained loads as we went along with no problem, but this whole area needs someone who know to maybe write a newbie guide. I am very confused about all this, like I suspect most newbies are. Any help would be appreciated before next server starts. Thanks.
    • Recalculation happens in facilities once an hour. Directly, this means that once per hour the occupancy rate is recalculated. The occupancy rate is a measure of how busy the facility has been during that previous hour. Facilities also have a capacity, which is determined by the level of the facility. In theory then, the occupancy rate would be determined by how much capacity was used in the previous hour. Higher occupancy rates lead to higher waiting times, but it also leads to faster facility growth which then leads to an increased capacity.

The 'classic newbie mistake' refers to when a new RG facility comes about. If during an entire recalculation period 0% capacity was used, meaning nobody picked up even one ton, then when recalculation happens the waiting time will be 00:00. The timing works out that when you level the city, the facility recalc is likely to be 15, 30, or 45 minutes away. So if you want a full hour of no waiting time, you wait until recalc, and then haul your ass off during the 'golden hour'.

Current stock of intermediate resources also affects waiting times. You can actually get an itemized list of all factors affecting the current waiting time. In Classic you mouseover the waiting time on the facility panel. In SoE you click the waiting time.
    • Wait times are a myth!!!!

Okay, they are not a myth, they are sad reality... but they don't have to be, and you, YES YOU can be the cure.

Wait times are the least understood aspect of the game. As trains get faster, wait times begin consuming more and more of your time. Most people try to counter this by adding more trains and greater investment.

A true wait time ninja moves their trains every hour, letting industries 'cool'

Using your NOOBIE mistake as an example. Say everybody hauled that new RG for one hour. The wait time is going to skyrocket from 0 seconds to... I have seen it go as high as 16 minutes. How many carloads do you think that industry is going to haul next hour?

Not many.

So Wait time will be greatly reduced next hour even if YOU are the only one smart enough to pull your trains for the next hour.

If you come back an hour after the 16 minute wait time, you WILL get another low wait time, and will deliver a lot of carloads driving up the wait time the following hour after that (see a pattern?). Now If 5 people are smart enough to do what you are doing, the wait time will oscillate from between <30 second > 300 sends every other hour.

So, the classic NOOBIE mistake is to drive the wait time up when it is currently 0.

The NOOBIE mistake that most 'experts' make, is they drive wait times up when they 'would have returned to 0' if they had just stopped hauling it.

But sssshhhhh.... don't report any of this to anyone unless you like being called stupid. ;)

TL;DR... occasionally people will talk about 'cooling' an industry. This is meant to explain what 'cooling' wait times means.