The mentoring program

• Good news, improvements are in work and red / inactive newbies will not be selected for mentoring program in the future. I mean once the improvement is ready and activated.

I'd be interested to hear more about newbies being ranked level 10 or higher, or having too much prestige compared to mentors. Chat is still a good way to tutor new players, and I'm sure the mentoring program will also be fixed and more useful soon.

Thank you for the feedback!

• I was ask to mentor a player on firebox who had no trains and no prestige

That's pretty strange, so this next part was skipped in your case:

Who can be a student?
    As soon as a new player (career level 1) has upgraded their engine house to level 4, they will automatically take part in the program and appear in the list of potential students. As soon as they’ve completed all of the tutorial tasks or reached career level 2, they will leave the program.

Did you already contact game support? They'd be interested in comparing this with other mentoring experiences.

• Fresh off the train then, but really - no career engine or even the first steam engine?

Thanks for the image, it was useful and this wasn't the only 0 prestige player to be mentored there.

• My experience is a little different.

I would say the mentoring program was very successful in my instance.

I got paid gold to start in an out of the way city with no chance at endgame because of borders on three sides.

Only new players get assigned there, because... it is an impossible city.

I got assigned so many new players in my city that I began just using city forum to address them all at once.

Eventually I formed an association for them to join and they eventually all did.

Being in our own city with none of the stronger egos that normally play this game has enabled the little band of noobs to learn at their own pace and ... actually... do quite well. We are in era 3 . we dropped to 12th city, and rose to 6th association last I checked.

Not going to win, but definitely well enough that top corps are already trying to recruit a lot of these guys away.

Most importantly, they are saying they are enjoying the game more.

I think the mentor matters some, but I also think being in a 'noob city' that is not being raided by more senior players enabling them to learn their game without immediately being called names by people is important.

P.S. My noobs regularly wait 45 minutes with over 25% online to haul a new RG without a single ton breaking golden hour..

P.P.S. There should be a golden hour task in the tutorial (late) but it is a game mechanic that gets a lot of new players flamed for reasons they have no understanding of.

• @Drama Magne.... If only I shared your experience.

Nearly all my newbies offered were in Red already. 2 of teh many I approached responded. One of those clearly knew how to play the game and was deputised by a large Assoc 3 days after I was offered to Mentor. Suspiciousley he had no previous experience in his profile.

So of all those offfered to me on several servers only 1 has appeared to be genuinely new and interested in playing the game.

As to your recommnedation for Tutorial content. YES! a very good idea. I would love to see such content taught.

• I guess I should be a little clearer.

I responded to all 10 assigned to me. I got three lottery tickets, and 2 of them are still playing and in the association. The rest are long gone.

My observation was, that rather than mentoring specific players, I mentored a city, that only had new players in it (75% brown level no stars). That model seems much more viable than direct assigning of players to people.

I should point out, that I also don't mentor from a " here's how to play perspective". Its more from a "If you want to play this way, here are the top corps/players playing that way, and here's what they are doing and why"

I also call hourly RGs from the first week. over time that expands from me dancing with myself to a few quiet partners, then a whole dance troop as folks have picked up on how their actions can tailor the world they play in.

But again, this all works because it is a city of noobs, for noobs and run by noobs with no pressure and no outsized competition to make them feel powerless/pointless from the get go. 5 weeks in, and my noobs are now the strong players reaching out to and recruiting noobs from neighboring cities. but its all anchored on a central city where all the information is public and non-confrontational.

• P.S. My noobs regularly wait 45 minutes with over 25% online to haul a new RG without a single ton breaking golden hour..

Good to see you're aboard with this finally :P

Nearly finishing a good in a single recalc is a lovely past time right :D

I don't think it should be in the tutorial though.Because then you get all new newbies whining people should wait for recalcs eventhough there is only 2 people online.Because you know ...counting who is online(or asking in chat,eventhough its hidden nowadays) is extremely hard and delivering slightly more goods then you would without golden hour in that golden hour because you waited three quarters of a hour is just :cursing:

Unless the tutorial task would also incorperate that ammount you deliver in that golden hour should be higher then then deliveries 2 recalcs after you start hauling(in your example 45 minutes of 0 seconds+1 hour of whatever the waiting time is then).But i think thats to complicated for the tutorial.

Example where breaking happy hour in a (unactive) city results in more goods delivered :

A: 45 minutes parked(or hauling something else)+Hauling full happy hour = 100%

B: Breaking happy hour 45 minutes early adds 20% to the total schedule time of A= 75% deliveries of A plus one hour of the increased total schedule time= 80%. Total goods delivered is 155% of A.

Also as an example of drama caused : two days ago we in grandcentral's SLC leveled at 15 minutes past the hour.Recalc also happens at 15 minutes past the hour.And on 20 past the hour someone was causing drama about golden hour ; "we all know it will be broken so i might as well be the one breaking it".

No tutorial will ever fix that ^^

• Well the gravity of your math aside. (if I drive the wait time up to 20 minutes in that first 45%, you aren't hauling much, if anything from that industry in the second hour).

But then you are right... what if hauling the full golden hour would tap out the RG before the hour is over. That is certainly not a happy time.

I would counter that the path to understanding ALL of these 'Master' level conversations all start from the basic concept that there is more to the game than just putting your trains on a good and hauling it, and I believe happy hour is the gateway to introducing players to that insight.

P.S. The folks in my corp have heard rumors that MY mentor is wandering around our server. :)

• For me it is frustrating putting in all the effort to be a mentor and there is no response.

Is there a way for the person to respond to our initial Welcome - with two buttons, Accept Mentor / Dismiss Mentor?

Then we will know whether the person wants to receive all our messages.

The initial message we send as mentors should be sent to their message boxes with a Flag to catch their attention.

• Here a screenshot of a mentor message: (from US-szenario)

Is there a way for the person to respond to our initial Welcome - with two buttons, Accept Mentor / Dismiss Mentor?

as you can see there are two options: leave the mentoring program or get a new/other mentor (both are links)

The initial message we send as mentors should be sent to their message boxes with a Flag to catch their attention.

you get this large icon (mentors avatar) on the right edge; this sure catches attention ;)

For me it is frustrating putting in all the effort to be a mentor and there is no response.

some people just do not want to answer; they even follow your instructions but without any answer or additional question

.... and because of a bug you still get inactive players on your list (should be fixed soon) ... and without being online it is hard to react ;)

• some people just do not want to answer; they even follow your instructions but without any answer or additional question

I think that is important to understand.

I think many folks expect 'being a mentor' means having a bunch of folks doing what you tell them.

It is just the opposite.

Mentoring meant
    --- posting a bunch of stuff in in city forum to crickets. (what others are doing, what they could do)
    --- ultimately forming a corp to take in folks who wanted to join a 'mentoring' association 9filled fast)
    --- posting a bunch of stuff in corporate forum to crickets (options the corp could do, why other corps do what they do, different corp strategies)

I would get the occasional individual message. And there is always that ONE player who is very eager to learn and active communicating. In my current game, he introduced himself by telling me that my assessment of Ravens was all wrong. (he was right. :) )

Over time folks participation levels have increased as they have become more comfortable with the game (era 6, 100K ahead of 6th place corp, 15k behind 4th... they have become VERY comfortable. :) )

• I'm a newbie, and havent seen anything about this until reading this thread. Perhaps because I joined a server that was midway through era2?

Anyway, Ive kind of done this myself - reached out to players on the in game message boards asking for advice on what strategies to follow, and that is great. It's always nice to get 'rewards' in game for these efforts though, (for the players nice enough to help out a newb) so let me know if there is a menu somewhere to find this official mentor programme.

Thanks

• I'm a newbie, and havent seen anything about this until reading this thread. Perhaps because I joined a server that was midway through era2?

Anyway, Ive kind of done this myself - reached out to players on the in game message boards asking for advice on what strategies to follow, and that is great. It's always nice to get 'rewards' in game for these efforts though, (for the players nice enough to help out a newb) so let me know if there is a menu somewhere to find this official mentor programme.

Thanks

I believe the mentoring programme automatically allocates New Players to current players as mentors from Level 10 - so if you have reached level 10, then you will automatically be assigned players to mentor.

I've attached a few images for you to see what it looks like on your screen.

If you have any further questions you can always send me a message in the game and I'll gladly answer you.

Looking forward to connecting with you.

• Thank you Long Haul.

I havent seen anything like this appear in my game yet, on either of the two servers I am playing on.
    I just went up to Career level 3, when I realised how to cash in my points. I skipped level 2 because I wasn't aware of how it worked. Now I have my baby career engine! yey! If someone wants to mentor me that'd be cool, but I have found a couple of experienced players in my cities in game to ask questions of, and they are very helpful.
    So my question was, can those players already helping me, get rewarded by claiming to be my mentors?

Thanks, have a great day!