The relevance of City Comps on Steam over Europe version

• I'm playing on Loch Ness and today is the first city comp of the new round.

Which leads me again to ask myself, why is there a city comp on the Steam over Europe version, we just spend the day asking players to stay out of the city.

A Landmark comp would be a lot more relevant.

A few of us were chatting about it in game and agreed this would be more relevant, so I was asked to post on the RN forum.

Before creating a new post, I searched to see if this had been done before and lo and behold! there is a post already, which someone has kindly moved to the archive section, which meant I couldn't add to it. So I've just made a new post! :D:P

Landmark Competition on Steam over Europe

• i played a lot with toots, even in the same corp

she has a lot of ideas

this is one of the best

• I like the idea but i see some problems in it, that has to been worked out, the landmark has to deliver all the goods that have been in the game for that city and that can be a lot of goods so the cities have a differend amount of goods to deliver, and goods that are green won't be delivered anymore, so if you have to deliver these goods too when you do a LM competition is a waste of goods, most cities who are working on the landmark just skip the citycompetition and special because the winnings is only for the city deliverings.

• Definitely better to do LandMark comp than City comp, It doesn't make sense to watch your hauled goods to the "CITY" comp getting gobbled up every 14 minutes and then later you have to level up and all those goods are eaten. On the otherhand for a Competition on LM instead of City would be 100% more beneficial for all than a City Comp. It would be easy to, ie :- Set 4 goods to the LM to be greenlined for the comp. The Authors need to keep in mind that most people do NOT play the City Comps because it detracts from normal city level ups in relation to the Landmark hauling forLevel Ups, this will also help the elected Association Reps to get people hauling to The LM's and off the Cities when needed. Understanding that more goods will need be hauled to the LM, the competition rules or rewards for a Landmark can be changed, The definitive positive for a LM comp that you dont lose the green line til the whole LM is levelled and those greenlines for a LM comp will remain till the other LM commodities are levelled, not gobbled up every 14 minutes like in the city. The only prob I can see to be worked out is when the LM greenlines before a comp, but surely this can be workrd out :thumbsup:

The post was edited 3 times, last by HoseBag ().

• More often than not they are ignored in the first 2 era, or however long it takes to reach the required LM level, they can be useful though, time the level up of a city around it and you can have a nice bonus.

Wouldn't bother though with switching to a LM competition for 2/2.5 eras and then whine afterwards because now you need the comp to boost your city run and the comp has been moved to your LM that you're not interested in leveling.

I'd be curious to see how a era 6 40 goods LM competion looks like though :D

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• More often than not they are ignored in the first 2 era, or however long it takes to reach the required LM level, they can be useful though, time the level up of a city around it and you can have a nice bonus.

Wouldn't bother though with switching to a LM competition for 2/2.5 eras and then whine afterwards because now you need the comp to boost your city run and the comp has been moved to your LM that you're not interested in leveling.

I'd be curious to see how a era 6 40 goods LM competion looks like though :D

That would be fun, you have to bring in all the 40 goods at the same time and hope you don't have to have them green but at that time you got the chance that the landmark is lvl 15 and can't deliver anymore at the landmark :D

where do you do the comp then ;)

• That would be fun, you have to bring in all the 40 goods at the same time and hope you don't have to have them green but at that time you got the chance that the landmark is lvl 15 and can't deliver anymore at the landmark :D

where do you do the comp then ;)

I suggest an easy solution!

Have a city competition.

As it is now.

But the bonus earned also applies to the city's landmark :)

We ignore them for longer than just the first two eras, as the outcome of doing the city comp means that people park in the city for over 24 hours and too much time is lost on progressing the Landmarks.

I suggest an easy solution!

Have a city competition.

As it is now.

But the bonus earned also applies to the city's landmark

I like Hear Me Roar's thinking, that's an elegant solution which should make everyone happy and would be a lot easier to implement than a Landmark competition. Hats off to you for coming up with that one!

I think a Landmark comp could be done though, it seems to me just a simple logic is needed which is similar to the City comps, where it would just need to be based on the LM which gets the most goods hauled to it in the 2 hour timeframe. As per the previous posts about this, hopefully you don't have to haul goods already green for that, or perhaps only goods needed count in the numbers hauled.

• We ignore them for longer than just the first two eras, as the outcome of doing the city comp means that people park in the city for over 24 hours and too much time is lost on progressing the Landmarks.

From the very post you quoted.

More often than not they are ignored in the first 2 era, or however long it takes to reach the required LM level, they can be useful though, time the level up of a city around it and you can have a nice bonus.

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• I like HMR's proposition.

But what I see on SoE is that we have too much money. Way too much. Implementing a city competition that is working on the LM for 24hours, while very interesting in terms of money-management (slow down the landmark so that the landmark level up is synchronised with the city comp for example), needs something to balance it.

Nobody needs to manage money correctly on SoE right now. To make full use of a reward to landmarks, I think we must make money an important factor in SoE again.

btw, my input on us having too much money : I thought it was because I was too active. But I'm playing a game where I log-in once a day (my research tree is not looking great), my bank was over-flowing more times than I dare count, and still I have all the wagons x400 up to level 28 (end of era 4 approaching), paid first place on the 2 landmarks I connected for the whole of the server, was full pax for a while. Train station is close to be finished.

• The original thread was mine from 6 months ago, but that was after I had already voiced having LM comps as posts on a couple of earlier threads, with one of the potential solutions being that the comp could still be run on the city but the reward being a 24hr bonus on the landmark.

The way it is currently set is extremely detrimental to a well run region, especially in the first 3 eras.

• The original thread was mine from 6 months ago, but that was after I had already voiced having LM comps as posts on a couple of earlier threads, with one of the potential solutions being that the comp could still be run on the city but the reward being a 24hr bonus on the landmark.

The way it is currently set is extremely detrimental to a well run region, especially in the first 3 eras.

Now, detrimental is a big word. I really don't see a problem with how it is now, actually, a well run region would find ways to benefit from it, you can time a level up during the comp and get a little extra money in the GH.

Currently playing on:

M1.201 Scandinavia

• Stubaski has a point...a well-run region will benefit, providing there is not a rogue corp that seems to have the sole purpose of fighting for 10th place.

We had one recently that was upset about the city bonus rotation. There answer? Simple. Come over to our city and level it up two levels ahead of the LM. This was while we were focused on LM growth and goaled with getting at least three in the region to L12. We were at 10 at the time.

Put out regional policy - they do the opposite.

• Now, detrimental is a big word. I really don't see a problem with how it is now, actually, a well run region would find ways to benefit from it, you can time a level up during the comp and get a little extra money in the GH.

You need to have a region of very disciplined players for that. Many would just use the bonus as an excuse to push the city for 24hrs levelling it once or twice in the process. That is why I say it is detrimental, if you are supposed to be LM focussed.

• I am now on my 4th game SOE and am yet to do a City Comp.

I Have noticed there is reference in prior posts to well oiled organisations happy with the City Comps. I know this is a very competitive game, but what of the associations that struggle a bit with numbers that simply can't afford the LM resource loss in favour of the City to LM hauling.

Again I think Hear Me Roar has come up with a brilliant idea and it would be nice if it could be adopted.

• Landmark competition with 4 randomly selected (or 4 last) goods with the premium to the landmark. That would be one of the most welcome developments of SoE. I highly recommend Toots' idea. RN team - please consider it - it would add a lot to the playability of RN SoE. Right now I hesitate to open a new round when all we have to do is to ask players not to deliver to the city but to the LM.