bad timing

• why do these hot fixes and up dates have to start on the 15 30 45 or 00 as thats when comps start why does the updates not start at 7 23 34 48 mins as it is annoying that a comp i wanted to enter is the exact time that the new hot fix is scheduled for a little forethought would be a good thing ... come on guys use your brains for once

• Hi, sorry to hear your city competitions were affected by an update.

The updates will run on all servers at the same time, hotfixes will fix something very crucial and those may be activated quite suddenly.

Unfortunately it is not possible to schedule the updates so that each global server and each possible city competition is being considered.

• that is something that should be done as you know the comps run at the 15 30 45 and 00 so the updates could be set at 5 20 35 50 so they didnt cause issues yet again rn are not listening to there customers

• Updates almost always last 90 minutes. Changing 5 or 50 minutes from one end does not change the fact that there's always a city competition somewhere.

It is bad luck if it hits you, but I wouldn't call it a good luck if it hits someone else's city competition.

I will forward your wish for hotfixes if it is possible to consider city competitions, but I doubt it since these updates need to happen asap and they can take 10-15 minutes, or more.

• Samisu, your words made me think. (And fortunately it did not cause too much ache to use the brain muscle again).

Well, there are still 209 html bugs, plus those that are not html but old bugs on server side.

Even if the team plans to fix only 60% of them and have 10 fixed per update ... it will still need weeks and months until the team can proudly state: "Now we have less than 80 bugs in the game!". Anyway still months of work, so what if for the next months:

- there will be no competitions or other extra action on Tuesday to Friday from 10 to 12 am.

- all updates will be done on Tuesdays or Thursdays between 10.30 and 12 am.

- if the updates fail, the hotfix will happen on Wednesday or Friday between 10.30 and 12 am.

- there will be no updates in the afternoon, because then city competitions, era changes and most level ups take place

- yes, some very hot hotfixes occur suddenly and would make the servers explode, they can happen any time, just like the 502 and 504 network errors and load balancer problems

Would just be an internal rule, causing relieability for the customers to plan their game and strategies, and would be little coding, just suppress some comps during the week.

Henry Ford: "Ob du glaubst du schaffst es, oder ob du glaubst, die Limitierungen verhindern das ... du hast auf jeden Fall Recht."

Ob der andere nett oder böse schreibt, deine Bewertung wird immer deinem Vorurteil entsprechen.

Technisch: Win 10 Pro, Firefox 76.0.1 (64 bit), Adobe Flash immer aktuell

The post was edited 1 time, last by Klabbauter ().

• all software providers do their updates during the night, why is Travian an exception??? Most of the servers are at CET/CEST time. That's the best time for everybody

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• all software providers do their updates during the night, why is Travian an exception??? Most of the servers are at CET/CEST time. That's the best time for everybody

The bread and butter, mama and papa of questions! Thank you, happy to answer.

I'm not a very technical person so I can only speak for the results - if something was to go wrong with an update, it is very important to have the team ready and working so whatever happens, it is taken care of right away with all hands on deck.

Yes, of course there are people ready to wake up in the middle of the night and start working on a crisis crash - but it is much better to have all the right people ready for action right away. This is how we avoid risks in the very time sensitive games. Crashes and "stuff" happens still, but at least with updates we are prepared for pretty much anything. The results are better, that's why there are no unnecessary night shifts and people get things done during regular CET working hours.

• Yes, of course there are people ready to wake up in the middle of the night and start working on a crisis crash - but it is much better to have all the right people ready for action right away. This is all based on experience, and we learned how to avoid risks in the very time sensitive games. Crashes and "stuff" happens still, but at least with updates we are prepared for pretty much everything. The results are better, that's why there are no unnecessary night shifts and people get things done during regular CET working hours.

I am retiring now, but when I was a programmer or later a project manager ... yes 2 or 3 times we had a few bugs and our customer got angry and told: "Tomorrow morning 7 o'clock, my employees will be back and they need the program with zero bugs. Otherwise, read the paragraph - fine for breach of contract - in your papers."

So, we were 2 or 3 good technicians and we spent the night in our customer's building, ordering pizza, and using his coffeemaker for double expressos. We hat much fun, we worked well and at about 4 or 5 all bugs had gone, and we were proud about our well done job, but as we were tired too, for good measure we phoned our boss out of his bed ... to tell him the good news.

So, at 7 o'clock there was no need for the boss to appear and bring the whole team to take over and to calm the customer down.

That is, what we thought about priorities: if a bug annoys our customer, the bug MUST be history tomorrow. Or, if it really needed some days, we would tell our customer a deadline, and suggest a good and easy workaround for that time.

Somehow we were more annoyed even ashamed, about bugs we had put in than the customer, because the software, the product, the idea of how to manage their jobs ... that was OUR baby, our pride, our projekt and our well done job. And any bug was a hit into our hearts.

Well, our customers paid us or our bosses directly for the project ... but at the end, even if it's an online game we as customers/players are doing the same, don't we?

See, that is my understanding of bugs and software. There ARE bugs in any software, but more that 1 or 2 that annoy the customers are a nogo. And I think, many creators and also users of software think the same ... in their jobs.

I know, Travian has a different philosophy.

That is, why I did not suggest night shifts. I suggested the morinig for updates. NOT the afternoon.

Because: if there is a failure, the team still has the afternoon to find it and work on it. Updates in the afternoon first of all interrupt the gams on city comps and on epoch changes. Plus, afternoon is starting prime time for your customers.

Howver: if an afternoon update fails ... the team will stay, during the night ... and cause an unplanned night shift.

Plus, I suggested reliability. Telling days of the week, makes you more relieable, creates trust. Gives your customers more chances to plan their most valuable time of their lives: their free time. If you commit to Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings, also your team would know, there is a deadline for their work. If they don't have it finished and tested on Monday, it will not be in the Tuesday update. Deadlines are not THAT bad, for me they always were a motivation to really start working on the schedulos bug ... and not look at the other 208 bugs and think: oh, so many bugs, there is so much time ... I will work slower today and think more about Oriend Express details.

Oh dear ... that stupic brain muscle! .... Continues to think and makes me write silly stuff about IT engineering and bugs and customers ....

Henry Ford: "Ob du glaubst du schaffst es, oder ob du glaubst, die Limitierungen verhindern das ... du hast auf jeden Fall Recht."

Ob der andere nett oder böse schreibt, deine Bewertung wird immer deinem Vorurteil entsprechen.

Technisch: Win 10 Pro, Firefox 76.0.1 (64 bit), Adobe Flash immer aktuell

The post was edited 2 times, last by Klabbauter ().

I happen to disagree. It is fine if you are living in Europe but the game is played world wide. So no matter when it happens, someone can't log in. Plus it is way better to have the tech guys there.

• Well, our customers paid us or our bosses directly for the project ... but at the end, even if it's an online game we as customers/players are doing the same, don't we?

See, there's the problem. We, the Players, are not looked at like paying customers.

We are simply sheep with credit cards to these folks.
    First and foremost they are working on more ways to incentivise us she...players to bust out that almighty plastic.
    They look at that first .. and if they do just happen to glance at the Buglist .. that's just to wonder who pulled it out of the garbage.

Start withholding access to our Credit Cards until GENUINE efforts are made to fix long standing problems.