Chapter 4: A message from the future

• Chapter 4: A message from the future

Please read the rules for this challenge HERE

Submission thread will be opened once all Chapters are out

As I entered the next wagon, a shock overcame me. In this short moment of confusion and irritation, I stopped my breath as I didn't understand what I was seeing. This wagon looked strange. Everything was different, even the material the wagon was made of. The whole interior design had a style that I have never seen before. Probably nobody has ever seen anything like that before.

9baXN6c.png

Also, there was a strange metallic device with numbers attached to the next door. It seemed that once again, some sort of code was needed.

ToRHCdE.png

What kind of silly game was this? How many more doors would I need to open to reach the end? And would the Master of Secrets be waiting for me on the other side and give me the key to the cockpit? I walked a few steps back to pick up the only thing that was lying on a table: a very strangely shaped cookie. I grabbed it. Something seemed to be inside, so I broke it open. And indeed, there was a piece of paper inside:

rx8rZvD.png

The message was supposedly from the year 2018. But the current year was 1911... This did not make any sense. Or was this a message from the future? An absurd thought. What a nightmare! I walked over to the metallic device next to the door and tried to enter a code. Since I had no clues, I had to rely on my intuition and gut instinct.

Task: Use the information from this waggon to find the correct code. Act as the inner voice of the passenger and help to enter the right numbers.

• my answer is: 3-0-4-7

• Samisu What happens if the task has more than one correct answer

• Then there are more than one correct answers :)

If it can be proven that you can solve a puzzle in multiple ways, then all those solutions are accepted. I have no idea if there are more than one solutions, but I guess we will see once the thread is open where all answers can be submitted.

• I have no idea if there are more than one solutions, but I guess we will see once the thread is open where all answers can be submitted.

So, that sounds like we have to be prepared to not only post the one and only correct answer, but also the way we found it.

If we have to count differencies, well there is ONE answer, but if the hints are a Z, the Amtrak railroad company, a mysteriously vanished handkerchief on a seat, the date of December last year and a Chinese cookie ... these hints will allow a variety of answers that can be put into a code.

"Seek so you will find" ... I found 2-3 dozens of hints, so at the moment I do not see a logic combining the hints to a one and only code, that MUST be true.

So, I think I will start a text file with my conclusions from the hints to add them to the thread of answers.

Beliebt sein ist eigentlich ganz einfach:

Man muss nur immer sagen, was die anderen hören wollen.

Leider liegt mir das so überhaupt nicht.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Klabbauter ().

• I see it as completely optional to add explanations, only thing that matters is who is the first to get all answers correct once the submission thread opens.

If the first player commenting got everything right, we have a winner. Shouldn't matter if there's an explanation or not since rules do not request explanations :)

If the first player got all but one right and the prize is going to the next player commenting, the first player can explain/prove why they actually had all answers correct.

What I've learned from puzzles like these is there are always players who are smarter than the ones creating puzzles. Some players like to find different solutions just for fun, which is fun.

• With the option of the first player who gives the correct answer, lots are again excluded due to time zones, work etc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• I'm sure this task has more than one possible / correct answer

• If the first player commenting got everything right, we have a winner. Shouldn't matter if there's an explanation or not since rules do not request explanations

That doesn't work, Samisu ... not without causing arguments.

Take this on for example. The vanished handkerchief might have been a bug ... and not count at all. Now the creater of this picture will have had an idea about the correct answer.

Maybe he thought like this: "I will tell them to seek and find, and if they don't realize I should give a hint that the photo is a modern one, from Amtrak train of 2018. But what the have to find is the letter Z, with is the 26th letter of the alphabet so 26 is the correct answer."

Then the answering starts and HMR posts his code: 1245 and everything else correct. Then I answer the same answers but only 26 for this challenge. So, the challenge creator will tell you: "HMR is wrong, Klabbauter is right, so Klabbi is the Master of Secretions". But HMR might have a much better and more logic explanation for his code, so he would be ther REAL winner.

The system to decide about right or wrong is ok if there are possibly more than one correct answers ... cannot be done without the explanations. In my example, HMR will have shown much more brain power than I, but the creator of the challenges, who put up two wrong pictures already ... might not see that HMR is more correct than I.

• Naike and HMR make a point:

If the first to answer, what the creator thinks to be correkt, some might be excluded, as they are at work or sleeping ... but even if we all were awake, one domain will get the answer thread a minute or 5 minutes ahead of another domain ... and as I see it, some will just wait for it.

This 4th Masters Challenge is amazing, BECAUSE it needs brain power, intelligence, thinking, skills to join information ... but at the end you will declare the quickest user, the quickest finger on the quickest mouse as the Master.

You created an amazing challenge, a challenge for the brains ... and then you declare the quickest copying user as the winner.

Please think about that.

• Before this conversation heads to 100 different directions, I'm allowed to give this one "hint":

There is only one concrete solution

The vanished handkerchief was a bug indeed and has nothing to do with the riddle (outdated picture).

• In my opinion, the answers should be hidden with explanation

And do not depend on the time of publication

• I would also like to remind everyone that us team members can't participate in these discussions in any way that might get you closer to the correct solution.

Just know that there is no need to worry about multiple solutions.

• There is only one concrete solution

I assure you that there is more than one solution that fulfills the 100% condition of the task

If the purpose of the task is to find the author's solution ...

this is already another task...This is not in the condition

• I assure you that there is more than one solution that fulfills the 100% condition of the task

If the purpose of the task is to find the author's solution ...

this is already another task...This is not in the condition

And this is something you are free to speculate in this thread, and why these threads are open ;)