Support

Newbie Questions

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

• Newbie Questions

Hello!

I'm a new Rail Nation player and a lot of questions came up within the first hours of gameplay.

Thankfully, I found someone kind enough to explain me a little bit of the game and that there are a "million" ways to play it.

So my questions are:
      • How can you effectively play the game?
      • Are there any guides / strategies / common sense to follow that are and can be useful to a new player?
      • What are the priorities in the game? Reaching the end city?
      • What's the smartest way to expand, to reach other cities?
      • What are the best train research strategies for every Era? ( Example: I know that I have to reach Falcon, then Lynx, then Morpheus, but then?)
      • What's the smartest way to upgrade the Train Station?
      • Associations, when and why?
      • How do you know where to start a game?
      • What's the point of Passengers Train? Which benefits do they offer? How does a Passenger Train strategy work?
      • When do you have to service Trains to prevent a possible and more serious income loss?
      • Are there any Streamers / YouTubers that constantly provide new content and / or guides?

I know it's a lot of things. But I feel like I'm behind everyone else in terms of general knowledge.

If you made it that far to read this, thank you.
    • On this Forum there are "Q&A" and "Tutorials and Guides" sections. Those would be good places to start.

The best way to learn is to actually PLAY the game to the end, be active, listen to your team mates if they appear to know what they're doing. If they don't change your Association.

After you finish your first round you'll be amazed how much you've learned.
    • This basically doesn't answer to any of my questions, as the Q&A and the Tutorials & Guides sections are empty and the ONLY useful guide doesn't cover all the important aspects of the game but focuses on giving you base knowledge, that is not what I am looking for.

Also, if you're in city with just a closed Association of elitist that rules it, you can just watch, there's no communication.

If you're obliged to play solo, like I am, it's difficult to even learn something that in-game tutorials doesn't provide, that's why I opened this discussion in the Forum in the first place.
    • Haricho wrote:

This basically doesn't answer to any of my questions, as the Q&A and the Tutorials & Guides sections are empty and the ONLY useful guide doesn't cover all the important aspects of the game but focuses on giving you base knowledge, that is not what I am looking for.

Also, if you're in city with just a closed Association of elitist that rules it, you can just watch, there's no communication.

If you're obliged to play solo, like I am, it's difficult to even learn something that in-game tutorials doesn't provide, that's why I opened this discussion in the Forum in the first place.
      Hi Haricho, welcome to the world of Rail Nation!

One day, I hope, we will get answers to your questions in a separate tip thread.

I can give you some answers, but I'm sure some might disagree ^^

How can you effectively play the game?
      A: That's a bit broad question. Learn by doing and ask questions in world chat. You could also join a free driver association where players are all over the map without anyone telling you what to do. These free spirits can surely be of help. Another term to look for is 'Just for Fun'

Are there any guides / strategies / common sense to follow that are and can be useful to a new player?
      A: I googled for Rail Nation game faq, and then there are some fan sites + lots of Youtube videos!

What are the priorities in the game? Reaching the end city?
      A: Depends on how you like to play. Some are playing just for fun, some compete, some solo and some join and follow the rules of an association. Solo priority would be to get as much Prestige as possible, and in association you work for the good of everyone there. In the end many are close to Mega Cities, so that the fast and exciting endgame goes well.

What's the smartest way to expand, to reach other cities?
      A: Money and Prestige, again depending on your play style. You can also help your association friends in whatever their needs are.

What are the best train research strategies for every Era? ( Example: I know that I have to reach Falcon, then Lynx, then Morpheus, but then?)
      A: You can calculate speed * tractive force + acceleration if you are doing lots of short transports, and compare trains. Some like to collect one of each engine and some use what they think is the most lucrative path of picking engines. Also a good idea to research Coupling, so that you can transport the next era goods right away!

What's the smartest way to upgrade the Train Station?
      A: Engines, more engines! Engines engines! Did I say engines? Yes, engines! In association, others are helping you collect station bonuses, so you can think of restaurant as an extra engine. Remember to have enough room in your bank, and keep Research points coming for new and better engines + coupling.

Associations, when and why?
      A: Depends on your play style, so join / make one that lets you solo, or one that tells you what to do. Follow the city chat / world chat and ask where's room. If you don't like the asso, just jump off and join another one ;-). Who knows, you might make life long Rail Nation friends like so many others have!

How do you know where to start a game?
      A: You can start close to a city that has no room for new players. This way you know where the active and more serious players are. Or you can pick a remote town and watch it grow slowly with a smaller group of players.

What's the point of Passengers Train? Which benefits do they offer? How does a Passenger Train strategy work?
      A: Passengers are just another goods to transport. They can earn you lots and lots of money, but you have switch between cities to follow the money. The new Plus account feature let's you save schedules.

When do you have to service Trains to prevent a possible and more serious income loss?
      A: Some say when engines are at 70%, but I will service my trains whenever they are close to 90%.

Are there any Streamers / YouTubers that constantly provide new content and / or guides?
      A: There are lots of videos I think, so better if you just search for the most active RN Youtubers.
    • Haricho wrote:

This basically doesn't answer to any of my questions, as the Q&A and the Tutorials & Guides sections are empty and the ONLY useful guide doesn't cover all the important aspects of the game but focuses on giving you base knowledge, that is not what I am looking for.

Basically, you're asking how do I win the game in 3 easy steps or less.
      Basically, it does not exist.

Each player has a different amounts of time for the game, different amounts of real money invested, different temperament, different levels of social engagement, different competitive factor, that's why ONLY the base knowledge of the mechanics of the game is common to every player.

Every other aspect of the game depends on the above factors and each players needs to develop his/her own game play style/strategy dependent on those factors. That comes with experience, with actually playing the game more than just few hours.

If you want to be successful in the game, you need to be creative. If your home city does not have players you want to play with, change the city, if there is no Association that wants to play with you start your own Association.

If you want a specific answer to a specific question ask in game or ask that specific question here. Nobody, except maybe ever-helpful Samisu, has time or desire to put time and effort to create a personalized guide for you without knowing anything about you. Even then, majority of so called "experienced" players became experienced by playing the game, many, many rounds, experimenting with various strategies, playing with different teams, I suggest you try to do the same.
    • The Lord is so right! There is NO best strategy, no always effective way to play (and win) .... it all depends on your objectives, time, money, fun, social interests, desire to communitcate ... and so much more.

There are people, who want to "win", meaning to get on rank 1, get more prestige points than any other, which means, you would have to take majorities, to win a lot of contests and deliver needed goods to the towns ... best to those who pay most. Plus, you need to find the best combination of passenger and good for your traines, which again determines, how to build your station.

For that strategy you need to build a lot of tracks to many cities so you can collect your points where you get most of them.

There is another strategy, that is more social, more aiming on friends, community, the social group of your city and association. These players often concentrate on one town, the neighbourhood and the objective is to win the end game for their city. Totally different strategy and often fighting the others (see above).

So ... there's really no howto ... there are so many combinations ... at the end you need to find your way.

This is, how I did it:
      First round, I had no interest to do it the right way. I tried anything. I did mistakes, I got blamed for carrying the "wrong" goods, I got nice feedback for helping ofthers ... but the most important thing was: I changed cities and found an asso with helpful people (more of the social type, who want to win the end game and not interested in the ranks) and they helped me. They are friends now, some of them still in the same asso, after 3 years and so many rounds.

My second round I played with the friends. Plus: I had one individual objective, one that is not mentioned anywhere: I had the idea to build my tracks from coast to coast, and then around the complete map. So, with focussing on track building, I found out, what that means for the rest of the game. I was always poor (tracks cost a lot at the end) but I could still help my asso friends ... we won the end game, but I also had connected all the other end game cities, so I could read their forums and chats and report their strategy to my friends. That was the advantage of having tracks anywhere. :)

It was all collecting experience in my first rounds, before I decided for my preferred strategy ... and later started to try others. But as I am a social guy, the main part of my strategy will always be to play with my friends and help them, which also means, I will not get rank 1, never get the 5 stars ... just not interested in that. You might be totally different ... you need to find out.
      Es gibt Leute, deren Posts liest du, und du weißt: Die fragen sich, warum Eimer unten zu sind.
      :P 8o :thumbup:
      Natürlich hast du Recht. Das heißt nicht, dass ich Unrecht hab. Wir haben andere Perspektiven.
    • Thank you enormously for the answers Samisu, that's a lot of useful knowledge, especially the equation for the best train per Era. I'll surely use it when I'll have the need.
      However, I may have to partially disagree with this answer.

Samisu wrote:

Are there any guides / strategies / common sense to follow that are and can be useful to a new player?

A: I googled for Rail Nation game faq, and then there are some fan sites + lots of Youtube videos!.
      As you can see (here) I haven't had a lot of success searching for any kind of guides, tips or tricks on the Internet. However, I've found a quite interesting series of videos that may be useful to new players like me. I'll leave the link here if someone stumbles across this topic.

Again, thank you for all the answers.

Now, to answer the "Elitist" we have here..

Lord Ocryd wrote:

Basically, you're asking how do I win the game in 3 easy steps or less.Basically, it does not exist.
      No Sir, I'm sorry, but that's clearly not what I'm asking. I suggest you to read my questions again.
      I have no fun in playing a game without knowing what I am doing. Without having a strategy, a plan of action, a direction to take.
      I'm asking ways to play the game, not how to win the game. And the only answers I'm getting, besides from Samisu, whom I deeply thank, are "Play the game". Play the game for what? What do I have to do? Survive?
      I never thought that Rail Nation could've been a survival game.

Lord Ocryd wrote:

If you want a specific answer to a specific question ask in game or ask that specific question here. Nobody, except maybe ever-helpful Samisu, has time or desire to put time and effort to create a personalized guide for you without knowing anything about you.
      If you'll read again, which I suggest you to do, you'll find quite a lot of specific questions, which, for the most part, have been answered by Samisu and the Chair of an Association I've just joined. There weren't any difficult questions to answer. But it's easier to just comment without providing any source of useful information that a new player may be happy to know.
      I hardly believe that someone that wants to know what's the best train for every Era is pleased with the answer "Play the game and find out for yourself while playing, or ask someone, like a random person in Global chat or from your Association, but not here".

And I'll get back to the main point. What I was asking, were directions. Directions to avoid losing time, resources and the smile. Because the game is engaging, it really is. But if I don't even know what's the point of playing a game, what's the main objective, what can lead me to the end without trouble that I could've avoided if I just knew that little bit more, how can I have fun during the journey?

I'm not asking a personalized guide for the game, but ways to play. Ways to enjoy the game. Advices, on a lot of things.

Klabbauter answered to my first question with a great argument. He gave himself objectives and found ways to achieve them. It's absolutely amazing. I deeply respect your way of playing Sir, as this may be a direction other would like to follow.

Klabbauter wrote:

It was all collecting experience in my first rounds, before I decided for my preferred strategy ... and later started to try others. But as I am a social guy, the main part of my strategy will always be to play with my friends and help them, which also means, I will not get rank 1, never get the 5 stars ... just not interested in that. You might be totally different ... you need to find out.
      Your point is summarized on these last few sentences. You're basically suggesting to find and make new friends, play with them and learn from them. That may be a valuable advice for new players. I'm trying my best to be helpful while at the same time effective with my engines.

My main objective is just to finish a round without being a weight to other people or destroy my own path. That's why I'm searching for advices, for common sense that may be completely normal for you, yet for me would be helpful.

I'm quite frankly disorientated by the amount of things you have to keep under control and how much every action means to the Economy of a city and for other players.

I just don't want to mess up.
    • Haricho wrote:

I'm quite frankly disorientated by the amount of things you have to keep under control and how much every action means to the Economy of a city and for other players.

I just don't want to mess up.

Don't be afraid to mess up, because you will mess things up for somebody at some point. Unless you're in a dead city you'll be yelled at for hauling the wrong good from the wrong location at the wrong time, for investing in the wrong industry or investing too much or not enough. It's all part of learning. In each round you'll learn new, different things and start to understand how it all works perfectly together in the right city in the right Association. That right city might be different for different players and you need to find that out for yourself. That's what so interesting and fun about this game.

There is also lots of information provided in game. Ex: click on any industry. You get a panel with variety of details. It provides basic info at the bottom, some things you click have 'help' at the bottom as well and some other buttons to click for more info. You can read about the Waiting Time and what contributes to it. Click on anything that is clickable. Not everything will be perfectly clear to a new player, but it's a start and it might clarify for you why you were just yelled at.

Again, don't be afraid to mess up, fear is the worst fun killer.
    • Haricho.

The best response to your questions, which are each worthy of their own thread, is...

There are a thousand way to play the game. ;)

Honestly it is tough to answer, because the right answer depends on the type of game you want to play.

For example, if you want to know how to play well enough to win the game, well. There is a tried and true way to play to win. I won't guarantee that you will win, but not playing that way will guarantee that you won't win.

But few people play the game to win first place, mostly because it requires 12+ hours a day for 14 weeks to have a shot. That is not fun for most, hence most have no idea how to play to come in first (it does not involve massive gold expenditures, and definitely does not waste money investing heavily in industries for example). So you will get a LOT of bad advice if you are playing to win.

The best answer you received was the one that said the best way to play is to find what you find most enjoyable for yourself. The best way to learn is to read city,corporation messages. If there is nobody talking in either, move to another city. Also, ask questions. If nobody answers... move till you find someone who does.

Ultimately most of the answers you will get will be wrong --- err half/wrong (hence use the forums not chat to ask the questions). But the ensuing debates are where you will get the information you need to learn what you want/need to learn.