⏩ Fast forward - 4x speed

• I suggest you do an experiment.

At the next similar events (not now).

Start an English-only server together with the international server.

The first round of Fast Forward was essentially that experiment.

Most international players will have no problem playing English-only server.

Most, yes. However we did receive A LOT of complaints about players ignoring the language restriction. That's also something to consider: Just because we say "This server is english", this doesn't necessarily mean players stick to it.

And among the older Germans there is a big part (about 20%) who never had a chance to learn perfect English at school.

I'm quite sure it's way more than that, depending on what level of english we are talking about. But yeah, I am of course aware of the age structure of our players and how that affects english skills. The age structure also applies to most of our other regions, it's not just a German thing. So overall, the RN community (not just the German one) is speaking less english than the average gaming population.

OK, back to the idea of an Englisch FF server. Why not? Wouldn't it even help Travian to spread out our game to the west?

So many of the Germans play on international and English servers ... they don't care, some even like it more to be allowed to use ANY language and find new international friends.

Spreading the game to a region requires way more than just setting up a server. And that is precisely what we did for the first round. I'm not sure if you are aware, but there WAS a english FF server. So the question "Why not?" is not really approriate here, because we did in fact already do that. And the result of that experiment in combination with the fact that we can not do the same kind of actions to fill that server again results in the answer to the question "Why not AGAIN?": Because starting an english server again would very likely result in this server being too empty.
    If the resulting numbers prove me wrong and starting an english server would have been an option in hindsight, but as I mentioned before: We do not gamble here. We rely on the the knowledge we have. And the knowledge we have right now is that restarting these servers will most likely result in less players, especially because we can not the same kind of actions to aquire players (and even if we would be, it would be way less effective).
    If the future proves me wrong and (for example) Corona floods the servers with way more players than expected, I'll be the first to celebrate that I was wrong.

• Salix

I didn't even realize there was an English-only server. I would play on it.

I understand why other international players have not understood.

It should probably be declared not as international but as American (US).

The word international brings confusion.

I often play on German servers.

And I can say for sure that there are many players who do not speak English.

It is true that many know.

• First of all: In Europe, Germany is one of the non-english countries with the hightest percentage of english-speakers, only a few percent away from Skandinavia, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Saying Germans are "poorly trained in english" couldn't be more wrong. In Germany, learning English is mandatory in school and you learn all through high school, nowadays even in elementary school or even some kindergardens, resulting in one of the highest percentages of english speakers in Europe. Depending on which statistics you consult, the percentage of German English-speakers is double or triple of many other European countries.

For Russia you are of course right, there it's a bit more uncommon to speak english.

I'm very sorry Salix, I really can't agree with you. I work in real live with lot of German suppliers and hardly anyone can speak or read English. I talk at management level and all ages. The same is going on at the rail nation servers. The english only servers had lots of players but most are gone dead because they are invaded by only German and Russian speaking groups.

I play also native servers where you can't speak the origin language or english anymore. It has become German and Russian. Those groups are to weak to play their own nation servers and to strong for the native servers. With result that the native servers are slowly dying too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• Most, yes. However we did receive A LOT of complaints about players ignoring the language restriction.

That is one thing, that I wonder about here: the word "restrictions". If we talk about languages in RN, we talk restrictions.

You know, I also use virtual worlds like Second Life and others. Those virtual worlds are open to ANY spoken language, and even Latin. Any language is allowed.

As a sailor I also know about radio communication. Any spoken language is allowed, and the professional radio operators on ships and on the coast stations will always try something to understand each other ... just like the residents of virtual worlds do.

Restrictions for me have a negative feeling. I love Second Life, BECAUSE I can meet an Indian professor or a Chinese student or an Oxford guy who emigrated to Brasil ... and we will try several languages (and sometimes translators) with the idea not to restrict communications but to get together.

RN restricts. Only German and English on German servers. If a Hungarian appears and asks for help to play with us, some will help him, some will report him for using Hungarian language.

I would really love an international game to BE international, to BE polyglott. Would mean not to have servers with "all other languages restricted" but just with preferred languages. That would be my idea.

Plus: Yes there are a lot of people that only talk their native lanauage. So it might be a good idea, to ALSO have servers with only one language. Only one, not like the examples Naike told: Germans and Russions taking over Scandinavian or Dutch servers to get their career points and PP quicker and easier, but annoying the Dutch and Sandinavian people.

I am fully aware what that would mean to Travian. It would mean to pay taxes to foreign authorities (like Linden Labs in Calivornia pays the German Mehrwertsteuer when I buy SL Dollars), it would mean to have employees skilled to talk more than just two or three languages (and they would cost more), it would mean to have a multilanguage support team ... but at the end, those game publishers who got a million players HAVE to go that way ... though maybe Corona tells us about dangers of worldwide travelling ... of becoming global ... it might even tell us, that the internet, the games, playing in international communities would be a good way to become global residents without travelling.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there WAS a english FF server. So the question "Why not?" is not really approriate here, because we did in fact already do that.

I AM aware of that, because I decided NOT to play that, because gold and plus would not be transferred to my servers, but restricted to pure English servers. Again, it's restrictions that held me back, restrictions set by RN.

It might not be the main reason, but one of the minor reasons for that empty server, that gold transfer was restricted to only other restricted servers.

Wenn du glaubst du schaffst es, schaffst du es. Wenn du zweifelst, schaffst du es nicht.

Ob der andere nett oder böse schreibt, deine Bewertung wird immer deinem Vorurteil entsprechen.

Technisch: Win 10 Pro, Firefox 79.0 (64 bit), Adobe Flash immer aktuell

• RN restricts. Only German and English on German servers. If a Hungarian appears and asks for help to play with us, some will help him, some will report him for using Hungarian language.

I would really love an international game to BE international, to BE polyglott. Would mean not to have servers with "all other languages restricted" but just with preferred languages. That would be my idea.

Klabauter, you have chances enough to play at multi lingual servers. There are also people who want to play servers with one language for all. the multi lingual servers are creating so much confusion and misunderstanding during communication, which is the biggest part of this game, because people doesn't understand each other anymore. Translate programs are not good to use because they are not working properly. When people don't understand each other there will be frictions and creating a not so nice enviroment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• it would mean to have a multilanguage support team

We already have an international support team, living all across the globe.

If we talk about languages in RN, we talk restrictions

Yes, sometimes, because players want us to. Example: This thread. We offer a server where english is recommened but not mandatory, but some players want us to restrict it and make it mandatory.

Yes there are a lot of people that only talk their native lanauage. So it might be a good idea, to ALSO have servers with only one language.

We already do, if you mean in general.

• Klabauter, you have chances enough to play at multi lingual servers

Yes, thanks Naike, you are right. That is, why I added a paragraph to my post.

Yes, there should be a way to give people a chance that are not polyglott ... my example would be the East Germans, who never learnt English, but had to learn Russian. They should have the chance to play too, on German/English/Dutch/Turksh/Scandinavian/... ONLY servers too.

Salix will tell us about the costs to run servers for small groups. But to grow as a company, that would just be an invest into a bright future, a chance to grow ... and in the back of my head the idea appears, some servers could work with a smaller map, needing less ressources, being cheaper ...

Wenn du glaubst du schaffst es, schaffst du es. Wenn du zweifelst, schaffst du es nicht.

Ob der andere nett oder böse schreibt, deine Bewertung wird immer deinem Vorurteil entsprechen.

• Salix will tell us about the costs to run servers for small groups

Don't put words in my mouth please; we talked about that before (strawman arguments, in case you remember). I never mentioned the topic of server costs at all, for good reason: Server costs, while significant, are not a major argument in comparison to other factors.

In this case, server costs have literally nothing to do with the server setup for Fast Forward. Even internally we never talked about that even once. It's not a factor here.

• We already have an international support team, living all across the globe.

Well, Salix, this is not the thread theme ... but if (just one example of many) Japanese friends show me their ticket sent to support and the answer given in English, I get doubts, if I would call that supporter "international" or "polyglott". I would even doubt about their English skills. And it not only happens in Japanese, but in other languages too.

Yes, you have supporters all over the world. What I ask for are supporters that speak two, three or even more lanuages ... and most of them in a way, that the player gets the idea to be understood.

Not a thing to discuss here, but one you know of how interested I am. So let us discuss that another day in another thread. (did I quote Michael Ende now?)

Don't put words in my mouth please;

Again, I DO NOT put words into your mouth ... I just tell what happens in MY head, when I read your message.

I am not talking about you, when I "put words into your mouth", but I honestly tell you what happens in MY head, when I read.

Communications go in circles, if we do not allow the discussion partner to tell us, what they got as the meaning of our words.

It's wisdom:

Thought is different from written, written is different from read, read is differnt from understood, understood is different from accepted.

Communication only goes forward, if we accept that the receiver understands things different from what we thought.

That I why we should tell the partner, what their words did within us. It's not putting words in your mouth, it's telling you the result that your words made to me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Klabbauter ().

• :sleeping: I will probably never get over the fact that threads with more or less clear titles and introductions get so difigured from the original topic. It's like opening a gardening magazine and finding all articles on economics. I think I have seen a special thread about english speaking servers.

The 4x servers have been running for some weeks now. There will certainly be people who havn't played on one of the yet, but want to join one of the next rounds. They might like to share their exitement, expectations or what ever about that new experience to come. They might like to read what others thought before playing a 4x server for the first time. They might find this thread though you can't identify what it really is about from the headline. And here they find a language discussion, which has hardly anything to do with the Fast Forward anticipation. :rolleyes:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2014) . 10.15.5 (19F101); 2 GHz Intel Core i7 . 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 . Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB / NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Brave Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit),Firefox 75.0 (64-Bit) ; Chrome 83.0.4103.116 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit); Safari 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8) ; Opera 67.0.3575.137 ; SeaMonkey/2.49.4

Last updated 2020 Juli 9. Setup might have been different, when this post was written.

• One round of Rapid Rail is not really a great example of numbers to make an argument is it ? like most servers if you join a few days late you have no real hope of competing to be in the top 10 unless you spend serious cash trying to catch up and almost impossible in 4x games. But just a quick question then " is there no servers for English speaking individuals only " ? International is open to all, Russian for Russian speakers, German for German speaker etc etc, but none for solely English only speaking language. It leaves a bitter taste the way Rapid Rail fans have been treated to be honest.

• There is too much content in the above argument to isolate a quote. So I will step right in to my comments.

The previous 5 or 6 discussion point to the conclusion that every single dedicated server should be scrapped. All servers should be INTERNATIONAL and yet there is just one INTERNATIONAL server.

There is no logic in any argument which says that 25% of the population must share a server with any from the remaining 50% of the world population who want to join the English speaking population.and who do communicate in English by choice. While six servers are provided for the remaining 75% of those who cannot or do not want to communicate in English.

I would like to point out that a significant percentage of the 25% who cannot communicate in English cannot communicate in any of the languages covered by those dedicated servers. There are hundreds of languages which RN ignores.

I will not be on the International Server, I am unlikely find any Maori or Cree there and very few Welsh. Thanks, but, no thanks.

I seriously believe there is something else going on here! Come on RN, World population = Less than 8 billion. English only speaking population = More than 2 Billion. English Speaking as a second language population upto 4 Billion, (total upto 6 Billion) and increasing rapidly. Let us at least have a logical answer, please.

Trains are in the English blood. The English invented the steam engine. The first Steam Locomotive, Pen y Darren, was invented in Wales. The British love their Trains yet you write them off.

(Very few on the English only server complain when someone writes in another language. I am very happy to interpret when I can using Google translate if I have a non English speaker in my association.)

• There is no logic in any argument which says that 25% of the population

The logic behind it is that the distribution of players is in no way identical to the distribution of the world population. The 25% you mention apply to the world population, not to Rail Nation. Also technically it's just 20% and those 20% also include the non-native speakers.

Just to explain this with another example: There is like a billion of people who speak mandarin. So should we offer a Chinese server? No, not really, because RN is not at all popular in China; we have essentially 0 Chinese players.

This example should make it quite clear that simply looking at the languages in the world is in no way at all a logical way to decide which servers are needed.

Come on RN, World population = Less than 8 billion. English only speaking population = More than 2 Billion. English Speaking as a second language population upto 4 Billion, (total upto 6 Billion) and increasing rapidly. Let us at least have a logical answer, please.

Not sure where you got that data from, but the amount of english speaking people (including non-native) is below 1 billion, not 4 billion. The amount of native english speaking people is around 300-400 million, not 2 billion.
    But even if we ignore that your numbers are incorrect and just pretend they are correct, it does not matter at all. Also my numbers don't matter. What matters, is the distribution of RN player, not the distribution of the world population.

Trains are in the English blood. The English invented the steam engine. The first Steam Locomotive, Pen y Darren, was invented in Wales. The British love their Trains yet you write them off.

Yet you ask us to write off the 90% of people & train fans who do not speak english (at least if we follow your logic of just looking at world population).

If you are unhappy about not having your own server where only your language is allowed but only a server where your language is recommended and the most common one, try to imagin how you would feel instead, if you were not allowed to play at all, because none of the languages you speak are allowed.

Because that is precisely what a english-only server means. This is what you are demanding. I can only repeat myself: Please, have some empathy with other players.

• Yet you ask us to write off the 90% of people & train fans who do not speak english (at least if we follow your logic of just looking at world population).

If you are unhappy about not having your own server where only your language is allowed but only a server where your language is recommended and the most common one, try to imagin how you would feel instead, if you were not allowed to play at all, because none of the languages you speak are allowed.

Because that is precisely what a english-only server means. This is what you are demanding. I can only repeat myself: Please, have some empathy with other players.

You seem top have all the statistics it seems, so why have Polish/Dutch/Portuguese only servers when that excludes people who dont speak that language ? i do not expect that they have higher numbers than English only speakers on RN although i could be wrong. Point being you cater for those said languages by giving them there own language servers but not for English speakers.

• You seem top have all the statistics it seems, so why have Polish/Dutch/Portuguese only servers when that excludes people who dont speak that language ? i do not expect that they have higher numbers than English only speakers on RN although i could be wrong. Point being you cater for those said languages by giving them there own language servers but not for English speakers.

From below, you will find the FF round two servers.

I can see the Eastern European server M-41 Superspeed having the Polish flag but I do not see NL or PT there?

Good to remember: English is available on all of these servers. You can select English as the interface language and English is being moderated on all of these servers.

On M-26 the preferred language is English, but other languages are just as welcome if English isn't your strong suit.

What preferred means is better to use one common language in public threads so people can follow the discussions with a common topic meant for everyone.

26591-serverstarts-ff4x-restart-1-png

• Go to current game worlds that are running just now and you will see Dutch NL201 Euromast & Portuguese PT02 Fornalha, actually go to current game worlds and click on country you will see french, german, czech, italian, spanish, turkish, romanian game worlds and although you state any language can be used the majority will be native to that country ! yet no option for English game worlds ! SEEMS STRANGE. many have stated there opinion on this matter and we are getting no resolution, we have to make do with an international server that is swamped with Russians who already have there OWN game worlds. I will continue to play the game but certainly not anywhere near as frequent as i have done in the past.

• The obvious answer is as I said before, make them all INTERNATIONAL

And, my statistics are widely available and not from a single source. The figure you give is the minimum number of non-native speakers of English. The figure is hard to define exactly because it is dependent on the level of English communication required to qualify (I doubt I would actually qualify at your bar!). That is why I said upto.

The English only server serves a purpose, but, if you have to axe it, why not at least recognise the size of the English speaking population and at least offer a choice of International servers. One server is not sufficient.

In my x4 association, I did not actually ask, but, I know that at most only 5 or 6 were native English Speakers, not all were fluent in English and one joined to help him to learn English. When I asked who would join me for another round I had 8 players definite, four possible. When I, later, told them it would have to be on the Fast Track server they dropped like the proverbial flies. Myself and one other and I was having doubts. I like many others enjoy communicating with people world wide, but, cannot cope with or do not want to be constantly struggling with comprehension.

But of course if you do not want to increase Rail Nation popularity over a wider area of the world and are happy to contract your customer base, then you are doing the right thing by offering all English speakers Hobson's choice of one International server.

This is not a question of priority status for English speakers as you imply I am advocating, I am not, but, a question of balance.

• Go to current game worlds that are running just now and you will see Dutch NL201 Euromast & Portuguese PT02 Fornalha, actually go to current game worlds and click on country you will see french, german, czech, italian, spanish, turkish, romanian game worlds and although you state any language can be used the majority will be native to that country ! yet no option for English game worlds ! SEEMS STRANGE. many have stated there opinion on this matter and we are getting no resolution, we have to make do with an international server that is swamped with Russians who already have there OWN game worlds. I will continue to play the game but certainly not anywhere near as frequent as i have done in the past.

English (and English only) language servers are available under International and United States:

COM-1
    COM-2
    COM-3
    COM-5

COM-101
    COM-201
    COM-202
    COM-203
    US-01
    US-101
    US-102
    US-103

All these servers listed have only English as the language option. You can select between UK or US English. No other languages are allowed, as the crew is EN speakers and will only moderate English language.

Then we have Nordic servers that are also part of the COM family. Here you will find 4 Nordic languages available: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Finnish and English of course.

M1.1
    M1.101
    M1.201

• the entire discusssion is why there is no english only fast forward server. Not the current servers which have as you listed above engish only servers.

It is confusing: the standard international servers are English only, event servers suddenly have all languages allowed. :/.

• the entire discusssion is why there is no english only fast forward server. Not the current servers which have as you listed above engish only servers.

It is confusing: the standard international servers are English only, event servers suddenly have all languages allowed. :/.

Event servers like Origin Journey, Masters and Birthday servers all had different languages available. This is nothing new, but I do see why it might confuse someone.

COM-servers, including COM-6 Rapid Rail and COM-301 (OJ-server) have always been English only.

Special servers that start with just M, have had more languages available.

Perhaps the term in the Lobby drop-down menu should be changed from International to something else. US is taken, and UK wouldn't either represent all the English speakers... Anglo? Anglorail... :P What category name would tell players that these servers are only available in English? 'COM English'