Risk taking in Rail Nation

• no this server wasn't equal chances for everybody. To play this server you had to buy gold worth of 32 euro's to enter.

Not everybody can spend that amount of money or want to spend that kind of money

After the Winter Fest 2000 of Gold is absolutely nothing; all who play a lot had much more than that.
    And yes, are we talking about equal chances for those who take part or about how much is entry ticket?

• Actually, even $0.01 entry fee would immediately reduce the number of fake accounts|)

when all the servers only could be played by an entry fee, Rail Nation wouldn't survive for a year than.

But this has nothing to do anymore with this topic of risk takings in Rail Nation

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Watch your thoughts because they can become words

Watch your words because they become your deeds

Watch your deeds because they become your habits

Watch your habits because they become your character

Watch your character because it will become your destiny

• You had a chance not long ago)))

There was a Birthday Festival, remember?)) No donations, everybody in equal conditions, 20K gold for every player)

Is that the moment we start talking about farm-accounts ? :saint:

(nothing against that, it's very clever and totally the way to go, as long as it's actual persons sacrificing their time and money for the farming, and not a second and tertiary account)

• Is that the moment we start talking about farm-accounts ? :saint:

(nothing against that, it's very clever and totally the way to go, as long as it's actual persons sacrificing their time and money for the farming, and not a second and tertiary account)

I'm genuinely ignorant on this topic, what's the deal?

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• i think this is very much ON topic, not off topic.

Rail Nation talks about risks to us players, so we have the right to talk about risks to them Travian games/ Bright Future company.

Why risks only to us???

Are they afraid of taking risks?

Paid games have HUGE audiences of customers and nearly zero stress about fake accounts. If someone cheats/ hacks/ crashes the game, the issue is much more quickly and easily resolved. Do not ask me which game, do your own research.

Would you take this risk, Travian games?

Start charging an admission fee to most servers. We play, we pay.

Leave one international server with free entrance.

Then you can compare data.

They wish me to take risks, I wish them to take risks too, so we are even.

• I dont want any risk.

Well....this statement says a lot.

Your other statements even say much more.

Taking risks from time to time makes a game much more interesting, than to simpley use some gold.

The question is, what kind of risk.

I don't think, to implement some risky things, just because of the risk as it self, makes any sense. I think, risky things should be in a reasonable context to the theme of the game.

I also like the fact, that your trains, your tracks and your train station can't be touched by anyone else than you.

The only scenario, where I see a kontext is the USA scenario, if you really want to attack other players trains. History teaches us, that a lot of trains were robbed.

In SoE I can see a kind of stock market, as a risiky part. Invest into other players trains or tracks of other associations.

Win or lose money...

This is something I would see in classic, too.

• I'm genuinely ignorant on this topic, what's the deal?

The idea of a farm account is an account that sacrifices itself for the well-being of the corp (for example, someone who would burn his 10'000 gold of the festival server in the first era into lottery tickets to buy alone the workers his corp needed, to ensure some teammates get a better ranking by not using any $$ for such workers). That's why you could see some Boulton workers being paid 30M+ the second / third day.

By extension, "farm-accounts" is the term used to define the second and third account of a group of players, to gain the benefits explained above (so, a multi-account basically). Since the winter event basically handed those extremely active players a lot of gold (20k + per account I would say for those guys), they could register with the farm accounts for free as well.

By the way, those players using "farm-accounts" are in the top 0.1% of the players in RN, skill-cap wise, I would say (extremely active, know everything, execute almost perfectly), so the farm-accounts give them the final edge. The issue being (for support as well) if the farm accounts are real people, or second / third accounts. (and that's impossible to prove, even if some people have suspicions).

• I'm a new player, CL3. I really liked the "Full Throttle" idea. There doesn't have to be an item for it. It could be simply a full throttle switch which of course leads to great repairs and the potential for a destroyed engine.

Another idea - You could also add an exploration office in the station. Invest cash to level and have more explorers, then pay to send explorers out on missions. They might find artifacts that could boost their game, or they could be killed. Explorers could have levels and the cash shop could make some more money by having rare or epic explorers as a possible reward. Of course FTP players will still have a chance to win an explorer just as they can win epic trains.

• No. What we need is actively offensive measures to hit specific players we don't like.

I don't like making Rail Nation a war game, but clearly you have a great theme for the next ARC/City builder/ship builder game. Massive train based ships moving around the world unloading teams of SUV, Infantry and airships. One of the biggest issues with FTP players in "city builder" games is the teleport system. To have whales drop in on weaker players to farm is not only frustrating for a growing city, but thematically ridiculous. Build a monster train however that moves around refueling at friendly cities or over-throwing competitors sounds like a block buster hit.

• Reducing consumption is already there, it's the support city feature that is available to the President and the cabinet and reduce consumption by 10%.

I'm very much against raising consumption, would be another incentive to hostile takeover.

Reducing consumption works fine. Raising consumption allows the mayor and/or president to defend the city against hostile actions. Currently 1 active player can level a city against the wishes of everybody else, increasing consumption makes that much tougher.

• Reducing consumption works fine. Raising consumption allows the mayor and/or president to defend the city against hostile actions. Currently 1 active player can level a city against the wishes of everybody else, increasing consumption makes that much tougher.

And an hostile mayor takeover means you never level your own town.

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• What is Rail Nation known for? Bomb factories, monster trains and exploding engine houses!

Let me recap some of the thoughts here, thank you for all ideas so far!

• Mayor or President to have the ability to both increase and decrease city consumption of an RG (by 10%). Not a good idea to raise consumption as that might lead to hostile mayor takeovers and not being able to level your own town. Reducing consumption is already found in the game.
    • Server without any chance to purchase gold, free Plus account for everyone. This kind of server can only be achieved with an entry fee, which needs to cover the costs of running the server. We tried it once and everyone got 20k for the price of 2k Gold. Did we have something like 2k players or a bit more there, not sure?
    • Small Turbo that boosts the speed and acc of engine at the cost of reliability (risk of breaking the engine to 0%). There is already a way to boost the engine, but this would I guess be an even bigger boost?
    • Special research reminded me of the idea where some engines could have an extra slot for a random engine part, decided at the start of the round.
    • Robbers to USA scenario, not sure if this was an actual wish but sounds fun, especially to fans of western films! Just to play with the idea, should it be AI that steals by turning some trainspotters into negative effects, stealing cash from you? Or what if players had the option to hide railway robbers next to a track somewhere?
    • The idea of adventurers, new building that lets you send people (adventurers) to find loot... interesting. Can't say it fits the RN lore, but interesting if you could make it fit somehow. The lottery hall is the closest thing to adventures we have.

I hope I got all the ideas? Feel free to play with these or add more to the list of risky / non-risky features or changes :engine1:

• Highly unlikey as the genuine players in the region will support the existing mayor. One rogue player cannot take over the Mayor's position.

you would be surprised of how many level 1 accounts can appear on one city in the blink of an eye, when some specific players decide they want the mayor position... ;)

• i have another idea about this risk "thema".

First, all player have a new building available in their station & like other building, you cap it to a max lvl each era.

This building is an "advance research/engineering lab" used to create new sort of prototype parts for your engines and will generate few engineering pt too.

With enough engineering pt you'll try to build a random new part like : +acc; +speed; +extra wag; +lower price etc...

The more pt you have the better the result with some great mixed combinaison or unique parts but evrything is still random, cost cash and can fail too.

Then you can use this new part on your unlocked engines:

Each engine have 1 free slot (in the research tab) that you need to unlock first with your research pt + engineering pt.

Just add the new discovered "prototype parts" in the unlocked slots (research tab) and you have a personalized engines ready to use.

the risk is about the choice you made in developping an expensive building, and using research pt to unlock slot without control of what "prototype part" you will have. will it be effective or have you lost time and money for something trivial...