Fake players on JP01

• That's not surpring, given that I never said that. You misunderstood what I actually wrote.

2FA is not impossible because it's illegal (it's not), it's dangerous because it would effectively shut down user acquisition. The steady stream of new players that is keeping RN alive would reduce massively and result in the game having to close quite soon. That is the problem. The legal problems we discussed were about social security numbers, not 2FA.

I'm not being negative here, I'm being realistic. And it's simply not a realisic solution to basically kill off the game, just to get rid of a troll. RN shutting down soon is not in your interest either, isn't it? It's in no ones interest.

So why would we implement an idea that does exactly that?

It's not a single troll, it's a widespread issue.

On the other hand, what some of the other players don't see is that the problem is not just simply in multiaccounting, some of the actions they complain about could be simply performed by valid accounts.

Example:

I was mayor in some city, had a spat with a player and he asked his mates to login all their accounts to vote me out. You're talking about a good dozen of players with 3 and 4 stars that logged in the server just vote me out because I dared to complain to a player, and they kept the accounts active, I had to move somewhere else because we lost contol of town.

This said, the steady stream of new players might not be sufficient to replace the loyal ones, once we get up and go. But again, you probably now this better than me, which is why you are saying what you're saying.

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• And here we are exactly at the point. You accept the risk to lose your basic player because of new ones.

This is your focus:

Gain more profit with new players.

And this will kill your game much faster, than a lower number of new players with 2FA.

What you not understand is: You will hire new players with 2FA. Maybe not that much, but much better ones. This is a long-term thing...just for your information.

Players, who accept a 2FA are much more interested. They really WANT to play the game, against all odds, even a 2FA. They don't want to troll around and make some investments and kill a server. They want to know, how the game is working, what are the rules and what is the comunity like.

The chance, that most of this players will establish as a basic player community is much higher than with all these trolls you will get with your "keep it simple" strategy.

And beside this...

What will you do with your huge amount of new players, if you really get them ? No matter on what server, your endgames are already lagging with the existing number of players...so what will you do with your "new players" ? Take another risk to lose players because of a more lagging endgame ?

What did you win ?

I tell you:

Nothing.

• Now suddenly it's not allowed anymore to give a common answer as "We have received your message and look into it. If we find abnormalies we will take the proper actions"?

You misunderstood that. Nobody said that. What you just wrote is something we definitely can write. We can just not provide any indication if or what we did to someone elses account.

Gain more profit with new players.

New players don't generate as much profit as established ones, so no, that is not our focus. This isn't an "either or" decision, "either new players for current players". We need both, we focus on both, both are necessary.

And this will kill your game much faster, than a lower number of new players with 2FA.

Well you say that, but I'm afraid that's not realy true. Current players are important, you are absolutely right about that. And, given the fact that I mostly interact with current players, they are also the main focus of my work. I am very well aware of the incredible value the core playerbase has. But that still doesn't mean we can focus on them no matter the consequences. In this particular case, the consequences would be the end of Rail Nation. That isn't in the interest of the core players either.

What will you do with your huge amount of new players, if you really get them ?

We don't. It's usually a steady flow of new players, not sudden masses that flood the servers.

No matter on what server, your endgames are already lagging with the existing number of players...so what will you do with your "new players" ?

To answer your question anyway: We are working on the new RTS and HTML5. Both will increase performance. The new RTS is specifically designed to be able to handle the increasing complexity of the game (in comparison to the past), future features and, that's the relevant part here, the endgame.
    So in the hypothetical situation that player numbers increase in a sudden burst, we will be able to handle this better in the future.

Found?DU5gLUo.png

• Well you say that, but I'm afraid that's not realy true.

Truth again.

Streitaxt tells his opinion, you tell yours. From the perception of both of you, both is "The Truth".

To find out, which is the truth, or ... which truth will be seen as true by a majority, both ways should be tried.

However, Streitaxt tells of the experiences of other publishers and internet companies, while you have nothing but words (opinion, perception), which on your perception might be "really true" ... and then tell us, on what "We" focus.

And if I do like Streitaxt and look at numbers: yes the new ones are - you tell it - a steady number, coming and going, not changing the sum at the end. But the "incredible valus" of old players ... it's decreasing. You lose them, no matter what you focus on. That's what happens for years now. Over the years, the SUM of players is decreasing, going down.

What I wonder about is: there is a crowd of old, trusty, engaged, enthusiastic players, but their number is decreasing. And there is no visible efford (just only words like "in the future we will..:") to KEEP some of the new ones for a time, that they will join the old group.

For me, there is one thing quite obvious here: Samisu is the only one, whose words express enthusiasm about the product, and pride about being the one to talk to us customers.

Enthusiasm is like a fire, a torch ... to keep customers, that flame of enhusiasm should be passed from the makers and their speakers to the customers and players. To keep customers (and to gain new ones) the best way is to express your enthusiasm, your pride, not only by words, but by action, not only by "in the future we might be able..." but by a spirit of "Yes we can!"

I see enthusiastic players here, proud players ... but on the publishers side I only see Samisu acting (acting!) enthusastic and proud and passing on that flame to us.

So, at the end, you may tell Streitaxt to be afraid, cause you know a better truth. However, looking at player numbers (and at business numbers) from my perception Streitaxt is closer to the truth. Streiaxt (and others here) offer THINKABLE ideas, ideas that were successfully tried by others. And instead of trying to find the little diamond in his words, that your team might think about to create increasing numbers and income ... you just tell he's not really true.

Sie sagen immer: "Sei ehrlich und sag, was du denkst."

Und dann sagt man es und dann gucken sie böse..

• Would anyone be interested to discuss this "live" in Discord (I will talk, but writing is also okay for everyone who won't do that) some evening next week?

Found?DU5gLUo.png

• I wholeheartedly agree with you above.

Thank you very much for your great message.

We are real people, real adults who take time of our schedule not only to use Travian game, but patiently come to this forum to discuss about finding solutions about the FAKE players/accounts who are ruining not only the Japanese server, but as mentioned by other CUSTOMERS (yes, Travian, we are your regular customers), also ruin many other servers.... and we meet a manager who not only totally dismiss our concerns, but treats our ideas and thoughts in a very demeaning way, as if we were some bothersome brats.

Are we bothering you very much, community manager? Instead of accepting that there IS a big issue which demands IMMEDIATE action, we get a `ah they are not fake, they are ...(fancy word he created)` ... `ah, this is impossible` , `you are wrong` .. `what you say is not true..` ... `we cant do that` etc etc etc

A big NO in our faces, to everything we say.

Regular old customers just stop using your product because they lose patience with so, so, so many things that are wrong, including the fake players/ accounts, and because they lose patience with attitudes/behaviours like YOURS, Salix.

You say arrogantly `this is the end of rail nation and this is NOT the interest of regular customers`. as if you take us for granted, that we will continue as customers here.

Do you have any idea about your interests?

No matter how much a player loves a game... if the game brings more stress and negative feelings than entertainment, I garantee you, the number of regular customers you have now will not last for long.

The end of Rail Nation is attitudes like yours.

• Would anyone be interested to discuss this "live" in Discord (I will talk, but writing is also okay for everyone who won't do that) some evening next week?

Probably. At least me. (but not today or this weekend, so next week is a good idea for my side)

However ... this thread is international, global even.

Starts with Japanese friends, European players joining later, but soon. And probably some friends in between.

The first problem will be the time ... IF we (you) discuss the problems and objectives of this thread, our Japanese friends should be in the discussion (because, deep in my mind I got the feeling, that there might be a difference between Japanese support and European support).

Second problem, what shall we talk about?

For me, this thread makes clear:

Players here are talking about objectives, achievements they wish to get, goals, aims, starting with having fun, getting rid of misuse, feeling more enthusiasm, keeping a good count of players and friends ... while your very much appreciated (appreciated, because at least you answer, though at least I miss the feeling, that those, who decide about your answers, your bosses, are only just thinking about what customers tell here) answers often focus on the way your company goes (working on RTS for 5 years now, working on HTML5 for 1 year now, etc). Your answers often tell the WAY your company goes for years now, while users here write about objectives and directions to more fun, more trust, more friends in the game. And - honestly - your answers often kill ideas brought forward, before thinking about them can start. Discord discussion should be about what can be used of the ideas, not about why they are impossible or no option.

So, as far as time goes: let our Japanese friends make a suggestion (or 2), and I will stay awake.

As far as themes gos: tell us your objectives, the direction your company decided for, tell us about RN in 2022, so we do not only know your way you picket during the last 5 years, but also the real bright future of RN, the fire, that will create more enthusiasm and fun in us.

So ... time and objectives ... then Discord. (that would be my suggestion)

• thank you very much again Klabbauter.

maybe Salix finally understands.

But what is a discord?

Why we need to have a specific time?

We are discussing here, yes? Each one of us interested in this talk\subject is coming here at our convinient time to read messages and send our reply.

We are so many countries, different times, we work, have busy adult life.

So we come here when we can and we are discussing, are we not? Even that Salix says no to everything.

• But what is a discord?

Why we need to have a specific time?

Discord is an internet service that combines chat and voice connection. Maybe you know Skype or TeamSpeak or other messenger systems that allow voice connection together with written chat.

So, as you don't know it ... you will need time to find it, decide for or against it, install it, learn it ... which might need some extra time.

We are discussing here, yes? Each one of us interested in this talk\subject is coming here at our convinient time to read messages and send our reply.

We are so many countries, different times, we work, have busy adult life.

This is the great advantage of forums: they can be global. You do not have to react immediately, you have time to THINK about the posts of the others, to find the little diamonds in posts that on first reading totally annoy you, and we have to be patient to wait for replies from the other side of our earth.

The disadvantage of written conversation is: we read it with OUR inner voice. If we are angry, if we are afraid of something, we will understand ANY words different from reading later, when whe are happy, when we have fun, when it stopped raining.

Well, and talking about my feelings ... I feel some inconsitency, when I read Salix's posts. He is so keen to answer, so enthusiastic to write ... but then, you call his answers "negative", my words are: they stop/kill the ideas. I have the idea, if we could hear Salix in a coffee shop or over the microphone, we would get a better idea about him ... is he telling HIS own perception or is he just the speaker of the managers of his company? That is, why I would be interested to HEAR Salix, and not my own inner voice, sometimes happy, sometimes angry, sometimes patient or impatient, when I read his words.

Travian's strategy about forums is not to show pride, not to show enthusiasm, not to show coolnees about rules, not to show empathy ... but to be formal, to be rule orientated ... well for me, focussing on rules and formalisme quickly kills empathy.

But without empathy, whithout thanking the other for good and bad posts, without first think about a good point before writing "nonsense" or "not true" or "Impossible" ... that kills games, forums, empathy, enthusiasm, customer count.

• For many international players that are not English native speakers, it is much easier understand a written message in English than someone speaking English.

Here in Japan we use LINE, very popular application here for real time messages, or you can answer later when you have time. Some people will also use Facebook, but not so popular like LINE.

If we must/need talk to someone, we just call them... I never heard of applications like this here, it is mostly messages, so I dont really know any of the applications you said, sorry

(~_~;)

• If we must/need talk to someone, we just call them... I never heard of applications like this here, it is mostly messages, so I dont really know any of the applications you said, sorry

Yes, that might be a problem. All the applications that go between internet users with microphone and speakers/headphones, use "Voice over IP" (VoIP), and as internet providers often are telephone providers too and telephone providers often already use the internet for phone connections and no longer the telephone cables ... locally the providers strictly disallow VoIP, so locally apps like Teamspeak, Discord and Skype might be totally unknown.

And as you said, this thread goes around the world, translating written posts is easier than when a not native English speaker talks to not native English listeners. There are exceptions. During the last 50 years, after my school time, I only once listened to a guy and I thought: this is the original sound of an Oxford born English gentleman ... but he was the owner of a Greek tavern on Astipalayea.

• I simply prefer talking face to face (or rather headset to headset) because this prevents misunderstandings, which seem to happen a lot in this discussion.

For example you, Yuki, seem to think that I don't recognize the problem , which is not at all true and I repeatedly made that very clear in this very discussion. But apparently you haven't read that, or you forgot it or you misunderstood this. That's what happens in a discussion that stretches over days. In an actual conversation, these misunderstandings can be fixed in a matter of seconds while here, in the forum, they derail the entire discussion for days.

It's just an offer. I would prefer to include you guys effectively in finding a solution quickly and effectively. But of course you don't have to. We are adressing the problem internally too. I would prefer to include you, but it's just an offer, of course you can say no.

what shall we talk about?

Discussing possible solutions for different cases of multi abuse within the limits of law, reality, business and technology.

Time: Unless you have specific preferences, I'll let you know early next week. It will be in the evening (more players online/available and no interference with regular work for me) and it won't be Thursay (already got another appointment Thursday evening).

Discord discussion should be about what can be used of the ideas

That automatically makes it necessary to also define what can't be used, doesn't it? Otherwise you are not actually discussing ideas that can be used. I'm afraid a discussion without recognizing the limitations of reality is not very solution-focused.

But what is a discord?

Discord is a free chat software (can also be used in the browser, without any software) and is commonly used by gamers, due to it's simplicity.

Found?DU5gLUo.png

• That automatically makes it necessary to also define what can't be used, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.

If you want to travel to Munich for example, there is no need to think about where you don't want to go. You will not check the trains from Cologne to Berlin or Hamburg for example. But that's not what I talked about, it's how we deal with ideas and suggestions. However you travel on the first week of summer holidays, you might want a train that will NOT stop at Frankfurt airport, cause that will be crowded with tourists. You first think about your destination, then about ideas that might help.

In this case, the 2FA was suggested as an idea, supported by several adult users, players and customers who experienced 2FA on other games and websites, some like it, some do not. However, your answer was like "it can't be used" right away, and your arguments were fantasy "players would leave the game" ... but you gave no proof, that your words base on experience, that you ever tried it.

So, instead of an immediate No ... how about asking your discussion partners: Would customers accept that? How can we find out? Which 2FA applications do you know that would fit to our login system?

So, what I mean: Even if you are absolutely sure to have read about the worst and most impossible way to your destination ("Why not walk to Munich? Would help your health!") keep in touch with your discussion partners, ask questions instead of a No, add questions and second thoughts to your No. Maybe they have something in mind, that you did not think of.

The Pro and Con list (We can use this / This can't be used) should be the RESULT of a discussion, not the second post to an idea.Also means: we should start with brainstorming, and the first rule of brainstorming is: do not talk negative of an idea, no matter how bad it is, during brainstorming collect ideas, not judgment.

Why do I have a gut feeling that in some way this discussions isn't appreciated at all and that is preferred to get it out of here?

With a "face to face" talk all communication is lost afterwards, written it can be read back.

Most of the participants who will join are not english native speaking people and I think the language barrier will be bigger speaking as writing

This will create in my opinion even more misunderstandings.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Watch your thoughts because they can become words

Watch your words because they become your deeds

Watch your deeds because they become your habits

Watch your habits because they become your character

Watch your character because it will become your destiny

Yes, I'd love to talk to you and other players in Discord. Saturday or Sunday, but not late evening. Around 6 p.m. MET would be best for me.

• Why do I have a gut feeling that in some way this discussions isn't appreciated at all and that is preferred to get it out of here?

With a "face to face" talk all communication is lost afterwards, written it can be read back.

Most of the participants who will join are not english native speaking people and I think the language barrier will be bigger speaking as writing

This will create in my opinion even more misunderstandings.

Some good points here.

Face to face discussions, or shall we call it realtime round table talk, on voice with Japanese, Dutch, Finnish, British, American, German and Greek people are a great source for misunderstandings.

There must also be a commitment that the results will be published and would be more binding to the publisher than just a "I will forward that". If you want the time of your customers, it should be very clear that you go into that meeting with more than the idea to make us accept your Nos, your "we can't"s and "impossible"s. That is, what I meant about objectives: more than telling us that there is no way.

We also have to be aware that such a talk will be with an employee of Bright Future, the company in Cologne (the game studio), while the decisions are made by Travian, the mother company from Munich, the publisher. And there has recently been a face to face talk already, which was announced and agreed to for quite a long time, but shortly before that talk, Travian sent a mail about the themes and objectives, which made the talk obsolete.

I am sadly missing the friend you talked to, and those people who left together with him.

It would be great to hear your voice, maybe you will earn more trust or personal sympathy ... but at the end it would be a waste of time of your customers, if again the Travian employees ignore that talk.

And another point: This thread started about Japanese support on misuse or multi reports. If the talk would tell us that you know nothing about Japanese support team ... again that would be a waste of time of our Japanese friends. So: be prepared to talk about the themes that came up here, a "That's not my department" or "I don't know" ... would not create trust.

And about time: 7 pm in Germany (19.00 Uhr) means 2 am (2.00 Uhr) in Japan. This is a thread about worries of our Japanese friends ... THEY should set the time. I would be ready to stay awake or get up early ... we cannot decide and not even talk about problems on Japanese servers, when those customers who named the problems are excluded by time zones. Honestly, a face to face talk would be much more a service of your customers to your company than the other way round.

Which also means: If your company does not allow you to talk face to face during your work time ... well, that means they are not really interested to listen to their customers on the other side of the globe.

So yes, if you keep those points in mind I would be very intersted to listen to you.

• Salix : I don't think Yuki misunderstoods you. As far as I understood her she is so disappointed that no actions are taken by your support. To make it clear and that no misunderstandings between myself and you Salix comes up: "No action" means beside a reply message "Thank you for your report.... we'll back to you soon." (copied from email to me received 15.06.2019 um 19:40 Uhr). Since that time I did not get a single additional reply. This is more than a week now. And I suppose my team mates from japanese server do made the same experience. So what are you talking about???? If necessary or misunderstood I can paste and copy all your emails to my account regarding my reports for fake players with time and date to this forum to show that I am serious and to show everyone your response time.

Me I already made the decision to leave the japanese server after the final game and I understand very well, if many other players will follow me!!!

• As far as I understood her she is so disappointed that no actions are taken by your support

That's not what she said though. She said we don't accept the problem and dismiss concerns. That is what she actually wrote and that is simply not true. We are very well aware of the problem and we absolutely understand the concerns players have with this. Keep in mind that we are players too, we are bothered by this problem too.

And yes, it is disappointing that this problem is not easy to solve and that we can't pull a solution out of the hat just like that. I get it. The complaint about the problem itself and lack of a solution is justified, understandable and correct.

To make it clear and that no misunderstandings between myself and you Salix comes up: "No action" means beside a reply message "Thank you for your report.... we'll back to you soon." (copied from email to me received 15.06.2019 um 19:40 Uhr).

That is below expectations for our CS, I totally agree. Which region was this? Not JP, right?
    I would like to be able forward a specific case where the quality of the CS replys is below expectations. You can also contact me via PM for this.

So what are you talking about?

What I was talking about was ideas for a possible solution for malicous multi account. As Klabbauter already correctly hinted, I am indeed not the right person to talk about their performance, which is why I don't focus my part of the discussion on that topic. I don't know more about it than any of you...less even, because I never wrote a ticket.

That being said: I'm in contact with the tech support to discuss this problem (this case in particular and the problem in general) to check what could be done, what limits us and what is already being done. And I also talked to our Game Director to explain the situation and its priority.

I was (and still am) hoping for this discussion to help with coming up with feasible solutions how to tackle the problem, preferably via gameplay mechanics changes. So that's what I am talking about and what I would like to continue talking about.

Found?DU5gLUo.png

• Hey Salix

I will allow to repeat my self

U need to tell us all a better story, for now it is more "Comical Ali" U need to convince us all that U/Travian work hard on this issue and U WILL solve it, for now all is just "Hot air" sorry to say. Your communication is "talking down to people" not good when they are customer

I know GDPR is a very hard one to fight against, BUT U can make a workaround if U would, it is all about money and hard work all other business around Europe is facing the same problems and for the most work ok .

Cheers Rype

• That's not what she said though. She said we don't accept the problem and dismiss concerns. That is what she actually wrote and that is simply not true. We are very well aware of the problem and we absolutely understand the concerns players have with this. Keep in mind that we are players too, we are bothered by this problem too.

Did you talk to Yuki, face to face, or in a private conversation.

The problem with all (most) Travians is: YOU always KNOW, what the other meant, wrote, thought. You almost never ask back to avoid misunderstandings ... up to Travians tell us (or is it just me) WHAT I THOUGHT, when I wrote.

Or, the other way, when a customer tells you, how they understood your text(s) they are blamed for misunderstanding, confusing your words ... your customers ask back, that's good communication, but mostly they don't get a better explanation.

Your answer so often is "We understand", "We know" ... not realizing that at least this thread is a collection of posts that try to tell you that YOU misunderstand, that you do not see the problem(s).

This is page 5 of a thread, where people tell you, explain once, twice, try to make it more clear ... but there is no try from your side, to get a confirmation that you understood correctly.

People her know other businesses, other companies, other games and try to tell you that most of them react and act differently from telling their customers "we absolutely understand the concerns" ... actually every other post in this thread

You - like most of your colleagues - are so sure about understanding us, the customers, no matter if from Japan or Germany, from the Netherlands or Turkey ... but honestly what I see in this thread is a global agreement, that you do not understand.

Your colleagues do the same ... so, why not think about the idea, that it might be limitations of your strategy, philosophy, communication model or business idea, that customers all over the world tell you "no, you do not understand".

As Klabbauter already correctly hinted, I am indeed not the right person to talk about their performance, which is why I don't focus my part of the discussion on that topic. I don't know more about it than any of you...less even, because I never wrote a ticket.

There is a very easy solution for this:

Bring in your colleague(s) who CAN, make them forum users and ask them to join this discussion.

Actually, I have experienced this more than once: being told "that's not my department, there are others doing that job", but then: no name said, no different employee joining in ... it's always the end of the discussion.

So, if part of the problems brought up here are none of your business, bring in the guy of the department dealing with those problems.

What I was talking about was ideas for a possible solution for malicous multi account.

Let us face it: As long as talking about details is a taboo, you will not find solutions.

You need examples to make strong arguments.

You always tell: We are not allowed to discuss details. Why not? GDPR? The law disallowes do publish PRIVATE data, name, address, mail address, credit card number, birth date, .... we do not need those private data to discuss cases.

We can talk about family A with father A, mother A and daugher A playing and not completely logging out each time ... they are caught as multis.

I would not call them malicous, but they will be banned ... and not even mother A is allowed to know the password of daughter A, though law forces her to know, what the kid is doing on the familiy computer.

Or: Player B writes a message and ends with "I hate you all. You are idiots." And signs with "Player C" Did you detect a malicous multi? Probably a worse one than family A, who just love the game and got only one computer.

There ARE ways to talk in a detailled way. And if you fear your stupid customers telling private data, use the power of this forum software and put those discussions into a category, where mods will check a post on real private data, before its free for all to read.

There are so many ideas ... but if they all get a NO before we can think on. And the taboo exists to keep us from talking about what is the burning worries of your customers ... besides that: that taboo is the best way to make people talk about the "details" in internet places that you can NOT control or even see. "We do not want these matters to be discussed" is the best way to have them discussed without you.

Other games tell anonymised "police reports", so the players know, there are punishments (and action), or they tell numbers or letters instead of player names ... but those companies think WITH their customers, who want to know, that wrongdoers are dealt with (watching action not words) and they want to know, that they get some sort of information, when they complain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Klabbauter ().