💬 Let's discuss the changes in videos

• Salix

What is your personal opinion on this proposal?

What is your personal opinion on this proposal?

Personally I wouldn't touch the stars in any way.

s revenue generated for Travian by playing the ad, or players clicking on the ad and going to their site/download?

Kind of a combination. Technically the revenue is generated by simply playing the ad. However, the amount of revenue strongly depends on the "quality" of the person (or playerbase) watching it. So, for example, if Company ABC notices that RN players never actually click on ads (or even buy something), they won't pay much for this or stop their campaign very quickly.
    So, in a way, the revenue is generated by the combination of amount of views and "quality" of the views, with quality being a summary of everything that makes it useful for the advertiser to pay for the ad.
    And even that is just an oversimplification. It's complicated.

• ty for the insight

I have not been aware of this html5 bug because I watch ads exclusively on the app because the developers decided to fix the app issue of 'no ad available' denying bonuses, to a non-ad 5 second countdown for the bonus. To me, this has broken the economy in the game, and worse doesn't give Travian any revenue to make their profit while keeping the game running for my entertainment. I have a lot of time that I can dedicate to this game, and since this change to the app, I click on as many bonuses (I no longer call them ads) as I can and reap huge personal game rewards from it.

To me Rail Nation is a brilliantly designed competitive game. Travian is a for profit company, and I see RN as a game that requires team work, but entices individuals at every turn to go against the team goal for personal rewards. All of this creates conflict between players, and Travian is there to sell you an advantage so you can get an edge on your "enemy".

Also I see four pillars to success in Rail Nation

1. Money

2. Time

3. Knowledge

4. Team

As in real life, those with money will have advantages over those without. That this is also present in a game based on becoming a Railroad Tycoon, the wealthy having advantages is historically accurate.

The introduction of ads gave those without money the ability to invest their time into getting worthwhile advantages over those without time. As pay-to-win players are called Wallet Warriors, I have taken to calling time-to-win players Ad Warriors.

The thing is there is no way that I can think of to balance warriors and non warriors in a way that generates money for Travian. Balance is further lost due to the fact that an individual can be a Wallet Warrior and an Ad Warrior.

With the ad system in place as long as it has been, changing it in any significant way will likely upset the player base. My suggestion, that I think shifts earned bonuses instead of removing them, is to award the second bonus to that player in the corp not the player taking the action.

Individuals will have a hard cap on the number of bonuses they can generate themselves on any given day (which hopefully greatly reduces the advantages of cheaters), but this also promotes team play in a way that still generates money for Travian.

• A further alteration that I think will promote team play that would tie in with my suggestion for Ads, is instead of ad bonuses scaling with eras that, like the lotto building, corps would have a prestige based building that offer better or different bonuses as the corp earns prestige.

Back in the day when there was no cool down for joining a corp, my group had a worker share program where anyone was invited to join our corp, use a worker, then return to their corp. It was a major way we generated good will for building a team of many corps to compete in End Game. This violated the spirit of a competitive game and the cool down addition, while annoying, I understood it's purpose.

Today, the work around to being a true competitor is to reform your corp to get bumped down into a less competitive tier. There is a ~12 hour "cooldown" (on a 2X server) until the first worker is available, but it can be days/weeks of easy competition until you earn enough prestige as a corp to get back into the top tier of workers.

Having a corp building, leveling based on corp prestige, will also discourage this practice if reforming the corp also greatly diminishes the bonuses that the corp will earn by its members watching ads.

• Whatever you do or change to the videos, please please dear Train Gods, add a 5 second 'skip button' to the Travian game backup videos!

1) This will prevent all RN players from going insane as these videos are too long and the players have already seen each Travian game video over 1,000,000 times!

2) This will equalize the current unfairness of mobile app players only having a 5 second countdown to ALL videos and therefore able to watch all of the association's videos before the web players even finish their first one.

3) It will not cost RN or Travian a dime, as these are back up videos which do not generate any income and it is an easy and very quick addition or fix which will greatly improve customer (player) satisfaction.

4) It will minimize the negative effects of the cannibalistic marketing strategy of Travian, trying to steal players from one game (away from RN) to pull them to a different Travian game. This is a losing strategy which only pisses off customers which you already have.

Many players have asked for this a gazillion times, in surveys, forums, support tickets and direct messages.

Will anyone from RN please listen for once?

Thank you.

• IMHO, the mobile player's 5 second countdown is balanced out by the PC player's ability to use a widget. That is so grossly unfair it's ridiculous. The 5 second countdown for mobile merely evened the playing field....finally. Remember, us mobile players spent over 3 months not being able to watch a single video, ever....seems like we should get something in return for that.

• I understand that, but now the widget advantage is gone and the web players don't get to watch a single video because they are all gone after 3 minutes? That isn't exactly fair either.

Finally fixing the travian game videos and not purposly boring every web player to death with them by adding a skip button, would finally make it fair for everyone going forward.

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

• So the web players get to use the widget to instantly collect everything AND they get to skip the ads as well? Then what are the mobile players supposed to do? I already get nothing on roughly 50% of all the ads I try to watch because if someone else has started it I still have to sit though the countdown, only I can't collect it when the button turns green...then sometimes can't close the screen for 30+ seconds. All while the web players are collecting and watching everything.

• No, the widget doesn't work like that anymore, that feature is gone now where everyone can watch all of the videos at the same time. This is the whole reason for the video discussions in the other threads.

It's just a race between all players now to watch videos as fast as you can before they are gone.

The web players take at least 1 minute to watch a single bonus (2 videos) while the app players only take 10 seconds.

• No, the widget doesn't work like that anymore, that feature is gone now where everyone can watch all of the videos at the same time. This is the whole reason for the video discussions in the other threads.

It's just a race between all players now to watch videos as fast as you can before they are gone.

The web players take at least 1 minute to watch a single bonus (2 videos) while the app players only take 10 seconds.

That's not true, you get to see everyone's station at once, and you get to almost instantly collect the bonuses. Yes, the video's take longer to watch, but you get to see who has a video and who doesn't and not have to flip between every single person's station one by one to see if there might be a bonus available or not. Like I said, it evened the playing field in my opinion....since this is how mobile has worked forever....well the forever when we could even watch ads that is.

• I just did a comparison, between web and app.

True, with the widget clicking the bonuses is faster.

but watching the videos definitely is not!

The advantage of the app 5 second count down is huge!

And scolling through the stations was actually faster on the app than on the web, the app was much more stable.

I could watch many videos there, while from the widget they were all gone within a few minutes by the app players.

I don't care about the past. I'm just asking for a level playing field going forward.

There is no reason to force 1 minute long travian game videos on players, which they have already seen more than 1mln times each. They need a 5 second skip button as well.

• Ok so Samisu told us that on 8th May the hot fix shut down would be fixing the issues with videos - I took this to mean that I could expect at least a second video when I watch having my plus account in place.

Sadly not the case - I am still missing second videos today

Was there any feedback on this from the team?

Get out of bed - celebrate waking, go to bed - survived another day:thumbsup:

• Ok so Samisu told us that on 8th May the hot fix shut down would be fixing the issues with videos - I took this to mean that I could expect at least a second video when I watch having my plus account in place.

Sadly not the case - I am still missing second videos today

Was there any feedback on this from the team?

I had the same issue too, it's less that the second video is not rewarded but still there. So it's not fixed.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

• good evening everyone, first i want to ask if this forum is open for suggestions from other servers cause i'm new in comparison from the rest of you here and i play mostly in the greek server.

I have the same problem with the 2nd video as well as other co-players. I can see that the problem lays at the amount of videos playing simultaneously watch at all servers and they want to narrow them down but the point is that players, including myself, never cared about the video it self but for the bonus it comes with it so in any case i dont care as much on why i dont see the 2nd video instead i care mostly on how i'll acquire the bonus (research points, lottery tickets,money,waggons) and for once its a job Travian has to make to find the solution to that problem instead of asking us, the players to pinpoint their mistakes!

• I don't understand why we are spammed with this kind of emails and still the guaranteed second video for people with a plus account isn't always rewarded. It should be fixed during the last mainanance.

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

Edited 2 times, last by naike ().

• Naike I knew that email would reach the forum :saint:

It's unfortunate that while we have players who cannot watch the guaranteed 2nd video, this email campaign was still scheduled and running. The message it sends clashes with the ad video issues, I know. While we can't stop the email campaign now, we will fix what was left unfixed in the last update. That's one of the top priorities we are working on at the moment.

• Naike I knew that email would reach the forum :saint:

It's unfortunate that while we have players who cannot watch the guaranteed 2nd video, this email campaign was still scheduled and running. The message it sends clashes with the ad video issues, I know. While we can't stop the email campaign now, we will fix what was left unfixed in the last update. That's one of the top priorities we are working on at the moment.

But still I don't understand why this should be sent towards the regular players who are aware of this feature. It's a total waste of time and money. We see here for several weeks that there is a real war going between team mates to watch the videos.

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress