Train research priority

• Hi,

Could someone give some insight on train research and purchase priority across all eras?

I know you should get fully researched swallow -> Falcon -> Lynx but how should i produce from there on and also should i focus on swapping immediately all older trains to newer ones?

Cheers

Eero

• Hello! There is a very handy tool to choose which trains are best for you to use based on your personal playing preferences. Made by other players (GizmoXomziG and Hear Me Roar ) which is located here:

railnationenginecompare.htm?en#8h.

In terms of research path again this varies depending on the preference of the player and if you are playing a server with Passengers.

My main server is a server with Passengers and this is what I choose to run/which order I go through the Lab tree.

Era 1: Swallow (purchase) - Raven (research upgrades to progress through but don't purchase) - Rhinoceros (Purchase and complete all upgrades) - Donkey (Upgrades to progress and don't purchase) - (Falcon upgrades to progress and don't purchase) - Mole (Upgrade and purchase), then I go back and do the Upgrades on the Falcon for the Greyhound unlock that and purchase followed by coupling.

Era 2: Bat (required upgrades and skip) - Black Bear (required upgrades and skip) - Lynx (all upgrades and purchase) - Cheetah (required upgrades to proceed and purchase) - Elephant (all upgrades and purchase) - go back and fill the Cheetah upgrade my trains and then do coupling.

Era 3: Odin (required upgrades and skip) - Dionysos (All upgrades and purchase) - Ajax (required upgrades and purchase) - Osiris (upgrades and skip) - Morpheus (All upgrades and potentially purchase) - Go back and fill the Ajax up - Coupling.

For Era 3 - whether I stick with Dionysos or go for Morpheus depends on whether I am running something such as titles/City Hauling or if i'm running short journeys of less than 4 tracks for the majority of the time.

For Era 4 - I go Apollo (required upgrade, and skip) - Hermes (required upgrades and purchase) - Thor all upgrades and purchase - Go back and fill the Hermes up - Poseidon - Coupling

Era 5 - Medusa as entry, fully load and use. Use this as your cargo train for the Era. Then - Basilisk - Aten (fully upgrade and purchase) - Leviathan - Centaur - Coupling.

Era 6 - Ogre (required upgrades and skip) - Pegasus (required upgrades and skip) - Lindworm (required upgrades and skip) - Hydra (required upgrades and skip) - Olympus (purchase + all upgrades) then I go back for the Minerva. The reason that I go this way although it takes a few more RP's I can then easily pick up the Minerva. So short-term more RP, long-term less.

Again this is just my personal preferences on how I play - but I hope this helps in some way.

Emziie :)

Wake up with determination. Go to bed with satisfaction. <3

• With the balance change last year, many trains became viable in some occasions so it's more difficult to give you a straightforward answer.

The tool Emziie linked you is the best, if you have the time to look around. Otherwise in short I list the train that is most polyvalent for each era (meaning it is at least 90% as good as the best train in all occasions, doesn't have any real weaknesses).

1/ rhinoceros (mostly due to RP, which are extremely expensive in era 1) // whale for passengers, except if you play classic, in which case greyhound is probably a better option, at least if you go heavy paxs. But I haven't played classic competitively.

2/ lynx (elephant is great as well, but further down the research tree so not worth it if you begin and don't know how to use it) // girafe for passengers.

3/ dionysos (morpheus / prometheus viable in a lot of cases, and often slightly better than dionysos, but dionysos is at the beginning of the tree and doesn't have any weakness, compared to the other 2. So easier to use. // Artemis for passengers.

4/ thor / hypnos for passengers

5/ medusa / talos for passengers

6/ olympus / nobody cares about passengers at that point, just stick with talos and research those olympi.

And of course, you go the shortest route possible for the researches, and fully research any train you plan to use for a while. As you can see from my answer, most of the decision-making is in era 1-3. After that, some trains are just way better than the others.

Fr-201 Bad Wolf de coeur

en pause indéterminée - away from the game until next interesting server

• With the balance change last year, many trains became viable in some occasions so it's more difficult to give you a straightforward answer.

Yes, there isn't the clearly best train for each era anymore with the exceptions of the Morpheus in era 3 and Olymp in era 6.

Era 1)

Hardest era to give a straight answer because you'll lack research points and ist depends on the scenario too. And its a matter of taste if you prefer the Falcon or the Mole

USA: Easiest answer. Research straight to the Rhinoceros. Research all upgrades with the exception oft the the acceleration update. Then straight ot the Falcon with all upgrades. The falcon ist better than the Rhinoceros on routes with 2 or more tracks. I prefer the Falcon over the Mole because it comes earlier in the research tree. The Mole is better than the Falcon on routes with less than 3 tracks, roughly equal on routes with 3 track and worse on longer routes

Classic: The same as USA if you dont haul passengers at all. If you want to haul passengers too you have to decide between Rhinoceros/Greyhound and Whale/Mole. Because you'll not able to get Mole and Greyhound and coupling without the massive use of gold. I would prefer Rhinoceros/Greyhound there.

Steam over Europe: I don't play there so take it with a grain of salt. What I hear is that tThe landmarks will need passengers before you are even near to research the greyhound. So many players reserach Raven, Whale and then Falcon or Mole. Maybe the Mule instead of the Raven, but not the Rhino cause you'll need passengers for the landmark.

If you have difficulties to get to the coupling don't use the Flacon and use the Mole cause you have to completly research the Mole anyway.

Era 2)

2/ lynx (elephant is great as well, but further down the research tree so not worth it if you begin and don't know how to use it) // girafe for passengers.

Yes

Era 3)

The Morpheus ist despite its bad acceleration the overall the best train in the era. Depending on the route it's maybe worth it to replace the Lynx with Dionysos until the Morpheus is completly reserarched.

Era 4)

Depending on waiting time Thor or Poseidon. The Poseidon ist better with roghly 2 min or longer waiting time (also depends a little on the length of the route). I would recommend just to use the Thor. Maybe buy one Poseidon later and compare the current route if the 1 Poseidon ist better than 3 Thor. You'll have to decide yourself if it's worth the price to get a full set of Poseidons too.

Era 5)

Medusa for routes with 5 or less tracks, Satyr for routes with 5 or more tracks. The Centaur is like the Medusa. A bit better but also only for routes with 5 or less tracks.

Era 6)

Olymp

Oger, Pegasus, Phoenix and Lindworm ar all better than the era 5 trains, but even I'm not sure if it's really worth to use one of them before the Olymp is researched. I have the habit to stil use the Lindworm even after the change to the research tree last year though.

Edit: I forgot to add Best Train 3D & 2D (Hear ME Roar) Some pictures that will help you maybe. And when in doubt just use Hear me Roars great engine calculator. railnationenginecompare.htm#8h

The post was edited 1 time, last by hilti2 ().

• Era 1)

Steam over Europe: I don't play there so take it with a grain of salt. What I hear is that tThe landmarks will need passengers before you are even near to research the greyhound. So many players reserach Raven, Whale and then Falcon or Mole. Maybe the Mule instead of the Raven, but not the Rhino cause you'll need passengers for the landmark.

What people do on Steam over Europe is either rhino into whale, or raven into whale. The ideal is to get a few players to do each. When playing rhino, you stick to it until lynx and use all the cash to get a lead in the station buildings, since you need a lot less RP (you can basically keep your laboratory at 7-8 until the last days of the era, investing all that money into an almost maxed out restaurant).

Fr-201 Bad Wolf de coeur

en pause indéterminée - away from the game until next interesting server

• Morpheus isn't always a clear winner either - Dionysus can be a lot better than Morpheus in many situations, and vice versa. So its personal preference depending on the goods you are hauling, and how you play. :)

Wake up with determination. Go to bed with satisfaction. <3