FlashPlayer ending on Chrome Dec 2020?

• I note that the DE05 Kurbelwelle Scenario has a new opening screen, that states that "RN recommends Google Chrome".

Yet when opening my Chrome browser, I get a message banner from Chrome that "“Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020” .

Since it is on FlashPlayer, that this game relies, if I use Chrome I have to respond to an annoying additional page on RN that requires me to validate my FlashPlayer every time I open RN through Chrome. If I use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, I can avoid the annoying "OOps! You Need to Download Adobe Flash Player" nonsense every time, but if Adobe and Flash are going extinct in Dec 2020 , the browser won't matter.

Google claims that those who use Flash are developing alternatives. So despite Dec 2020 being 15 months away, I have to ask:

1) Why recommend Chrome when it is even now acting in an adversarial manner toward its own Adobe product?

and

2) Is Travian working on a Flash-alternative for RN and other Flash-based games, will the game format completely change, or will they end like TruckerNation?

• Hei Der Grim Reaper

We updated today the next bundle of Servers with the new HTML5 version, so flash isn't needed anymore.

DE05 was also updated, so since 12:15 UTC+2 you don't need flash anymore for this server.

The remaining servers will follow soon.

Greetings,

Pia

• Hi Grim Reaper!

I actually have very good news for you, because none of your worries are necessary. The reason why we recommend Chrome, is that Chrome is the best Browser for HTML5. Why does that matter? Because DE05 is already running on HTML5.

We are right in the middle of switching all servers to HTML5 and will get rid of Flash entirely way before December 2020. We are getting rid of it right now :)
    It's worth mentioning that not just Chrome will get rid of Flash, but everyone. Flash will officially not be supported anymore in 2020 anywhere. That's why we switch to HTML5, like many other games do, did or will do.

So, to answer your questions:

1) Because it's, on average, the best browser for HTML5 right now.
    2) Already done. Absolutely nothing about the game itself changes, it's merely a translation of the game from Flash to HTML5. Since you apparently already played on HTML5 without even noticing, that should answer your question if anything changes ;)

Found?DU5gLUo.png

• Thank you for your explanations.

Obviously I was not on Chrome when I got the Chrome recommendation, but had started DE05 on Microsoft Edge.

Out of curiosity, I attempted to start my game on US102 on Chrome, since it was not already running on ME. Based on your explanations, US102 must have still been on Flash instead of HTML5, because I still got the annoying "OOoops!" screen.

It was mostly because of this, and touch-screen issues when playing on my laptop vs desktop that I stopped using Chrome and deferred to ME. I run a cable Ethernet with a currently tested 166.49 Mbps download, 5.33 Mbps upload and a 100 ms network delay on the WIN10 quad-core desktop (wt Radeon RX590 GPU) I am on at the moment. I am playing on DE05, M22, and US102 from a location in the southeastern US Atlantic coast.

I noted a couple of interesting things in comparing just now.

All games have much more lag on Chrome. Since DE05 is on HTML5, I have to assume that the previous 'hardware acceleration' settings for FlashPlayer are not applicable. It is markedly slower to accept input, scroll the map, or change screens. Also, the locos have a unique psychedelic smoke that starts out black with a developing fuscia and blue border before turning white. Is that supposed to be normal? (It is not that way on ME).

Since you apparently already played on HTML5 without even noticing, that should answer your question if anything changes ;)

Actually, when I played DE05 on ME, I am noticing 'strobe' flashes - blitz white-screens. An example is when going to the research screen to apply points to locos. With each click on the screen page (to add points, complete research on a loco, change ERAs, etc) There is a quick flash of white as the screen updates the new info to current status.

Despite this annoying flashing, DE05 is still much more responsive on ME than on Chrome.

Thanks again for the clarification on the updates to RN.

Glad to hear it is merely transitioning and not going extinct!

• I noticed in logging onto DE05 this morning that the odd quirks and the lag seemed to have disappeared.

When running HTML5, there was a different introduction/opening/welcome screen and the graphics had a certain sharpness. Today seems to be the previous welcome. Judging from the graphics and the restored performance, has DE05 been temporarily reverted to Flash while further improvements are being made to the HTML5 version?

Just curious...:/

• I have been having problems with this game for ages, I have not been able to play for over 6 months because flash will not work for me, it seems chrome has blocked it as it will not run or download at all. I click on the download button but nothing happens.

• I have been having problems with this game for ages, I have not been able to play for over 6 months because flash will not work for me, it seems chrome has blocked it as it will not run or download at all. I click on the download button but nothing happens.

Cant play anymore under Chrome.

• If you click on the lock icon in the address bar and allow flash it will run

It may take you to Flash web site, if so hit your back arrow it will start the game