Sound is on mute, but....

• I have the tab muted when playing. But, when playing the vids in the station (hotel, restaurant, shopping center) there is about a 1 in 3 chance of it unmuting without my permission or action.

Reported this issue earlier and got a "clear cache" etc reply. Didnt help. Its an easy fix, just mute the tab again. But, annoying.
    Pretty basic setup, Firefox Quantum is the browser of choice, Win7 is the operating system.

• I have the tab muted when playing. But, when playing the vids in the station (hotel, restaurant, shopping center) there is about a 1 in 3 chance of it unmuting without my permission or action.

Reported this issue earlier and got a "clear cache" etc reply. Didnt help. Its an easy fix, just mute the tab again. But, annoying.
    Pretty basic setup, Firefox Quantum is the browser of choice, Win7 is the operating system.

Hi Cidron. Sounds like a browser feature, and I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about it (but I will ask around). Have you tried from Volume Mixer if you can mute the whole browser?

My guess: Advertisers may want the whole package sounds included, when they buy their ad video time (from Google). This unmuting can happen on any site that offers a place to advertise, and that's why some videos come with unmuting powers.

• My guess: Advertisers may want the whole package sounds included, when they buy their ad video time (from Google). This unmuting can happen on any site that offers a place to advertise, and that's why some videos come with unmuting powers.

If that's really true Samisu, it would mean that those advertisers or Google snoop around our settings.

And, in fact they do exactly that according to RN privacy statement.

It's a long document that spells out what is being shared with 3rd parties;

"...time stamp, IP address, details regarding the browser, device and operatingsystem, email address, information regarding the status in the game as
    well as the purchase of credits or other in-game items... "

However, I'm not able to find anything about any permission to alter any settings.

• This is why I need to ask around to know more, as I'm not the most tech-savvy person out there :huh:

• Muting the browser is pointless, as I likely have internet radio going, or Pandora. As well as other games with audio cues. But, while those are a 3 on a 1-10, Pandora/music is a 7, and RN is muted, the ads blare thru at a 10. I hear them over music, and other games. If I am away (bio or kitchen) ... it is quite unexpected, and loud, and I rush back just to mute....AGAIN!

• Muting the browser is pointless, as I likely have internet radio going, or Pandora. As well as other games with audio cues. But, while those are a 3 on a 1-10, Pandora/music is a 7, and RN is muted, the ads blare thru at a 10. I hear them over music, and other games. If I am away (bio or kitchen) ... it is quite unexpected, and loud, and I rush back just to mute....AGA

Alright, after asking around:

Chrome offers 'mute' option straight from the tab: "Once you mute a website, it won’t automatically play videos with sound again until you unmute it." . You can check other browsers as well for this option.

Firefox might need a 3rd party plugins, and those are not supported.

Rail Nation does not have automatic pop up video feature, so it should never be unexpected when ad videos start to play. Are you perhaps using unsupported plugins that play videos automatically?

If you manually click 'play' on ad video, does the tab unmute then? And what video id can you see on the left upper corner of the video (5 numbers) when this happens?

• My Firefox is pretty bare of plug-ins and addons. I manually click the vid to play. And, the tab is already muted by me earlier. Sometimes it unmutes with ads. As for the ad number.. dunno (yet) but will find.

• I can confirm the behavior of FF. I use it to play the german DE101 (us-scenario).

It unmutes when I press the green button at my station building to start a video or when I start the 2nd video (Plus-acc)

(ad-numbers for example: 20928 and 17168 (there are more, but only got these two on my last tries))

Firefox might need a 3rd party plugins, and those are not supported.

as far as I know it is a FF basic (right- click on the tab- "head")

(english is not my native language ;) )

E/: the tab is still muted, but you get all the sounds of the game after the video has ended. You have to unmute the tab and then mute it again

• more information:
    It has nothing to do with the ad number; sometimes it works with these two and sometimes not.

I tried to mute the tab again while the ad is playing -> short massage in the video window: sth like: you have aborted the video sound ( not sure about the correct words, it was really short visible (and in english; my browser and game settings are german). then the game crashes and was reloaded.

I think it has something to do with the time you have the game active without reload; something seems to 'get lost'; do not know wether on FF or on RN side.

After the reload the videos were played muted

(Saphirus or Baldur may contact me via PN to get precise info in german if it might be helpful)

E/: just watched 8 videos (restaurant was "ready") during writing this without any problems (only 20928 and 17168)

The post was edited 1 time, last by hardi10 ().

• Thank you very much for the extra info, our marketing people (and I) really appreciate everything you do here!

The mute-unmute issue is known, but fixing it may take longer. You can try using different browser just for RN if that helps, and if it doesn't - then unmute activates only with certain videos.