Offensive Screen Name????

• Good evening all. Recently, I was contacted by the Chair of my corporation saying that another player and a moderator had contacted them saying my screen name "might be offensive to others". I have played several years on this game, and I have never heard of such a mess. If people would bother to look up the definition of a word instead of crying "I'm offended, change it because I said so", this world we live in probably wouldn't be in such a mess.

For those of you who don't know, or are too lazy to look it up, a jackhole is an obnoxious person. The irony here, is that I am not an obnoxious person. Hence why I use this same screen name on several on-line game sites.

Can a moderator please explain how my screen name MIGHT be offensive??

Thanks,

Sir Jackhole (Doug)

• Hmmm ... there is something that I do not understand: If a moderator thinks your screen name might be offensive, they would never contact another player (not even the chair of your corporation, that's just another player) to talk about you, they would have contacted you directly. That would even conflict with the rules of the GPDR ...

So, there is something wrong in what they told you. That "moderator" cannot be a real moderator.

So, if I were you, I would not ask, what might be offensive in your name, but how that person that played a mod can be found snd stopped offending you via another player.

Beliebt sein ist eigentlich ganz einfach:

Man muss nur immer sagen, was die anderen hören wollen.

Leider liegt mir das so überhaupt nicht.

• I wouldn't mind seeing someone call themselves Sir Jerk or Sir Bastard, so the same goes for Sir Jackhole.

Sure, someone might take these words as offensive, but that is their interpretation. And we all have a right to our own opinions.

Since you Sir Offensive (Doug) have not been contacted by anyone to change your name during these several years (thank you very much!) of playing Rail Nation, I wouldn't worry about it. No moderator has ever contacted me about your nick.

If you have any further questions or if you hear of someone posing as a RN team member, please DM me :engine1:

• Thank you very much! This response is GREATLY appreciated!!!

• thank you all for weighing in. I don't know what people (person) are offended by but its hard to figure what does and does not offend anyone anymore.

I informed the "offended" one that nothing further would be done and that Doug would not be changing his avatar and if that forced someone to leave an assn., i can't help it.

Thanks for your time,

• I informed the "offended" one that nothing further would be done and that Doug would not be changing his avatar and if that forced someone to leave an assn., i can't help it.

Some people love to be officially offended, and they mostly do not realize that it happens in their own heads and is not intended.

Some people love to change their own thoughts into what they call "truth (tm)" ... but whatever they think, it's made up in their heads, not in Doug's. Plus: if there is someone else posing as a team member, that's much more offending than a funny avatar name.

I love people like Doug, who can laugh about themselves, playing with an avatar name like his. My own one goes into that direction, taking a ships kobold name, incorrectly typed (the double-b) .... avatar names like those of Doug and me should be telling that we love to play, that we are here for the fun, and that while playing here (or writing in the forum) we are NOT the serious businessmen, that we might have to be in RL.

• @ Sir Jackhole, Hi Sir Jackhole, Dont worry about the prudes, they are normally bad haulers anyway, lol.

I have had a player suggest to me also that my screen name is offensive. This person also suggested I change my name when playing on a past Scandinavian server. Same as you they did not care to research the word.

A HoseBag is a flexible coupling that is attached to all Locomotives and vehicles to allow for the continious operation of the Westinghouse air Brake. This name is common to Australian Rail workers.

I personally am more concerned about the mindsets of the people that attach filth to proper names.

• I wouldn't mind seeing someone call themselves Sir Jerk or Sir Bastard, so the same goes for Sir Jackhole.

Sure, someone might take these words as offensive, but that is their interpretation. And we all have a right to our own opinions.

I was forced to change my screen name last Masters competition) It was LazyBastard and I'm pretty well known on .ru domains under this name.
    Happily I was let to use cyrillic transliteration of the same name)

• General rule of thumb:

If you are wondering if the name is allowed or might cause issues, pick another name. World is full (unlimited) of names and we aren't looking for a situation where "if this name is allowed, then this must as well"

Makes a good topic though!

• If you are wondering if the name is allowed or might cause issues, pick another name. World is full (unlimited) of names and we aren't looking for a situation where "if this name is allowed, then this must as well"

May I contradict a little bit, Samisu?

- RN is an international game, a global game even. Combinations of letters, that are normal, friendly, fun and without any harm, have a totally different meaning in one of the other languages used in RN.

- People use their avatar names to express something they want to tell the others. My name of the ships kobold tells, how much I love sailing and the kobold's hammer tells that he is always wide awake to point at (hammer on) things and thoughts that might be useful for the ship. Dougs name tells me that he is a fun person who can laugh about himself. Just like the LazyBastard, who does not laugh about all "bastards" of the world, but about himself. And HoseBag shows the language problem: a German, who just knows English from school will think of pants when reading "hose" (the German word Hose means pants, trousers), and then start thinking about the meaning of the "bag". So a German with little English knowledge and not doing any more research will think about "big bulge" (in their and only their heads) when reading HoseBag.

So your suggestion, to find a name that will not cause issuses .... impossible. There will always be someone, sho stops thinking and getting informed, when only they think of a possible offense.

- People pick their names in different games. So they keep it, because most do not want a list of dozens of names. Plus: if they keep their name, they can be found by their friends who they asked to follow them to RN.

- If someone feels offended, they thould talk to the persons. Anyone in the game wants fun, wants to play, ev1 is friendly ... so (almost) ev1 will explain the meaning of their name, if asked in a friendly way. To talk to a chair and talk about a third person definitely is the wrong way.

However the worst think (IMHO) in the starting post is, that there must have been a person posing to be a moderator, a team member ... and from my perception that's the real NoGo.

• On the Italian servers we have an association that has as its name the slogan used in the circles of the Italian political right and neo-fascist of the second post-war period.

I am very annoyed by this phrase and I think that politics should stay out of the online games.

It seems, however, that no one but me has noticed this.

I have not written to the support, but maybe I should do it because that phrase is "really" offensive.

And I can't understand why to use it...(idiots, probably)

• Yes, Luke, those are the exceptions that I would agree too: politics and religion should stay out of a game forum ... and should also not be used for names of avatars and associations.

• The worst conflict that I have had, with another player was on Big Ben. He insisted, that I was not allowed to play in that region or city because in real life I was not from that country. He really lived in this city and he thought he really had a claim to over other game players

When are you going to bring out the South Pacific game including Australia and New Zealand. So I can claim it as mine. LOL

• AND I CANNOT CHANGE IT BACK FOR 30 DAY UNLESS I USE 75 GOLD! WTF IS GOING ON?

registered on a new server and choose the recommended city.

Take the 100 gold as a gift and change your nickname.

Delete the avatar of the new server.

Done without spending gold!

(I'm sorry for your problems, your name didn't seem offensive, just ironic and funny)

• The worst conflict that I have had, with another player was on Big Ben. He insisted, that I was not allowed to play in that region or city because in real life I was not from that country. He really lived in this city and he thought he really had a claim to over other game players

When are you going to bring out the South Pacific game including Australia and New Zealand. So I can claim it as mine. LOL

Ahahaha LooooL

The same thing happened to me!

They told me I couldn't play in Rome, I'm not Italian.

Yeah... but I'm Italian and I was born in Rome!

Even if in the game I'm called like a fountain pen...

• So somehow my screen name has been changed to "Player34126". Not happy about this at all, and would like to know how and why this was done.

Thanks,

Sir Jackhole

This is really not ok, if I were you I would make a complaint about it. Travain don't have the right to change your nickmame without any notice. And your original nickname is in no way offensive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?