High visibility jackets for Trainspotters

• Trainspotters were on the news a couple of days ago:

Wanted for trespassing: Elderly trainspotters who photographed Flying Scotsman in Tamworth - Birmingham Live

Flying Scotsman trespasser trainspotters hunted by police - BBC News

It's given me an idea for the wish list!

How about high vis vests for the trainspotters in Rail Nation to make them easier to see?

Maybe a plus feature or only happens randomly or something??

• By "vests" maybe just give the borders of the boxes our trainspotters are in a brighter colour so they are easier to see?

The easter eggs were easy to see if you zoomed right out, trainspotters aren't as they can be difficult to tell apart from the factories.

• By "vests" maybe just give the borders of the boxes our trainspotters are in a brighter colour so they are easier to see?

The easter eggs were easy to see if you zoomed right out, trainspotters aren't as they can be difficult to tell apart from the factories.

Especially if you are colourblind.

High viz outlines would be great, even if only for the unseen ones.

• Can you give more details on how these are hard to spot and what sort of borders or vests would make these easier to see?

If you see a trainspotter you haven't picked up yet, the photograph will have a golden star like in the image above.

• Hi Samisu,

your picture tells us: Spotters are very very very easily spottable, as long as you have to check just 5 to 20 tracks.

But if you got 100 or 200 tracks (or 500) it's not that easy. So, as I understand the suggestion, this would be more fun (or explains the difficulties):

- frames of the photos in that yellow color that you used for the easter eggs

- easter eggs were also highlighted (glowing), so they made a good contrast in the zoomed out map

- frames of spotter as same color as other icons (see the grain logo) but while other icons grow in size when zooming out, the spotters don't, they become smaller when zooming out

- spotters appear in the tracked area, which is brighter on the map. This reduces contrast and visibility compared to the other information on the map (easter eggs were 90% in the dark area, easy to find)

- if you have to check 200 (or 500) tracks, it will last a long time on your suggested zoom level, but they are very small when 3-4 cities are visible

- spotters hide behind metro and contest information

- the stars are same lightness setting as the frames and surrounding, so no good contrast when zoomed out, adding some intensity (let them glow) would help

Here is your screenshot with yellow frames and I added a zoomed out map in the lower left corner, even with not glowing yellow they are easier to see (maybe the stars lose some contrast, but your graphic artists will have an idea about that):

Kindern erzählen wir Geschichten, damit sie einschlafen.

Erwachsenen, damit sie aufwachen.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Klabbauter ().

• The other option, if possible is for the trainspotters to remain the same size, whatever the zoom used. As Klabbauter says when you have zoomed out they are easily missed, but if they are the same size they can easily be found.

• Okay, so this is about finding the photos when zoomed out. Zoomed in they are easy to find but zoomed out, they can be hard to find?

This is part of the minigame, you can use the collect all voucher or zoom around the map to find and gather all the trainspotters.

• About your example nobody would say they are hard to find.

With a large rail network it's no fun anymore to search for them. To get a better overview you have to zoom out, If the spotter pictures would keep their same size with zooming ut it will become a lot better.

To look for them on the phone app is really hard to do.

In later era's also more and more industries are on the map and they fill the map too.

this doesn't make it easier to find the spotters.

• Thanks for the additional feedback and the image!

The minigame should be fun, no matter the map size or if the trainspotters are collected with app or browser version. Doesn't mean it has to be easy, but it should at least be doable and fun.

Any other thoughts I should forward about the trainspotter photos?

• Okay, so this is about finding the photos when zoomed out. Zoomed in they are easy to find but zoomed out, they can be hard to find?

This is part of the minigame, you can use the collect all voucher or zoom around the map to find and gather all the trainspotters.

Yeah, the question is, how hard the contest is meant to be.

Era 1 is no problem at all for this task, era 5 or 6 with hundreds of tracks ARE a hard job. It's the hard part of game designers to find the best ratio between making it a hard, interesting challenge or a boring much to easy klickbait.

About the vouchers (and not about spotter visibility):

I almost never use them, not even if I won 3 or even 6 of them from the lottery.

Why?

The hard part comes, when you found 23 or 24. With the new algorithm of update 4.14 the guaranteed time to get one (the last) new one is about 1 day. So, if just Petr is missing, I know, during the next 20 hours he will appear ... and the star will appear.

HOWEVER, if it's just Petr missing, if I use the voucher, all 10 spotters will be collected ... and I start the new collection with 0 (zero, nada, no, n'grte) spotters. What I do in this case: I offer 10 or 20 minutes of my life time to find Petr on the map (procrastinating engine maintenance, scheduling etc.), carefully inspecting all tracks between Doneszk and Copenhagen.

Because: If I find Petr and click him first, I get the win and start with 9 NEW spotters (maybe with the voucher after clicking Petr). So after that I have to find 16 new ones the next days instead of all 25, and 16 days with a guaranteed new find instead of 25 will deliver the next spotter win more than a week early.

Kindern erzählen wir Geschichten, damit sie einschlafen.

Erwachsenen, damit sie aufwachen.

• I totally agree, some TS are very well disguised (unintentionally I am sure) against white snow or yellow arid areas, sure you get used to remembering to double check those areas after you click on all the obvious ones but making them a uniform size no matter what zoom you are on the map will make them far easier to spot with a simple zoom in and out. You do it for comp details over a city so you know how to do that.