Sitter Changes

• I was really disappointed with the new changes made to sitters. The introduction of a 15 day limit per round on express server and 30 day limit on normal servers.

The reason i am told is to limit account misuse of someone creating an avatar and leaving the game and the sitter could then control the account through to end game. Now i understand this completely but this is limiting loyal players who have been playing since the start of the game and penalising them for having the audacity to work 12 hour shifts. tut

Now i also think that the new changes is encouraging account login sharing and will not stop cheaters. For example you could just get a friend to sign up who doesnt want to play and he gives you his login details and you take control of the account for the rest of the game thus bypassing the 15 limit anyway.

So my suggestion is to create a way to place something on the account that counts how many times you login in a week. You have to actually login with your account at least 4 times a week otherwise the account is locked and even sitters won't be able to sit until you have logged in and unlocked it. This will weed out any abandoned accounts and stop anyone misusing the sitter function.

Or another suggestion similar to the first would be to have the sitter function with password. When you set your sitter you set a password for that sitter to use. This password has to be changed at least once a week. If after a week the account holder hasn't logged in to set a new password for the sitter then the sitter function is disabled until the account holder logs in and if after 3 weeks still no login then the account is locked until next round unless the account holder contacts RN to unlock it.

This will in my opinion still help genuine players get the help that is needed and also stop misuse of abandoned accounts.

I'm sure others will have the same problems and have other suggestions so lets see if a solution can be found.:thumbsup:

• The Password option, in my opinion, could still be abused just as easily as the current system and would only add an extra layer of complication/irritation. The login count to check for "dead" accounts may help, but still wont stop someone setting up two accounts and controlling both by using sitter function.

• What a great topic Twisted Angel

I hope others join the discussion as well. To limit the abuse of sitter function was not the only reason for these changes. Another reason was players should play the game for themselves, and use the sitter function only when needed. Some players got used to the idea of playing with your own account + sitting another account, never having to worry about being offline or planning your strategy to fit your online hours. You could give all the necessary tools to another player to watch over your account indefinitely.

Sitter mode was reworked with update: Changelog for Update 4.10.0

• It is only possible to sit for an account for a maximum of 30 days (15 days on express servers) in total.
    • Options have been added to allow sitters to use vouchers and Gold (each function can be set separately).
    • A day means, beginning after the daily calculation at 00:00 (UTC) until the next day at 00:00 (UTC). In this time the sitter can do his sitting more than once and it counts as one day. After 00:00 (UTC) of the next day the next day begins and is only counted if the sitter does sitting further.

What if there were other options after the 15 / 30 days are used up? What are the things you need the most from a sitter, if you yourself are unavailable during a workday (8-12 hours)? Could there be coupons for example that mimic the sitter functions, when other players visit your station concourse?

• In regards to sitters and the 15 day limitation

If someone is going on vacation and leaves on Friday afternoon and is gone through the weekend for 2 weeks and returning on Sunday evening it would be 16 - 16 1/2 days.

An option would be to set the limit to 1/2 the game time - 21 days or 3 weeks on express servers and 42 days or 6 weeks on regular servers

• One of the main problems for anyone is the bank hitting its limit and the RP points being full. These can fill even before the 12 hours are up that a sitter can help.

Maybe introduce a function where if your bank hits its limit you don't lose the cash and its put into a reserve until you can come online and can then upgrade your bank and collected your funds from the reserve.

Could there be an option that allows an associations members to press a button when they see your are in the red with your balance so it transfers it to the reserve.

Oh this could actually be a use for an association bank like safety deposit boxes if that makes sense. The member could deposit your excess funds in the association bank but no one else can touch it only you are able to withdraw it.

• I was thinking about your idea of coupons but wondering how that would work.

Would it be possible to win coupons in lottery to be able to add days to your sitter allowance but make it so they are only be able to be won in era 5. So if someone is trying to misuse accounts etc you have your 15 days which would only allow someone to sit until end of era 2. Genuine players would find a way for the 15 days to last them 4 weeks before they can win a couple to extend. This also would have to have a limit of say 10 max coupons per account.

Or could someone collecting your bonuses win a coupon allowing them access to a function similar to a sitter one. For example If your balance is in the red on the widget and no one is allowed to collect a bonus then they can click on it watch a video and gain say 10 mins sitter access to enable them to service trains and sort your bank out and allocate your rp .

Also

• Personally i think the change made by RN is rubbish, however on the flip side i get the reason why the change has been made. I have played the game for 5 yrs now and something like this would poss put me off playing as it will just get too difficult and i can see my 'game' suffering especially when we all work hard to build it all up in the first place. In the real world job changes, shift changes etc has forced me to go over my 12 hours quite a bit but i always log in at lease once a day for a considerable chunk of time to be able to play the game satisfactorily. The use of sitters for me was to make sure experience points were lost due to maxing out (and at the best of time this are annoying to progress through) and to stop loss of money because bank has maxed out. Every time i log in i make sure bank is upgraded, wagons are bought, track is built and any other buildings upgraded to maximise the bank contents ready for the next.

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep with the limitations if you have to but say couple of days per era rather than just 15 for the whole round just so it gives us loyal players a bit of a chance :)

• As a slightly off topic remark/question: why can't sitters collect station bonuses for corp members and watch videos? In the time one couldn't use gold and stuff, I would get it (one could see ingame time and gold as kindoff equivalent, obviously one can't beat a gold player with enough ingame time, without spending gold). But as sitters can spend gold now, why can't they spend the ingame time?

Regarding the sitting limitation:

One could think about instead of having a X number of days an account can be sat for, having a Y number of days a sitter can sit for an account. Meaning if the Y number runs out, the account owner can simply set a new sitter and the account can be ran by that sitter for Y days again (as one can have two sitters, one could get a break of 2Y days straight, before (s)he needs to set new sitters).

• That day limit can get odd situations as if you are sitter for someone and you go to collect lamps and check other thigs, but if the sittered person logs in and you have been just one minute in, then sitterd person looses one day.

• I guess it more or less work fine now. Its hard to abuse sitter rights much.

Only thing I would change is how days are counted. If I log in as sitter at 23:59 now, for two minutes, it will count it as 2 days.

If I log in 20 times, each time for 10 minutes during day, between 00.00 and 24:00 (midnight), it will count it as 1 day, even if I spent 100 times more time on account.

I think that a 'day of play role of sitter' should start counting when I log in, for next 24 hours.

• What if there were other options after the 15 / 30 days are used up? What are the things you need the most from a sitter, if you yourself are unavailable during a workday (8-12 hours)? Could there be coupons for example that mimic the sitter functions, when other players visit your station concourse?

It's not just workdays, I mean an ordinary night out with friends almost always means waking up the morning after with the bank having been over-full for hours on end and research points at a dead halt.

For most lab levels with a +acc it's what 13h until you have to logg on?

Make another level of +acc, let's say "premium", that makes the bank twice as big as +acc and doubles the amount of RP you can store, and cuts the attrition rate of engines in half after they are below 80% or something. It would easily be worth another 100 gold/week or whatever.

Now excuse me, I've got a train line to run!

• I haven't looked at the options which a sitter has right now, so no comments from me on that part.

When players' banks are hitting their limits they should upgrade their banks sooner and/or empty them before going offline, this will prevent banks overflowing most of the times.

My thoughts:

Player1 has a maximum of 4 sitters during the round, 2 at a time (Sitter1-4).

Sitter 1 and 2 have 50 opportunities each to sit Player1.

Sitter 3 and 4 have 25 opportunities each to sit Player1.

After being offline for 12 hours Player1 can be sitted by either Sitter1 or Sitter2.

From the moment that Sitter 1 (or 2) login Player1's account to sit Sitter1 has a 30 minute window (timer starts count down from 30 to 0) to do what has to be done (upgrade station, sell/buy trains, switch schedules, even participate in a competition). When the timer reaches 0, Sitter1 has lost 1 opportunity (49 left), and if necessary will automatically be logged off Player1's account. And after that Player1's account will be blocked for 5 hours for the sitters (like the 12 hours when Player1 logs off). (If Player1 login himself while being sitted, the timer won't reach 0 so no opprtunity is lost.)

When Sitter1 and/or Sitter2 don't have opportunities left they have to be replaced by Player1 for Sitter3 and/or Sitter4.

For Express-servers some numbers have to be changed.

:engine1: NL01 Stoomketel :engine1: NL201 Euromast :engine1: COM202 Loch Ness :engine1:

:engine1: ES201 El Escorial :engine1: DE101 Golden Gate :engine1:

• Thats sounds ok I was thinking along similar lines myself. At present no one can sit for 12 hours which should be kept as it is. If you do need a sitter on your account they should only need to be sitting for max 15 mins to sort your things out that is ample time to do what is needed. Then i would suggest that no one can sit for another 4 hours and again only for 15 mins. So basically a sitter can roughly sit 4 times a day for approx 1 hour in total. Or instead of 15 days make it in hours so say 1 hour a day x 6 weeks for express server is 49 hours so round off to 50. Then on normal servers this would be 100hrs. May be worth having a look at the numbers then tweaking a little.

• I can understand that RN is trying to minimise the use of double accounts. But setting a limit of sitter days, the loyal and fair playing people and not to forget paying players are really disadvantaged. Sometimes a good an loyal player needs more than 30 days a sitter can take care of his or hers account.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• I can understand that RN is trying to minimise the use of double accounts. But setting a limit of sitter days, the loyal and fair playing people and not to forget paying players are really disadvantaged. Sometimes a good an loyal player needs more than 30 days a sitter can take care of his or hers account.

Then he can start game at the start of era2 for example, instead of playing since beginning of server. Or just build up Laboratory and Bank to maximum early and skip few more days of playing during early phase of server, without that much of lose.

1/3 of sever round is a lot, in my opinion.

• I have needed sitter a lot this round … more than I expected when I started. I liked the changes when they were implemented and having had to use them I still like them. I found myself indefinitely sitting an account too often for comfort. No instructions and no idea if the person was ever going to turn up again.

I have had to think carefully about when I use sitter and when I don't this round but I think that is as it should be. I will be taking the next round as a break and then the round after I will be able to play fully again. But I think that is the way it should be. If I don't have the time to play then I don't play. I don't feel penalised because of that. It is life.

• Then he can start game at the start of era2 for example, instead of playing since beginning of server. Or just build up Laboratory and Bank to maximum early and skip few more days of playing during early phase of server, without that much of lose.

1/3 of sever round is a lot, in my opinion

You can't predict situations which can occur during a round and someone needs a sitter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• My two cents on the sitter changes.

I am a little surprised that RN decided on a maximum amount of sitter days even before they introduce us the promised changes on the laboratory (a poll a while back); these would have made it possible not to log in more then once a day. For a lot of people this would be a real gamechanger.

Now a suggestion.. with introducing a maximum amount of sitterdays it would be really!! helpfull if I could set my own time before someone could sit me. Now I notice that I run out of sitterdays really quick because people just see the sittericon when they login and have no clue how long it has been since I logged in; it requires extra steps to find that out. 12 hours is often too short for me, I would like to have the possibility to change this to 18 hours, or even 24...

But I can imagine for others, they would like to make it shorter even, like 4 or 8 hours. The 12 hour minimum was originally set, I suppose, to prevent double accounts; now with the new maximum amount of days this doesnt apply anymore. So why not leave it fully open to the players themselves… just let them type in a number.

Also with all the new options you can click to authorize your sitter to do things (really like it btw!!), even goldfunctions there are still some things I mis.

For example on one server I removed my sitters just because they started spending my RP on the wrong trains, in the new research tree you have a lot of option to go either up or down.. how can they make those choices without me?? But I cant expect them to have a list with what each sitter wants, so it would be really nice if I can opt-out for sitters to spend my research points at all.. I rather miss 4 points for not logging in then see 30 points wasted on a train I will never use.

Last one.. there is an error when someone decided to not let their sitters spend vouchers (i.e. for tracks), it means that I cant lay tracks at all until they decided to spend the voucher themselves...

As I started with this post, Im a bit surprised about these changes, not because I cant imagine them being neccesary but because I think this required much more thought then just setting max amount of days… there are so many possibilities for RN to make this function even more interesting and helpfull; right now I feel you guys missed an opportunity by just blindly introducing a number.

Really hope this, and all other thought, will be forwarded to the developers; I think this doesnt require much work to make it perfect.