7 April 2009
Today, mum and dad dropped by for dinner at my apartment. Dad's shop is doing great. We had a nice conversation about the past. Back when I was young, they often criticised my choices but now it feels so good to hear that they're proud of how I've mastered my career path and tough times at university. I told them a bit about my current work at Apex Trains, a leading train operating company. I work in the middle management and I'm highly valued among my co-workers. However, this role is very demanding at times. I have to make fast decisions under high pressure all the time, and small mistakes can result in big losses. It can be really exhausting, and I wonder if I want to be doing this forever. Another stressful situation occurred today, but I think I handled it well.
- The express train Jumbo Jupiter with an average travelling speed of 300 km/h was supposed to depart from Stroudford to Hicksburg at 6:30 pm.
- The travelling distance between those two cities is 620 km, without any stops in between.
- Almost all the passengers plan to take a connecting train once they arrive in Hicksburg. This connecting train is also the last train of the day in Hicksburg and it always departs at midnight. The passengers need to arrive in Hicksburg before midnight, otherwise they will be stuck there overnight.
- Unfortunately, a part of the Jumbo Jupiter's train engine turned out to be defective, so the train can't start.
- It's important that the passengers arrive before midnight in Hicksburg. If they miss their connecting train in Hicksburg, they'll have to spend the night there and your company will have to cover the costs of hotels. Estimated cost: $30,000
- A mechanic is ready to perform an emergency fix. This fix would cause a 4-hour delay and as compensation, the passengers would be reimbursed 50% of the price for their train tickets. Estimated cost: $8,000
- In the event of a complete cancellation, you'd need to reimburse the full ticket price.
- Alternatively, the entire motor could be exchanged. This would cause a 90-minute delay, but the estimated cost of the new motor would be $12,000.
- As the last option, instead of fixing the express train Jumbo Jupiter, you could move the passengers onto a different train. The train Napping Neptune would depart on time (at 6:30 pm), but its speed is only 40% of Jumbo Jupiter's.
What would you decide in this situation and why?
Task: Solve the conflict choosing the best of the 4 options.
- 3 points for the correct answer
- 7 points for the correct explanation