Which Switch?

• Dear players,

Here is a puzzle for you from one of our passenger engines: The toilet door is closed and you cannot see if the light is on or off through the door. However, you know the light is off at the start. Outside of the toilet, there are three light switches on the right (1, 2, 3). One of the switches controls the light bulb in the toilet. You can flip the switches however you want, but once you open the door, you can no longer touch the switches.

How do you figure out without a doubt which switch controls the light?

Write us your solution by commenting to this thread, and remember to mention the name of your game world. Only answers with game world mentioned will be part of the prize draw. Please also note that your entry will not be visible immediately.

You can leave us your solution until Friday 22.03.2019 15:00 GMT+1. We will announce the winners by Saturday 23.03.2019 12:00 GMT+1 the latest.

Among all correct entries we will reward 15 winners and give them 3 lottery tickets each.

Please do not forget to mention your server/domain so we know where to send the prize.

Good luck,

Your Rail Nation team

• COM01 Steam Boiler

I'd ask a passenger to try them first: get him to find the switch that opens the door, and then which other switch turns the light.

Davystrainz

• Only one light switch controls the bathroom light. If this is a fact then the other switches have no interaction. It is stated that the light is already off. Just turn them all on.

Cylinder Head (Express)

• When stopped at a Station, press first switch and check from outside through the window.; If light not on; do the same with the second switch. If again, light not on - It must be the third switch!

PythonSteel Smoke Chamber COM03

• Server: PL201 Wawel

You flip the 1st switch, wait for a while, then turn of the first one, flip the 2nd one and go it.

If the lightbulb is off, but is warm it means it's the 1st switch.

If the lightbulb is on it's the 2nd one.

If the lightbulb is off and cold it's the 3rd one.

• Turn switch 1 on - open, if light is on, so it is switch 1, if not - close and turn switch 2 on - open again if light is on, so it is switch 2, if not - it is switch 3.

US01 Crankshaft.

• Well, it is doable with traditional light bulbs that generate heat. You turn on 1 and 2, wait a while, then switch 2 off and go in the toilet. If the light is on, then the correct switch is 1, if it is off and warm, it is 2, if it is off and cold, it is 3. However with LED lights it might not work as they can be always cold.

Jeboach at COM202 Loch Ness

• Turn one light switch on, wait a few minutes, then turn it off and turn another light switch on. Go into the room and feel the light bulbs. The one that’s still warm is connected to the switch that you first turned on, the one that is on was the second switch you turned on, and the last bulb is controlled by the switch that you didn’t touch.

Smoke Chamber

• I will turn on switch 1 for a few minutes, then switch it off, I turn on switch 2 and immediately go into the bathroom. If the light is on, it is switch 2, if it is off, but the bulb is hot, it is switch 1, and if it is cold and off, it is switch 3.

COM02 Firebox

• Flip switch number 1 and wait a few minutes.

Flip switch number 1 back to its original position, and then immediately flip switch number 2.

Open the door.

If the light is on, then switch number 2 controls it.

If the light is off, then go and feel the bulb with your hand.

If the bulb is hot, the switch number 1 controls it, and if the bulb is cold, then switch number 3, the one you did not touch, controls it.

PT02

• msgt cranton US 102 Grand Central

Flip switch number 1 and wait a few minutes. Flip switch number 1 back to its original position, and then immediately flip switch number 2.

Open the door. If the light is on, then switch number 2 controls it. If the light is off, then go and feel the bulb with your hand. If the bulb is hot, the switch number 1 controls it, and if the bulb is cold, then switch number 3 controls it.

• M1.101 Golden Gate

1. I'll flip swithc no.1 on for 10 minutes.

2. i'll flip switch no.1 off.

3 i flip switch no. 2 on

4. open the door.

5 if light is on switch no.2 is controling the light

6 if no light i feel the bulb, if bulb is hot switch no.1 is controling the light

7 else switch no. 3 is controling the light

• Turn switch 1 on and wait a while before switching it off again.

Turn switch 2 on

Open the toilet door.

If you see light, then switch 2 was the correct one.

If it's dark, feel the light bulb, If it's warm/hot then switch 1 was the correct one.

Otherwise it has to be switch 3

(or the light bulb has to be replaced and I don't know which switch is the correct one)

Player: krijtje

Server: US01 Crankshaft

• Here's the solution:

Switch on switches 1 & 2, wait a moment and switch off number 2.
    Enter the room and feel the lightbulb:

- If the light is ON, you know it's number 1 (the only one still switched ON)

- If the light is OFF and the bulb is HOT : It's switch number 2 (it was on so it got hot, but now it's off)

- If the light is OFF and the bulb feels COLD: it's number 3 because it never had the chance to get hot

Wacko Santa

US103 - Broadway (Express Server)

• Press switch One. Leave it on for two minutes. Press switch One again. Immediately press number two. Open the door. If the light is on, Two is the correct switch. If the light is out, feel the bulb for warmth. If the bulb is warm, the correct switch is number One. If the bulb is cold, switch Three is the correct one.

• I would test each switch one by one and see if the look alike above them is an indicator about the light, in the case it is, then the one switch that activate the indicator reveal that it controls the light.

In the case were more than one activates the indicator, then the indicator must show something else, or there's 2 lights, which doesn't sound right. So the light switch would be the one that doesn't activate the indicator.

If none of the switch activate the indicator, then the indicator would be an occupation indicator that activate when someone is in, then there's no way to know if it's not written next to them and hidden by the PoV of the picture.

Gameworld: US-103 Broadway

• Let the bulbs be A, B and C

Turn on switch A for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn it off and turn on switch B. Open the door and touch the light bulb.

1. if the light is on, it is A

2. if the light is off and hot, it is B

3. if the light is off and cold, it is C

good luck!