💬 Let's discuss the changes in videos

• If we are to have a level playing field, then mobile app users need to be able to use a widget, just like the desktop users. If you just put a 5 second skip button in for the desktop people, then mobile users have no chance again.

Solution: Put a 5 second skip in for desktop and remove the widget. That way desktop users have to flip through every station, all while not being able to do anything else, just like the mobile users do.

• That's not really true Thad,

I'm all for adding the widget to mobile as well, of course that's only fair.

But to say that the mobile users have no chance is nonsense. Right now, it's the web players who have no chance.

And scrolling through the stations is pretty easy and quick on mobile. It's much more stable than on the web.

The only advantage the widget gives is faster clicking of the bonuses but that's really it, the rest is all a disadvantage compared to the mobile users. And If they get a 5 second skip button, it will be pretty equal.

There is little to none advantage from the widget regarding the videos.

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

• There's a huge advantage to the widget in regards to videos. It's the same advantage you have of being able to 1 click on every single person's bonus and collect it. Because you see when everyone's video is available without having to go into the station screen, then you get to collect them all without having to figure out who actually has a bonus to watch and who doesn't, and on top of that you see a counter for every single person, making it easy for you to time when you can collect bonuses/watch video's and when you can chat or actually concentrate on playing the game. How is it fair as a mobile user I have to flip through every station 1 by 1 hoping a bonus will be there, with no way to tell if one will or one won't? Am I just supposed to stop playing the game and endlessly cycle though everyone's station and hope that maybe, just maybe someone on a desktop didn't already spend 10 seconds collecting it? Or if I see someone is going to have a bonus available in 2 minutes then I just sit looking at their station for 2 minutes and hope a desktop user doesn't have better ping and collect it before I can anyway? The widget is a HUGE advantage. Giving mobile a 5 second skip just evens things out.

• Sorry, but that's nonsense. You're still missing the point.

Widget users can click bonuses quicker yes, but they don't get to see any of the videos.

Because the mobile users have watched all 75 of them before the widget user is done with their own 3 videos.

This is a HUGE disadvantage for the web

And your scrolling through the stations on mobile is actually pretty quick. The app is stable. You're not missing out on anything. Please explain to me how in the world a widget user is going to be able to steal all the videos from you when it takes him several minutes to even load and watch one of them and you are done in 5 seconds flat???

I have access to both mobile and web. I can only watch videos on mobile, it is just not doable on the web.

Try it, you will not be complaining about anything after that, trust me.

And also, even if RN does decide to be intelligent and fair and they give the travian game videos a 5 second skip for web users, it still takes us a good 10 seconds to load each one and half the time they don't even work either and require a reload, and another, and another reload. This.... is our real frustration and the main reason why nobody watches videos on the web if they can avoid it. You say this evens things out, but it only makes it worse for the web players.

I mean really, how in the world can you argue this unless it's just to keep the huge advantage for the app players alive? Something needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly.

• I mean, this discussion is pretty pointless.

Just collect everything on your desktop, move to mobile, and watch the videos. Everybody is happy.

No point in saying one platform is better off than the other. Mobile players got shit on for 2 years in terms of videos. Now it's desktop users that get shit on. For how long ? we don't know. Probably a few months given the rythm we got used to for videos on mobile Kappa.

Fr-201 Bad Wolf de coeur

en pause indéterminée - away from the game until next interesting server

Likely coming back for clash!

• I agree, the tangent discussion between web and app is indeed pointless.

But the thread is to discuss changes to the videos. And my #1 suggestion to improve this is to add a 5 second skip to the backup Travian game videos, which are too long, which bore everyone to death, which only send players to other Travian games and away from RN, and which provide 0 revenue for Travian anyway.

This suggestion still stands and is a good idea imo.

• I agree, the tangent discussion between web and app is indeed pointless.

But the thread is to discuss changes to the videos. And my #1 suggestion to improve this is to add a 5 second skip to the backup Travian game videos, which are too long, which bore everyone to death, which only send players to other Travian games and away from RN, and which provide 0 revenue for Travian anyway.

This suggestion still stands and is a good idea imo.

I can not really judge this suggestion, since I'm not an expert on the topic. And that topic is cross promotion. While I totally get that seeing a Travian Kingdoms video for the 10.000st time does not really convince me to play that game, those videos still exist for a reason and that reason is that some players DO start playing those other games.
    And you are not entirely correct when you say that there is 0 revenue for Travian in this. First of all it's possible that a player spends money in both games. And secondly, simply having people play (or being aware of) multiple games within the Travian family is beneficial. If a player gets bored with one game, he might switch to another Travian game instead of going elsewhere.

So there is some benefit in this, even if it's not direct revenue.

All that being said, like I said, I'm not an expert on this, so I don't know how big those effects are, especially for older games.

What I CAN tell you however, is, that this situation will most likely improve in the future and fallback videos will be less common. Why? Because it has never been as bad as right now and there is a very specific and (hopefully) temporary reason for that: Covid-19.
    Many companies have stopped their marketing campaigns since the Covid-19 outbreak, resulting in a way lower amount of videos we can distribute.
    Additionally we want to make those videos a bit less annoying by adding more videos. For example we recently added the American Dream video. And right now (or soon, not 100% sure when this starts) we also show videos by the World Health Organisation. Those are technically not fallback videos but a normal advertising campaing, with the one major difference that we are not getting paid for this.

Letting players skip fallback videos after 5 seconds is sadly not a good option, since this could be used for an exploit.

• Thank you for the reply Salix, and I understand what you are trying to say regarding 'cross selling' and having players informed about all the different products a company has to offer.

But there is also something called 'Cannibalism' in business, where different divisions of the same company try to compete with each other. The outcome is always the same: bankruptcy.

Gamers are generally well informed about the total offering of Travian games, as they are clearly displayed on the Travian site. I have played many of them over the years. The real problem is that you think that gamers will dedicate more playing time and money to Travian games if they switch to another Travian game. This is just simply not the case and all you are doing is pulling a customer you already won in different directions, splitting their gaming time (and probably therefore also their money as they are not going to magically increase their gaming budget all of a sudden) between different games. The real marketing value you (read Travian) should be after is marketing your games to NEW customers, not current customers. And you should definitely not be annoying or boring your current customers to death with these pointless marketing tactics. Even if you are able to pull a player away from RN to a new game AND you are able to increase his daily gaming time from say 8 hours to 16 hours (which is highly unlikely) AND if you are able to increase his budget he or she is willing to spend on games, in the process you will still lose 10 other players to your competitors, because they are beyond frustration with these videos and can not bear to watch a single one of them anymore (even if you did just add 2 new ones like adam's office view and American Dream). In these couple of days I have already watched those another 1000 times and can probably draw them frame by frame already from memory. The older Travian game videos I have to guess at least 100,000 times each :P. What in the world do you hope to accomplish by forcing me to watch these in full length that many times???

I have a lot of experience in marketing, I have seen great marketing campaigns and very poor ones. This strategy is a poor one, and although I do not have access to the numbers I strongly believe the thinking is flawed and Travian is only hurting themselves and wasting a lot of time and effort on the wrong target market, while at the same time pushing valued and difficult to win current customers away. I would urge you to really think about this.

Last point, great that there will be less need for the 'back up videos' in the future, but this I also find hard to believe. Over the last 2 years, more than 95% of all videos I received have been Travian game videos. They are now maybe 99%. I simply do not believe you that all of a sudden this will switch to less than 10% or some other small number after COVID is over. Furthermore, the mobile users all have a 5 second countdown already. So why punish the web users until they are unable to compete and until they seriously fall behind in game vs the mobile users? What is the business or marketing strategy behind this??? It can not be a good thing to treat users that differently or to give huge advantages or disadvantages to certain platforms. Before you realize what you are doing, you will lose an entire player base!

Also, what exploit are you referring to? You don't have to explain it in detail, but you would only be giving the web users a similar (albeit still smaller due to loading times) advantage as the mobile users. If there is an 'exploit' then this is already available to half of your players and not to the other half?

• I still think the video feature is far too overpowered. Somebody wrote that the videos only matter in the first eras. In the last 24 hours i made enough waggon vouchers to get all the machinery waggons I need for the endgame with Oly's and bonus trains. It's value was probably 25mil+ and thats without counting the other stuff I got as well. Usually our hardcore prestige hunter watches most of these videos and its no wonder that these players dont need to run for money if they can compensate their lower profits with this feature.

Imo something that has nothing to do with trains or delivering goods shouldnt have such a big impact on the game. If the mechanism "you run profit but make less prestige or vice versa" doesnt work anymore than the system is broken in my opinion. I dont enjoy watching them I would rather have somebody else doing it but I would be dumb to leave these advantages aside.

• Starting this morning, the ONLY video that will pop up in the browser is a 5 minute 30 second youtube video.....at the end of which I don't even receive a bonus for watching.

Well played Travian, WELL PLAYED!

Back to the craptastick buggy mobile platform.

• Starting this morning, the ONLY video that will pop up in the browser is a 5 minute 30 second youtube video.....at the end of which I don't even receive a bonus for watching.

Well played Travian, WELL PLAYED!

Back to the craptastick buggy mobile platform.

Hi Thad, when the video starts to play the next time - could you pick the 5 numbers from the top corner of the video and send this ID to game support? It's possible there's a broken video coming from somewhere and if that is the case, we will have it removed. But, support can help you more here :)

• Still can't watch videos in the browser because the same one keeps playing.... Samisu there are no 5 numbers at the top of the video. I tried to attach a screen shot, but it won't upload.

Now this morning you guys ninja made the countdown in mobile 30 seconds. So I just stare at a countdown for 30 seconds. That's a fun game.

I'll be using up the gold I have saved up and quitting.

• Same. We demand 5 second skip buttons for boring, useless and non-working videos. We ask 1000x.

And what do the geniuses do? Keep the non-working videos that do not complete and do not give the 2nd bonus, and change the 5 second mobile countdown to 30 seconds. Really genius. Why why why ???? It seems RN takes every opportunity they get to make the game more unplayable and more annoying or boring for the players. Every single time. 1000 times you can make suggestions or offer solutions. They will just never listen and probably do the exact opposite. It's almost funny, if it wasn't extremely frustrating.

Goodbye RN, it was a fun game for a while but you screwed it up beyond repair and are providing 0 hope that anything will change. And I'm not talking about the game itself which is still unplayable for me, but more so because of your attitude, stupidity and unwillingness to listen to the players. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors, you will need it.

• Please report the faulty videos to our game support. For example the Vienna 2020 Youtube videos have been reported and we will get that fixed asap.

To demands of 5 second skip button for "useless and boring" videos have been heard, but there are no plans to add a 5 second skip. For mobile, players will get a pop-up with a 30 second counter if the videos do not work, and on browser players get the full videos with max 60 second skip option. Mobile players used to have a 5 second skip, but now app version is more in line with browser version - players have similar chances of collecting bonuses from videos. Mobile players used to have a clear edge.

When reporting faulty videos to support, please add the video ID in your message. These 5 digits can be found at the top corner of the video, usually at least. With the above mentioned Vienna vids, the ID flashes for 1 second or so when the long video ends so it may be hard to catch the number.

• You could have just added a 5 second skip to the long, useless, 0 money making and boring travian game videos, like we asked.

That way both Web AND Mobile players would have been on the same level with equal chances and all would have been able to take advantage of video bonuses while still enjoying the game.

This way, you have made it impossible for anyone to do this. The game is already unplayable in html, needing to open windows, scroll map or change trains multiple times before it works correctly, taking enormous amounts of playing time away. And now you have just eaten up ALL of the remaining playing time with the 30 second countdowns. With 30 seconds per video, it takes at least 0,5 x 6 = 3 minutes (usually 5 with some time in between videos, so let's call it 4) to watch all of 1 player's videos. With 25 players in a corp, that's 100 minutes to make 1 full round if you are the only one watching. The restaurant bonus only takes 90 minutes to regenerate, so now it is IMPOSSIBLE to activate everyone's station bonuses.

Furthermore, half of the time after watching a long boring Travian game video or blank screen on mobile, if you do not press collect right away within a few seconds, the second video does not activate and you get stuck. That requires clicking away the video you just watched and starting over, with each single video now taking well over a minute to watch. And for what? What is the intention or value in this other than to just annoy every single player?

Plus, who in the world thought it was a good idea to take 100% of player's time and force them to watch useless blank screens or videos of other games which they have seen 1mln+ times, instead of enticing them to actually play the game itself? Even just for a few minutes every hour can I please try to play the game?

"Rail Nation, the great strategic Blank Screen watching game! You will be able to stare at a blank screen 24/7 without having to do anything complicated or interesting. Come play now for free with all your friends!"

"Also reschedule your trains over and over and over and over and over again with no effect, your enjoyment will be endless!"

Any other marketing statements or external adverts stating anything different than the above should be deemed misleading and false.

I stand by my judgement of stupidity and add on a case of insanity...

Goodbye.

Edited 5 times, last by Dutcher ().

• Here's where you made your mistake Treviathon, in my case. I use the bonus videos as a means to pickup significantly discounted lottery tickets. A 5 sec wait was something I could tolerate. A 30 sec wait, or a lame video, not so much. Guess who'll be spending less gold in games now???

For every action there is always a reaction.

The better solution would have been to make the videos shorter... who really needs 30 secs to get a message or point across?

• Please report the faulty videos to our game support. For example the Vienna 2020 Youtube videos have been reported and we will get that fixed asap.

To demands of 5 second skip button for "useless and boring" videos have been heard, but there are no plans to add a 5 second skip. For mobile, players will get a pop-up with a 30 second counter if the videos do not work, and on browser players get the full videos with max 60 second skip option. Mobile players used to have a 5 second skip, but now app version is more in line with browser version - players have similar chances of collecting bonuses from videos. Mobile players used to have a clear edge.

When reporting faulty videos to support, please add the video ID in your message. These 5 digits can be found at the top corner of the video, usually at least. With the above mentioned Vienna vids, the ID flashes for 1 second or so when the long video ends so it may be hard to catch the number.

So the desktop players still get a widget to 1 click collect everything with timers on them and to be able to see all of that while watching ads, or to see when there is chat, or countless other things..... mobile players have to just look at a stupid counter while not being able to do anything else or know if any other player has a bonus ready, or anything? On top of the desktop players getting a 5 second skip on at least some of their videos? How is that now remotely balanced???

Why don't you guys fix the stupid video function instead of continuing to turn away loyal customers?

• Before the 30second waiting. Im enjoying this game despite the bug and the long loading screen. Because i search for 5 - 10 gold ticket. But now there is no way i wait 1 minute just for a small chance for that lottery. Im not watching any ads since than, not even any of the corp member help mine anymore.

Im not enjoying this game for now