Offensive Screen Name????

• This is really not ok, if I were you I would make a complaint about it. Travain don't have the right to change your nickmame without any notice. And your original nickname is in no way offensive.

Especially when he has been told that it is ok. Who changed it? Samisu any suggestions?

• Especially when he has been told that it is ok. Who changed it? Samisu any suggestions?

I've been in contact with the player, and he can discuss it through with game support in private.

My personal impression was that if a name has been in use for multiple years without any reports, it would probably stay that way. On the other hand, if someone found a justification for the name change - then we should start following those policies. As long as we will not end in a situation where players need to compare their names and make requests based on our previous actions.

The same tip still holds I wrote earlier, if you are unsure if the name you are about to pick follows the rules (does it insult someone?), try picking another one.

• I've been in contact with the player, and he can discuss it through with game support in private.

That's the best way. It should be done in private. So good to hear he has not given up and is lost for our game.

My personal impression was that if a name has been in use for multiple years without any reports, it would probably stay that way. On the other hand, if someone found a justification for the name change - then we should start following those policies. As long as we will not end in a situation where players need to compare their names and make requests based on our previous actions.

On the other hand ... of we trust the player Sir JackHole, he was not contacted by that employee directly but via the association chair. That's a NoGo, contrasting to the European Law GPDR. Telling a player to tell another player about his name ... no way!

Secondly, totally YES. If a name was accepted over years, in Germany there is even a law (Gewohnheitsrecht / customary law) that a sudden change cannot be made that easily and company policies do NOT overwrite common law.

Third: while you as the official speaker made a message here, some other guy, even an employee, and even a boss, should not stab you in the back and change that avatar name without giving you reasons and even tell in this thread. No matter what justification they found.

The same tip still holds I wrote earlier, if you are unsure if the name you are about to pick follows the rules (does it insult someone?), try picking another one.

That tip is ok for new players. But Sir JackHole played for years with that name.

If you use a name for years and in a dozen other games ... there is emotion connected to that name, some identification.

If any company follows "policies" that sets priority to some weird rules and is not interested in the reasons, emotions and feelings of their customers ... there's something wrong.

Why should a customer, who uses a name for years and in dozens of games ask the question on a regular basis, if it might insult somebody?

Take my example ... lately Google did not accept the RN App update for the Google PlayStore, because there is a picture of that cigar smoking Atlantic guy in it. Same with my avatar. A ships cobold will always smoke a pipe (and show off his hammer, which also might be an insulting idea in some weird brains). Some day someone might be insulted by my forum avatar, cause smoking a pipe is use of drugs.

Do you really think I should change that picture?

Sie sagen immer: "Sei ehrlich und sag, was du denkst."

Und dann sagt man es und dann gucken sie böse..

• Just the perspective of an old man ...

Being offended by something isn't in itself a cause to ban something. "Being offended" is entirely subjective and can't be adjudicated fairly. And there is no possibility to hold people to proving a negative (My name isn't offensive, it just can't be proven, some person somewhere could be offended by any name).

What ought to be the rule, is that names that are specifically hate speech, that intimidate, harass, or in some demonstrable way create a clearly hostile environment meant to make people leave, that's enforceable.

For example, a swastika has a clear meaning and when used it's meant to create an environment where others aren't welcome. I'm certain that we could list 100s of said names/avatars. The easiest test, would a common person know why it's hostile/aggressive/hateful speech.

As for the name above, Sir Jackhole, unless we're censoring people for profanity, there's zero reason to ban it. If profanity is banned, then it should still pass muster, because it's on that slippery slope (we gonna ban the name Dick? even if someone's name is Dick?). While, I don't doubt that someone was offended by the word Jackhole, we can't expect to live in spaces where nothing offends us.

• Agree--- In Australia a "Jackhole" is a rabbits burrow/hole. It is the manner in which a word is used. Not the word its self.