Play Like a Pro!

• Dear experts, tycoons and pro players!

Together with you, we want to start a brand new project: Play like a pro!

Rail Nation is a pretty complex game and a tutorial can only cover the basics. But there is so much more to know and learn and a simple question like "How do I play well?" is actually not that easy to answer. Many of you have years of experience and could play Rail Nation while sleeping and still reach at least the top 500.

We would like to share this wisdom and knowledge with the rest of the community. Of course we could put our heads together and write 100 page guide about everything there is to know in RN, but barely anyone would read that. That’s why we want to do the opposite and create short but effective tips that help both newbies and more experienced players to optimize their strategy.

We prepared a few examples, just to give you an idea how this will look:

You can share your tips and discuss about them right here. Please give a "thumbs up" to tips that you find useful. We will then select the best tips, put them in pictures like in the examples above, translate them and share them with the community. We will start on our Facebook page and of course we will also mention the creator of that tip. If you don’t want to be mentioned, please let us know when sharing your tip.

Enough explanations, let’s put our heads together and collect the best tips to help each other!

• Samisu, generally a good idea ... but please rethink.

Players use the term "the golden hour" .... but it is definitely NOT the hour "directly after city level-up".

Cities rarely level up in the minutes of recalculation, but 20, 30 or 40 minutes early or late ...

Pros WAIT, in some city communities up to 45 minutes for recalculation, and then ALL have a FULL HOUR called golden hour.

If a few follow that pro tip, they spoil the waiting time of the new goods for a little advatage during the next 20 minutes for example .... ans ALL OTHERS will have a waiting time which often doubles the total transport time, plus, they have dropped the income for the new goods already.

The "Golden Hour" rule is: LISTEN to the city community, most often WAIT till next recalculation AFTER level-up, and then enjoy a COMPLETE golden hour together with all your city community mates.

- - -

This is only one example, where those tips will not work, but increase problems. The idea is good to ask experienced players, generally (as you see from my example above), however, the players are not in the mood to think about new things, they want HTML5 and less bugs first.

Those employees who are not engaged in HTML5 migration or bugfixes, should use that time for a good FAQ, a manual, a collection of tips already made all over the forums ... players are suffering from bugs, from waiting for HTML5, they are worrying ... the mood is not to enjoy "new projects" ... plus: to integrate those pro tips, it needs IT people again to put them ingame ... they first should fix bugs.

Homo forensis, der gemeine Forenuser ... eine erstaunliche Spezies.

• Klabbauter thanks, and I agree with the Golden Hour "card". A request to rephrase it has been forwarded.

You could take these examples as examples they are, and we will fine tune the tips we gather globally while translating those.

The switch to HTML5 is very close, and this 'Play Like a Pro' is a separate event that will not take any time or effort from the switch or from bug fixes. I still understand that each new event, feature, campaign etc. might give the impression that our focus is in the "wrong" place. That is not the case though, fixing bugs and the HTML5 switch is still happening. Plus, integrating these tips to the game is not at the top of our list. Let's first see how many tips we can gather and continue from there.

Btw, that's a good point, there are lots of tips all around the forum already! Time to gather all those tips together then ^^

• In era 6 if you already have your trains for the end game and receive engine vouchers buy some basic olympus and place them in museum. Do not get any upgrades. If you run out of money for wagons you can sell the olympus in the museum for a couple of million to use for wagons.

• In era 6 if you already have your trains for the end game and receive engine vouchers buy some basic olympus and place them in museum. Do not get any upgrades. If you run out of money for wagons you can sell the olympus in the museum for a couple of million to use for wagons.

I'd rather enter EG fully loaded with wagons.

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• If your association has a track-worker, then don't redeem the daily loginbonus of day 8 (trackvoucher) or day 14 (surprisebonus but possible 5 trackvouchers) yet.

Wait until the trackworker is gone, or until you are done building tracks for that day.

:engine1: NL01 Stoomketel :engine1: NL201 Euromast :engine1: M1.201 Scandinavia :engine1: ES201 El Escorial :engine1:

• When you play for a good position...

From the 1st to the 3rd era it is time to make money to build the main buildings of the station.

From 4 Era - Prestige Play begins.

The main prestige was earned in Era 5, 6 and 7.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Erfolg ist die Fähigkeit, ohne Verlust der Begeisterung von einem Misserfolg zum anderen zu gelangen.

Успех - это способность переходить от одной неудачи к другой без потери энтузиазма.

Rail Nation Engine Compare EN DE FR RU

• In Era 1 and 2 don't look at prestige, earn money.

When you play for a good position...

From the 1st to the 3rd era it is time to make money to build the main buildings of the station.

From 4 Era - Prestige Play begins.

The main prestige was earned in Era 5, 6 and 7.

From my own experience, for top1s (without investing $$) :

Era 1 : station, some basic tracks (5 cities)

Era 2 : finish station (i.e. restaurant 32, CC 32, laboratory 25, hotel 25, bank to 30M (level 20 or 22?), tracks to suite your needs, basic tracks (5 cities in SoE, 7-8 in other gamemodes)

Era 3-4 : complete your tracks (in SoE, you go from 5 to 20 in that time period, a bit less for other gamemodes because you don't have twin cities).

Era 5-6 : finish the tracks, do the agressive PP-hunting + investments.

Competitions can gain you up to 200-300 gold / day, when you play the whole day.

Videos the first day are worth 10times what they are worth the second day, and those are worth 10 times what they are worth any day after that. So you should really get them if you want a top 1 / 10, leave them to those of your corp that want a good ranking if you just want to play for fun. :)

Also, there are a few ways to get a top 1. I go for the competition / balanced approach. Some others prefer the heavy-transport, or heavy-investment approach.

• Also the tip I use most probably :

have a high-costing building in your station to redeem the -20% building cost vouchers on (It will usually be either the laboratory, or the restaurant for me).

Just launch the construction, then cancel it. You just gained a ton of money.

That's reason enough that I keep my restaurant level 31 until my laboratory catches up in terms of prices.

Same argument goes for trains vouchers. Sometimes it is better to buy a multi-slot train (without any upgrades!) just to sell it.

• Newbees wait. Pros go directly after city lvl up if it is at least 20-25 minutes before recalculation or even 15 minutes if there's a lot of players in the city or the factory is really close to the city.

Indeed, there are two (at least) different types of professionals.

Professionals tho fight for their own win, will of course haul those goods directly after level up and get a big advantage for 15 minutes and leave all waiters behind them.

In RN we meet all types of professionals:

- zero-sum gamers, who go to for their win and the disadvantage of others

- win-win gamers, who play for the fun and the advantage of a bigger community

- and all types in between

That's a difficulty of pro tipps: if you call it out, it might be good for one strategy and bad for a different one.

At the end ... a silly question: are there REALLY professional players in RN? Professionals play as their job, they play for money, no matter if the game is poker, soccer or an online game. Anybody here, who plays RN for money? 8)  :cursing:  :P

Homo forensis, der gemeine Forenuser ... eine erstaunliche Spezies.

• Indeed, there are two (at least) different types of professionals.

Professionals tho fight for their own win, will of course haul those goods directly after level up and get a big advantage for 15 minutes and leave all waiters behind them.

At the end ... a silly question: are there REALLY professional players in RN? Professionals play as their job, they play for money, no matter if the game is poker, soccer or an online game. Anybody here, who plays RN for money? 8)  :cursing:  :P

1. If one starts hauling before announced time he's just a scum not a pro). But pros announce GH with conditions I say, 'cause otherwise it would be just a time spent on nothing; there's always some more cities waiting for lvl up around, especially if you play US scenario)) or you just could get some more prestige in other cities)

2. I don't know people who play RN for money, but I know people who play really a lot and know the game better than some pros in other sphere know their job))). A good coord in Endgame tells you the exact time the good will be fully hauled 5 minutes in advance and announces a new one and that's what I call professionalism, for instance). Or when levelling up a city one can save an hour for the crowd directing the process)

• Newbees wait. Pros go directly after city lvl up if it is at least 20-25 minutes before recalculation or even 15 minutes if there's a lot of players in the city or the factory is really close to the city.

A good coord in Endgame tells you the exact time the good will be fully hauled 5 minutes in advance and announces a new one and that's what I call professionalism, for instance).

Fully agree. I've seen so many times, especially on SoE when the city is level 15 at the end of era 4, people telling everybody to wait for GH, 30min not being "enough".

They didn't realise that the new good would be finished in 15min because 10 people were rushing, and the city was underleveled.

Klabbauter : I wouldn't call them professionals, but as already said, some people know this game inside-out and perfected strategies to optimise time and money (sometimes for personal purposes, but often for the city's sake as well). A flexible GH rule based on the number of active rushers is one such optimization.

The caller announcing a new good early is, IMO, the biggest difference a caller can make. You gain so much time, and you can win an EG just with that. (closing 2 4-tracks goods in 1 hours, instead of a 4tracks and a 2 tracks for example). But most people don't understand the importance of calling a second good early, when there is enough time left. And so they lose 10 minutes of rush time per hour.

• to summarise all this posts above about the golden hour the pro tip should be:

Always follow the call of the caller

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Watch your thoughts because they can become words

Watch your words because they become your deeds

Watch your deeds because they become your habits

Watch your habits because they become your character

Watch your character because it will become your destiny