Exploiting the game to gain unfair advantage

• I apologize if I hurt you.

I don't want to argue.

I just want to show you how difficult these things really are.

If you want I can stop commenting.

I do it only for the benefit of the discussion.

• Well, you are both right.
    Yes /Mihai, there are ways to find multi account users and apart from what you already wrote, there are also other aspects we are looking at when investigating such cases. In many cases a pattern will emerge if you look at all the pieces together. We are already doing it that way.

And HRM is also correct in pointing out that many patterns can have multiple meanings.

I don't want to and cannot go into detail about how we do this investigations and what data we use and what we don't use and how it works. It would make it easier for people who want to abuse the system.

I will say this though - we are constantly improving our support tools, so even if we couldn't proof a case last year, does't mean we cannot now or cannot in a few months.
    So please keep reporting players, that you think are breaking the rules. That will help us a great deal.

• Hello Saphirus, thank you for your message.

Whenever I had strong suspicions of alternate accounts, I've let the support team know about them; I've done it this round too. Of course I understand you cannot take my word for it, I'm simply doing my due dilligence towards my team. Furthermore I don't know how your game infrastructure is built, apologize if I made it sound easy, I'm just someone who really likes the game and happens to be a data analyst. I'm just trying to find solutions to a problem that has been interfering with my game play more than once. Like I said, I would start by looking into these tables (if they exist that is): IP table, login timestamp, online time, number of competitions (alternate accounts don't run many, if any at all), private messages, number of actions, etc.

Onto exploiting workers, you are correct (of course) about the timer but as you pointed out later the issue remains valid. As a solution, I was thinking that a newly joined player could not benefit from the workers the association has PRIOR to his acceptance. Instead he would benefit only from the workers the association hired AFTER he joined it. It's a thought.

@Mihai: just think of what RN employees (or agents that work on their behalf) are paid of. Usually these MA players also spend a lot of $$ in the game. That is most likely the reason that the effort to identify is not that big.

(Edited by CM: Please contact game support if you suspect someone is breaking the rules)

Kind regards,

FrommArt (an average player who likes the game, spends enough for gold+ and some small packages, but not thousands to win a round, but getting frustrated by such behiaviour).

• I don't want to and cannot go into detail about how we do this investigations and what data we use and what we don't use and how it works. It would make it easier for people who want to abuse the system.

Do you use AI to improve recognition?

This is currently one of the best directions of development.

But there are many pitfalls to using just that.

• @Mihai: just think of what RN employees (or agents that work on their behalf) are paid of. Usually these MA players also spend a lot of $$ in the game. That is most likely the reason that the effort to identify is not that big.

(Edited by CM: Please contact game support if you suspect someone is breaking the rules)

FrommArt (an average player who likes the game, spends enough for gold+ and some small packages, but not thousands to win a round, but getting frustrated by such behiaviour).

That actually doesn't matter at all. We treat everyone the same.

• I suggest all players who are caught abusive to lose their gold and plus account on this server!

• No, please, don't get me wrong. What I meant is that I won't debate the subject, you are free to continue it with whoever may wish to.

Thank you!

• Thanks!

I want exactly the things you want!

I have been discussing and considering these issues for a long time.

• @Mihai: just think of what RN employees (or agents that work on their behalf) are paid of. Usually these MA players also spend a lot of $$ in the game. That is most likely the reason that the effort to identify is not that big.

I can't agree with that !!! We'd rather get 20x 500 from satisfied players who stay because they see Fair Play, than 1x 10,000 from M-A, which will discourage 20 players. Real players makes the game more interesting than any M-A association.

• I can't agree with that !!! We'd rather get 20x 500 from satisfied players who stay because they see Fair Play, than 1x 10,000 from M-A, which will discourage 20 players. Real players makes the game more interesting than any M-A association.

That's not completely true, I guess it depends which domain it is. I know asso's who can play like this for years now. We all see the patterns, password sharing during worker auctions, multi accounts etc. In the same order online, offline. Also during endgames, you can predict which avatar comes online after the previous. etc etc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• HOT SEAT ACCOUNT

Time online is not a good measure of a hot sear account.
    I keep the game open 24x7 on my desktop, it may go to sleep occasionally, and while I am sleeping,
    but it is on my screen all the time, even when I am working on my work computer sitting next to it.
    How do you envision to separate those cases?

• 3. HOT SEAT ACCOUNT

Hmm, yes, but much like alternate accounts, you can devise a database query to sort the online time table. Thus you would see which players have been online for unreasonable amounts of time and cross-reference with the IP table. If the IPs don't match, then it's pretty straight forward I'd say.

I usually play from phone and from computer. I'm pretty sure my phone has a few IP adresses (the IP is linked to the internet source right? > a few for 4G access, one for each wifi, etc). You would most likely flag me with such a query, wrongly.

Furthermore, this "2-3 player on one account" thing is not that big of a deal in RN I think (compared to travian, where if you cannot defend during the night you are dead for example). Yes, it's an issue in x2 and in x4 (reason why I don't play on those servers), but on regular servers, I can handle my account by myself and compete against 2 people quite easily I think. Sure, I won't do that every server, but once in a while it's ok.

The 2 other issues I fully agree with you.

One thing with the multi-account issue (and the workers) is listed in the rules :

1.5. An account must only be played for its own success and is not allowed to exist for the exclusive benefit of another account. Accounts that are exclusively used to provide other accounts an advantage (‘pushing’) are forbidden.

Some accounts that invest too much money into workers should get banned according to that rule. It cannot be reported by players (because we don't have access to that data, except if we are in the same team, in which case there is 0 reason for us to ban our teammates). And it should be looked at more closely by support.

And a guideline should be decided by RN across all servers for that kind of behaviour (what are the limits, and be consistent across servers).

Fr-201 Bad Wolf de coeur

en pause indéterminée - away from the game until next interesting server

Likely coming back for clash!

• The rule 1.5 can be a bit confusing, especially the starting part of that rule. I may take a hit for my association or for a friend which is perfectly fine, I can invest so others have shorter waiting times even if my own game progress (town building) slows down. It can help me in the long run, build relationships and a strong association - or it may not, that is still my risk to take and my decision. I can also make bad decisions/mistakes that did not help my account to succeed, while someone else benefits, it happens.

The rest of that rule is more clear. Someone might create multiple accounts and start in the same city just to "push" the main account(s) to succeed, while the other accounts are left to die on purpose. That's naturally against the rules and forbidden.

This rule does not forbid players from working together even if someone was left with a short straw. It all depends on how one defines success and what makes them have fun in the game. Perhaps we should look into this rule more closely if it sounds misleading. Thanks for bringing it up sacroima

1.5. An account must only be played for its own success and is not allowed to exist for the exclusive benefit of another account. Accounts that are exclusively used to provide other accounts an advantage (‘pushing’) are forbidden.

• Yes! This is definitely misleading!

Does not allow a player to play in favor of other players. For example, in favor of his team.

I often invest in the success of the team. Because I am not interested in my own success!

According to this rule, I am guilty.

Thе rule 1.5 contradicts the team spirit!

• Yes! This is definitely misleading!

Does not allow a player to play in favor of other players. For example, in favor of his team.

I often invest in the success of the team. Because I am not interested in my own success!

According to this rule, I am guilty.

You are guilty of being a good team player :saint:

• In my opinion, only the second part should remain.

I don't see the point of the first part.

It should look like this:

1.5. Accounts that are exclusively used to provide other accounts an advantage (‘pushing’) are forbidden.

• Yes, that's the issue of the rule.

But then, there is a difference between paying for a worker to help your team and yourself, and for example selling half your wagons to get a worker because your team needs it and you don't care about your account.

Second case should be banned based on the rule, right ? But what is the limit ? What is the point where someone doesn't play for his own success ? Is selling 20% of your wagons accepted ? or is it already too detrimental to your own account ?

Or is selling all your wagons to invest in industries for your association accepted ? Would it be accepted if you do that to trash another corp's industry ?

That rule is definitely too vague and needs interpretation. Which is usually a bad thing, when different domains do not have clear guidelines to apply the same ruling.

Fr-201 Bad Wolf de coeur

en pause indéterminée - away from the game until next interesting server

Likely coming back for clash!

• Trivia time - this same rule used to be part of the rules of Travian: Legends - and many of the rules are still the same (or used to be at least) what Rail Nation shares today.

Not long ago, the rules were adjusted in Travian: Legends - and they don't tell players to play solely for the benefit of their own account anymore. Basically because the game is alliance based and there are times when you may need to forget your own success for the good of others. The strategic decision making is left to players, what benefits their role in the alliance and supports their playing style.

Good reminder to have a closer look at our Rail Nation rules as well. With a quick visit I noticed it starts with a typo. :whistling:

'The game rules are an extension of the general terms and conditions. In the event of a ban, or simply for checking what is and isn’t allowed, the general terms and conditions should be read. Particularly here 8.'
    (Should point to section 11 in the general terms and conditions - which are up to date)

:sleeping: 10 minutes till midnight - best leave the rest for next week.

• HOT SEAT ACCOUNT

Time online is not a good measure of a hot sear account.
    I keep the game open 24x7 on my desktop, it may go to sleep occasionally, and while I am sleeping,
    but it is on my screen all the time, even when I am working on my work computer sitting next to it.
    How do you envision to separate those cases?

True, and expected from some players, but the system would flag you as idle (I think/I hope).

Again, all these should just make the support team to look into, not to take actions based solely on those markers. If I were a RN employee I would like to have a shortlist I could look into rather than manually going through the playerbase.