Chapter 5 - Solution cognitive test

• 14 November 2019

A couple of days ago I shared with you the difficult test I had to make in order to become CEO of Apex Trains. It was quite a challenge for me I have to say, but I am proud of what I achieved.... and so can you!

I have checked all your submissions and the results are very impressive. What a great scores! As promissed I will share with you the correct answers of the test and reveal the top 10 submissions.

Adam Petersdecorative-line-break-29.png

Q1 - Which number comes next?

25 – 24 – 22 – 19 – 15 - ?

a) 4

b) 8

c) 10

d) 12

e) 14

Q2 - How many handshakes are there when 3 people shake hands with eachother?

a) 3

b) 4

c) 5

d) 6

e) 7

Q3 - Which letter is missing?

V – R – N - ? – F – B

a) D

b) G

c) J

d) S

e) Z

Q4 - Which completes the pattern?

a) A

b) B

c) C

d) D

e) E

Q5 - Which number should replace the ?

a) 4

b) 5

c) 6

d) 7

e) 8

Q6 - Lisa is both the 5th highest and 5th lowest ranked player in the beach volleyball team. How many players are in Lisa’s team?

a) 7

b) 8

c) 9

d) 10

e) 11

Q7 - Which of the following figures are nets of a cube?

a) A

b) A and B

c) A and C

d) C

Q8 - What is the largest fraction?

a) 3/5

b) 5/8

c) 6/11

d) 8/14

e) 10/18

Q9 - On which days would it be possible for three products to be packaged together?

a) All days.

b) All days apart from Thursday.

c) All days apart from Friday.

d) Only on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.

e) Only on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Q10 - Remove 3 matches to leave 3 squares

a) 3 top matches

b) 3 center matches

c) 1 center & 2 top matches

d) 2 corner & 1 top matches

Q11 - Find the next number in the following series:

-8 5 -3 2 -1 1 ?

a) 0

b) 1

c) -1

d) 3

Q12 - There are 14 more cookies than biscuits in a jar of 38 cookies & biscuits. How many cookies are in the jar?

Answer: 26

Q13 - Hikers

Four hikers want to cross a rope bridge where only two can cross each time. It is already night, so one person has to return the torch after each trip.

Each person takes different times to walk across once: 5, 10, 20 & 25 minutes. What is the least amount of time necessary for everyone to cross?

a) 55

b) 60

c) 65

d) 75

e) 85

Q14 - What objects comes next?

a) A

b) B

c) C

d) D

e) E

Q15 - There are 3 books placed next to each other, like in the picture.

The left purple book has 220 pages, the middle yellow book has 200 pages, and the right green book 210 pages.

How many pages lie between first page of the purple book and the last page of the green book?

a) 200

b) 409

c) 419

d) 628

decorative-line-break-29.png

Now you all have the correct answers I owe you the top submissions. Well done, all of you!

0stRiWP.png

• Well, there is "no debating" ... however ...

Q15:

The question is, shortened: How many pages lie between the first (the leftmost) page of the leftmost book and the last (rightmost) page of the right page.

Between those two sheets of paper are ALL pages of all 3 books, minus those 2 pages themselves ... that would be 628 ... more than only the middle book pages.

Can somone explain to me, why only the mddle book pages should count (would make sense, if tthe words first and last in the question would switch.

Drei Gruppen sagen immer die Wahrheit:

1. Kinder 2. Betrunkene 3. Jeder, der verdammt noch mal stinksauer ist.

• And about Q 10:

If I remove 2 top and 1 center match (answer c) I also keep 3 squares ....

Drei Gruppen sagen immer die Wahrheit:

1. Kinder 2. Betrunkene 3. Jeder, der verdammt noch mal stinksauer ist.

• Think again. Which page is the first page of a book when you look at the spine of a book? Where do you start reading it?

Page #1 is from that perpective the rightmost page of a book.

• Q15: Read the question, take it literally. "Between" means "Between", so only the pages of the middle book count.

The pages of the other books are on top of each other.

Q10: No, you keep 3 squares plus a loose match. Answer D gives you just 3 squares.

Take away the bottom right 2 corner matches and the top middle match.

I do have a question about # 13. I gat to 65 minutes minimum. The 5 minute walker takes the torch back 2x:

25 + 5, 20 + 5, & 10 = 65 minutes. I don't see how it is possible to get them all across the bridge in 60 minutes?

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

• I do have a question about # 13. I gat to 65 minutes minimum. The 5 minute walker takes the torch back 2x:

25 + 5, 20 + 5, & 10 = 65 minutes. I don't see how it is possible to get them all across the bridge in 60 minutes?

There is a quicker way though: let the 5 and 10 min walk first, then the 5min guy goes back (15 min passed), now the 20 and 25 min walk (40min passed) and the 10min guy goes back (50min passed), finally the 5 and 10min guy walk. So we get to the other side in 60min.

• Hi. Do you mean you would like to see how everyone answered in the IQ test? I don't believe we will see a list like that, especially since the answers were not shared on a public forum.

There are listed the answers of the first players so why not all the answers so that we can see how many points we made?

• This is not right!

The right answer is a) 55!

First start 5+25. But 5 stops with the torch in the center of the bridge at 12 minutes and 30 seconds and he give light from there to 25 for the next 12 minutes and 30 seconds.

Then he gives light from the center of the bridge to 20 for 20 minutes (25+20 = 45)

Then he gives light from the center of the bridge to 10 for 5 minutes and then continues with him to the end of the bridge for more 5 minutes (45+5+5 = 55)

• What was the maximum points? 28?

I don't understand either, why the answer on Q5 should be 4? Any explanation?

And then I made some stupid mistakes as well, like the books ... Bad thinking, especially as I had 7 minutes left.