Trainspotters revisited

• I have a small idea about trainspotters, which I want to present.
    The ideal of collecting trainspotters is nice, but I think that even after Update 4.8.0 it will be still a little bit dissapointing and frustrating.

Here is what I want to suggest.

Collecting tranispotters doesn't give money but points. The number of points should depends on probability. Since I don't know what these chances are, I present some arbitrary values (red numbers under the pictures, see link below).
    lraWnR.jpg

Players collect these points and can exchange it in any time for bonuses. For example like these:

[Item]: [Cost]
    Money: #pts*(player prestige)/1000*100$ [rounded down]
    Prestige: #pts/100 [rounded down]
    Research points: #pts*#Era/1000 [rounded down]
    Free waggons: #pts/50 [rounded down]

Engine boost voucher: #pts/150 [rounded down]
    Instant dispatch voucher: #pts/100 [rounded down]
    Licence voucher: #pts/350 [rounded down]
    One free track: #pts/300 [rounded down]
    Mechanic voucher: #pts/500 [rounded down]

Cheaping building upgrade X%: X=log((#pts-#Era*100)*(player prestige)) [rounded down]

Bonus engine update: #pts/1000 [rounded down]
    Cargo/Passenger bonus engine from current era (ver.1): 20000
    Cargo/Passenger bonus engine from chosen era (ver.2): 20000 (-2000 for difference between eras)

To give a better perspective, I prepared an interactive version of these bonuses.

Trainspotters - Google Tabellen

Of course many of you may say, that costs are bad and should be changed. It's an exemplary values and in the final version everything should depends on expected value from probability theory.

Some additional points (e.g. 1000) can be given for collecting all trainspotters in exchange of current bonuses. A small amount of points can also be given as a reward of watching videos or from lottery tickets. As you can see, there are many options.

So, what do you think about that?

• trainspotters are a bonus. so any reward you get from it is a bonus. imagine if it was'nt there like half a year ago.

Seeing your answer I really doubt if you made some effort to understand what it is about.

• :thumbup:

Took a while to read through your idea NF0, thank you very much for sharing your ideas!

Short version, you would like to see an enhanced edition of the trainspotters feature. Instead of collecting money, players would get points they can then use to purchase different coupons or other advantages.

And as you mentioned, numbers and balancing is a tough one. The next update will make it easier to pick all trainspotters (no more same faces on the map). The prize itself is similar to what you win after opening all daily bonuses of one era. Let's hope this makes the feature seem like more fun.

The point discussion can still continue, as it does sound an interesting idea and would change the minigame completely. Even if I can't promise any new features or changes such as this one, it's an interesting topic and I can see the effort you put into those numbers! Well done!

• Yes, your short version is an essence of above description ;)

Let me explain briefly why shuch idea. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. Every constructive criticism is welcome.

The idea of trainspotters, from the authors point of view is a thing to attract players to be more than just one time per a day in the game.
    If not, well... I don't see any other explanation.

From the players point of view it's a small cash injection, and somethimes, like once per month or even less often, one big reward.
    After update 4.8.0 waiting time will be shorter, but the rest will be the same.

I think that if player's could decide about prizes the willingness to collect trainspotters will be bigger, because you could be more rewarded for your patience, plan in advance and many more. If you don't like to wait, then everything works as it is now - you can turn everything into money.