Stolen diamonds - and justice for all!

• Stolen diamonds - and justice for all!

We have recently witnessed a great theft.

Many diamonds were stolen! Fairly stolen.

Stolen but fair.

Fair but stolen.

The theme is for the diamonds of the winter event.

All diamonds over 500 were stolen.

These are diamonds won fairly.

According to the rules of the game.

Earned with a lot of time and effort!

I admit that the decision to cut diamonds to 500 is fair.

But stealing honestly won diamonds is a great injustice!

Developers change the rules.

Their desire to set a maximum threshold is not bad.

But the problem is that they put that limit after the game ends. Not before it started.

But such a change in the rules must have a fair compensation.

What I suggest?

I suggest developers become alchemists!

And turn all the stolen diamonds into gold!

Because there are already many hurt feelings of the theft.

I suggest that there be an additional compensation of 10% gold.

So with a little alchemy!

1000 diamonds will turn into 1100 gold! (= winning jackpot)

(There may be a better formula!)

But because, along with diamonds, many gold and lottery tickets have been obtained. Perhaps the most fair compensation is 10%.

And justice for all!

With respect,

HMR

p.s.

I have won 264 diamonds.

And this way I will get 0 gold :)

• It seems the Rail nation team has double standards.

There is the Career engine that gives an advantage to players who have been playing the game for a time now. I'm perfectly fine with it because I think that effort and commitment to the game should be rewarded. But then again they cap the diamonds to 500 so everyone has a more balanced restart in the events.

This is completely illogical. If someone spent his/her time and obtained more diamonds than the rest then this person should be able to keep this advantage. It is the same as the career engine (time spent playing the game determines your advantage), so why this cap?

I posted below the announcement of their decision, but I guess they don't want people to see it since it was not published. No insults or hard words were in my post to deserve a censorship, only facts.

FYI I had over 4000 diamonds in the event. I got hit badly :)

• I'm sorry for your loss.

I think you should get a fair compensation.

Developers change the rules.

Their desire to set a maximum threshold is not bad (And in the case of a career train we are very limited.)

But the problem is that they put that limit after the game ends. Not before it started.

But such a change in the rules must have a fair compensation.

• I had won 6500 diamonds or something like that.

Why do I think their decision is fair and doesn't need any compensation ? Because I already won way too much on my server (ca. 15'000 gold overall, a free top1 with most PP record on the way, best engine of the era instantaneously every era, and so on).

Basically, the diamonds were a small part of what you gained. For every diamond gained, you also had some gold, many lottery tickets, etc. To say those diamonds should be changed back to gold, is to hand over a lot of gold to a few people, that already gained a lot from the event. I'm afraid you would create a huge gap between those few that played the event fully, and the others. (I would basically be unbeatable for the next round as well, just by paying my top 1 with all the gold I've gained).

Your idea is interesting, but the ratio is too great I think. 10 diamonds = 1 gold feels more balanced to me. Even though, as I said, I think we've won enough already as it is, and the promise of new events like that by itself, is worth the reset of the diamonds count.

• I don't think that your winning or mine are the point. The point is that, like stated, they are doing this after the event after some people protested. Who protested and why, I have no clue since I can't see a discussion anywhere and no one was invited to participate in it.

• I don't think that your winning or mine are the point. The point is that, like stated, they are doing this after the event after some people protested. Who protested and why, I have no clue since I can't see a discussion anywhere and no one was invited to participate in it.

Nobody complained when they changed the gold winnings midway in the event, because everybody realised that too much gold given freely would mean way too much imbalance in the game long term.

This event basically destroyed one server due to the winnings. I don't think anybody wants this event to cause discrepancies long term. IMO, that's what would happen if you gave back too much gold.

• But because, along with diamonds, many gold and lottery tickets have been obtained. Perhaps the most fair compensation is 10%.

• Just to share how bad someone can be hit: 98.6% of my diamonds have evaporated (yes I had 36 175...), I wonder how you can EVER say that is "FAIR". Also think about it this way: in a couple of events players will have a significant lead over new players anyway, so we cut the diamonds another time?

To stress it again, I find it ridiculous, outrages and whatever words you want to add to that...

• Hey

I fully understand this problem no matter what RN will do it will never be fair, so another way out of this could be look into history books.

What do a country with to high inflation - Yes either U change coins to a new coin or devalue ate the coin.

In this case i think - find a new metal, and offer all with diamants to exchange to new metal in a rate RN decide, then U can take the offer or not, and If Rn is very nice U can exchange to gold in another exchange rate, and we all start up again with a new metal.

Cheers Rype

• 100 diamonds = 5 gold for everyone. Thus, we all start the WinterEvent from scratch with clear and fixed rules.

The game should have a link with RN, and that instead of diamonds, each round had one of the 48 merchandise of the main game, thus, already with the last Round-zero of diamonds, it starts with Round-1: coal , Round-2: wood ... Round-48: Pills, Round 49: Diamonds, and the circle closes... in total 50 Rounds (Zero to 49).

And everything returns to zeros once more.

• I would like to mention one quick thing and then let the discussion continue :)

The winter event was broken in parts, which led to players gathering unimaginable amounts of diamonds. More than we ever expected was possible.

These diamonds were then turned into prizes, so anyone who gathered lots of diamonds - got something out of it. A lot of diamonds got you a lot of gold / goodies as well, so turning these diamonds into another batch of prizes makes little sense.

Now we decided to level the field and give everyone a max number of 500 diamonds. You could compare it to starting a fresh round of Rail Nation, or a round of Monopoly. This max number does not push new players away, does not give the impression that they could never reach for the top.

I hope this helps to see that we had to cut the number of diamonds in a broken system, so that we could start planning future events. Mistakes were made and we released a bugged minigame, and for this we are very sorry. Now we do our best to ensure this event and the diamonds have a future.

This is the bigger picture and how I see it. If I missed something crucial, please let me know.

• And again the even bigger picture:

Also think about it this way: in a couple of events players will have a significant lead over new players anyway, so we cut the diamonds another time?

• Same thing happend on PTR. Players even told u. I wonder how u still dont expect it then. What are PTR Servers good for?

• Hello!

Thanks for joining the discussion.

I'm in a neutral position.

I understand your point of view. Also the other point of view.

In a sense, we can say that these players have already received their prize.

In a sense, we can say that, right?

But the question has another side.

Let's try to look at the other side.

Along with these awards that players have received, they have also received - Diamonds.

Even diamonds were in the center of their feelings.

Many players have woken up at night to participate in the game and win - Diamonds.

The sky for them opened.

And they have seen an incredible opportunity to win a lot of diamonds.

This opportunity inspires them to make inhuman efforts to do so.

Did the game authors know about this opportunity?

Yes. They knew.

Because they knew. They decided to limit the gold gain. But not the Diamonds.

Why?

It was probably a wrong decision.

Your solution then. Restrict only gold but not diamonds.

It gives great encouragement to these players to play actively.

Make an inhuman effort. To Win Many Diamonds!

Here we are talking about feelings, not numbers.

If you want to make money from the game. You have to win the feelings of Players.

There are many feelings and inhuman efforts in these diamonds.

In addition, you must show a clear testimony that future feelings and efforts of the players will not be empty.

Players' activity should be encouraged.

Not punished.

What you need to compensate is not the number of diamonds.

But the feelings and the effort put into them.

And to show that you love your players. And their activity.

And you encourage them to be even more active in the future.

Because the efforts and feelings they put in will not be in vain.

• 100% on the spot.

I understand that some players made huge winnings but the RN team was aware of that possibility. They even told us we can buy and sell diamonds to make more! They knew it and now they are running away from the aftermath.

I loved the event because it gave me the satisfaction of being productive and rewarded for my effort. It also cost me a LOT of time. It seems that commitment is not a thing RN values.

• I have a new proposal on how to solve the problem.

Let's make the mistake of success.

You see in this game and the number of diamonds a mistake.

And in the future, there will be no more unbalanced games.

Where so many diamonds can be earned.

But that mistake was a great success among the players.

Many players liked this mistake.

What am I suggesting?

To realize the great potential of this mistake and call it success.

All diamonds must be returned to the players!

There is no need to compensate them when you return their diamonds.

What to do with the unbalanced result of the game?

I suggest making another kind of currency. For example rubies.

And the ruby to be a reward for balanced games.

And diamonds remain a reward for unbalanced games.

Do not give up on unbalanced games. They bring great joy.

There must be games of both types. (Balanced and unbalanced)

And for each type game to have its own currency.

You need to change only the benefits of diamonds.

Because they are imbalanced.

The benefit should be logarithmic.

Or there will be none at all. Diamonds from all games will be added together. But each game is for itself.

Maybe something else ...

Please see the great success and potential of your mistake!

• Even easier: Close and cancel the "Winter Event" game forever. And each one received the respective gold for the diamonds won and good ones who managed enough, but it happened, it is not a tragedy.

Open a new game with the same style and dynamics, but no winter theme specifically, but elements of Rail Nation, with the RN-RGs: in replacement of the five winter elements, now could be arranged to collect / negotiate 6 RG , and thus 8 rounds are made with the 48 RGs.

In each Round, the 6 RGs will be random of the 6 Eras of the main game, so, for example, in the first Round you would have to collect: Coal, Meat, Flour, Pipes, Machinery and Electronics.

Thus, there is much more variety than just 5 items to collect and 8 Rounds are set for a Championship, so there will be winners for each Round and by Championship. After 8 rounds, everything is restarted to zero, and it starts again.

Of course, take measures to avoid repeating the phenomenon, such as limiting the amount of resources bought / sold in the resource market, limit it according to the level of play: the more player-level more resources can trade the player... and / or determine a maximum quota daily for everyone, which can be fix or... even better: a variable fee every day (equal for all players), depending on the amount of resources traded (for all players) the previous day, for example.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Terrre ().

• I think what a few people are failing to realize is that this mini game is intended to be re-used, and not just once a year for the wither event. In preparation for that, the game has been "fixed" so that this method of market manipulation used to acquire MASSIVE amounts of diamonds, gold, lotto tickets , and more has been seriously nerfed. Because it has been nerfed, no player (new or existing)_ would ever be able to catch those that had 5k, 10k, even 20k + diamonds. BECAUSE the more diamonds you have career, the faster you will be able to obtain them in each of the future events due to increasing currency bonuses based on the station building level, which is based off of career diamond collection.

Was it fair? Absolutely not! Was it for the greater good? maybe....

Those that worked hard to manipulate the system will still have their won gold and a head start of future events. Which I agree they should have. But I think maybe the solution should have been a little different if RN wanted to make it 'fair'.

Personally I feel they should have reset everyone to zero, and handed out a special career achievement as a thank you to those who put in the effort to show RN their mistake..... 'Stock Broker 2018' or something similar -- with 2500 career points for the top 1% of earners, 2000 CP for top 5%, 1000CP for top 10% and 500 CP for anyone else over this magic number of 500 that was chosen. (I have below 500 and would receive nothing for this.)

Would my solution be fair? NOPE!, it also takes away what was already earned. But it does create a level playing field for the NEW game that was developed to replace the broken one.

Just my two cents, your opinion may vary.

• Those who gathered a lot of diamonds, got a big prize for their achievement. The efforts were not in vain in this regard, and turning these diamonds once more into a 'compensation' gold/tickets does not sound like a solution people are after. It would also not be fair for other players.

An image where we stole diamonds is very unfortunate, and our intention was never ever to cause hurt over the diamonds people gathered. To some these diamonds were a proof of how creative people can be and how much effort they put into the game. We, in a way, took this badge of honor away.

This Winter Event was meant to be a fun bonus activity while playing the game, and our way of saying thank you for playing Rail Nation. Unfortunately, our warm and fuzzy vision of hot cocoa and cookies in the winter market turned into a game of diamonds, and caused hurt feelings for those who dedicated their wits and time to it.

We have other events and minigames we would like to share with you in the future, and as we learned from this experience, these need to be well thought out and tested before launch. One thing is certain, a high score that could never be reached is not an option, if we ever wanted to have similar events in the future.

I hope we can take the best parts from this minigame, and together prepare for a better event next time. Thank you for the feedback, for all the ideas and also thank you for showing us how much you care about events like these.

If possible, I would like to turn this conversation into how the next events and minigames might look like. What are your wishes, if the diamonds will not be an issue anymore? If the prize would be just a nice little bonus? Should there be career points for the winners?

• Those who gathered a lot of diamonds, got a big prize for their achievement. The efforts were not in vain in this regard, and turning these diamonds once more into a 'compensation' gold/tickets does not sound like a solution people are after. It would also not be fair for other players.

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with what you say.

In a certain sense.

But I try to show you the other side.

I'll try to explain it again.

At least know about future events.

You work in the field of feelings.

Games are not just maths.

And the results are not just numbers.

Games are feelings.

Players play to satisfy their feelings and experience joy.

Some of the most important feelings are the feelings of achievement and ownership.

Most games are based on these feelings.

Players like to get (points, prestige, tickets, gold, diamonds ...).

But it is always very PAINFUL when they have to give without getting something in return.

Conclusion:

1) Never give the players something you will get.

2) If you get them, you should always give them something in return.

3) If you can not compensate for what you get from them. You must show that you respect their feelings! And you have to give them something symbolic at least.

You must always show that you love your players! And respect their feelings!

Let's get back to this case

The game begins.

Players get too much gold, diamonds and prizes.

You decide to limit gold.

At this point, you had to limit the diamond to 500!

But you let players get lots of diamonds and prizes!

With this action, you show what the reward will be for their efforts.

The prize will be diamonds and prizes! Yes both!

Many players would continue to play hard even if they only received diamonds for a prize.

Diamonds are the center of this game.

But you give them both! Not just diamonds. But also prizes!

From now on ...

Players play to win both (diamonds and prizes)!

These are the rules you put to them.

And they accept them!

The game is over.

Your point of view:

The result of the game is unbalanced.

There are players receiving more than 14,000 diamonds.

If the next games are balanced.

And from them, the player can receive up to 500 diamonds

How many games must a single player play to reach 14,000 diamonds?

To be fair. The result of the game has to be balanced.

That's the right decision! Congratulations!

But it remains the hard way to balance the game.

You decide to cut the diamonds to 500.

That's the right decision! Congratulations!

According to you. Players have already gotten enough.

We can take their diamonds that are more than 500.

No need for compensation.

They have already received their prize. They got enough!

In a certain sense, true. In a certain no!

Why not?

The viewpoint of the players:

The game begins.

RN: You're dropping the rules!

Players: What are we playing for?

We play for gold, diamonds and awards.

OK! It is worth sacrificing a lot for these awards!

Let's play.

RN: Players get a lot of gold, diamonds and awards. Let's change the rules! Let's stop the gold!

Players: What are we playing for?

We play for diamonds and awards.

OK! It is worth sacrificing a lot for these awards!

Let's play.

The game is over.

At the end of the game, players are happy to have won gold and many diamonds and prizes!

This is a very important moment!

Players have played the rules of the game.

The rules you gave them.

And they have accepted!

All they have earned is honest. By the rules of the game!

And all they have won during the game is theirs!

All gold, awards and diamonds are theirs!

All this is won with many sacrifices!

And there are many feelings in this property.

Suddenly you want to take away from their property without giving anything in return.

In real life, this is called theft.

As a result: Players feel robbed.

Who is right?

Everyone is right from his point of view.

But the question is not about that.

The question is that players feel cheated and robbed!

You define the rules.

You define the prizes!

They follow these rules.

They play very hard.

The most active players are getting out of bed at night! At every hour! To participate in the game!

They sacrifice a lot. Time, effort and sleep.

And so every day & night.

In order to receive the prizes determined by you!

But then ... you take part of their reward without compensating them!

That's how it gets.

Most active players are punished for their activity!

They feel that way.

Activity should be encouraged.

Not to be punished!

You own everything!

But you refuse to give anything!

Show that you love your players!

You can give them so much!

Which do not cost you anything!

You can give them special clothes!

Or a special product series!

or something else...!

Conclusion:

1) Never give the players something you will get.

2) If you get them, you should always give them something in return.

3) If you can not compensate for what you get from them. You must show that you respect their feelings! And you have to give them something symbolic at least.

You must always show that you love your players! And respect their feelings!