New in-game messaging system!

• New in-game messaging system!

The quality of the game should always be your top 10 goals!

Your next goal should be the in-game messaging system!

This is a social game - with lots of communication!

A social game without good communication is nonsense!

Please pay special attention to this topic as your next goal.

I suggest:

- It works quickly and flawlessly!

- everything is a forum - I suggest you combine a forum and a chat in the game (stupid. complicated and confusing it is to have 2 separate things that are the same)

- instead of chat - possibility for forum topics to be pinned in the game (looks like chat now)

- I suggest to have emoticon icons, icons for goods, etc ...

- Read-only topics can be created in each team. (deputy/chair)

- deputy-only topics can be created in each team. (deputy/chair)

Do you have any other suggestions?

• - Read-only topics can be created in each team. (deputy/chair)

There are topics that need to remain clear.

There should be no discussion in these topics. So that only the most important information can be found.

Many players are busy in real life. Many players take in the game for only a short time.

And they don't have time to read big discussions.

They want to read only the most important information. Or refuse to read at all!

- management (deputy-only) topics can be created in each team. (deputy/chair)

There are organizational topics in the team that should be discussed only by the management of the team. Without having to write 1000 personal messages.

• I like the idea of read-only threads. I hate it when people write in the read-only... then someone else writes in the read-only not to write in the read-only lol

There could be some option to give permissions to specific players or groups to write in certain threads. That would be cool.

I'm not a fan of the little faces :) I'm old and like the text faces, which I don't think I can make in here without having to think about it too much.

Rail Nation Digital Railway Tycoon

COM03 Smoke Chamber

• I like the idea of read-only threads. I hate it when people write in the read-only... then someone else writes in the read-only not to write in the read-only lol

There could be some option to give permissions to specific players or groups to write in certain threads. That would be cool.

I'm not a fan of the little faces :) I'm old and like the text faces, which I don't think I can make in here without having to think about it too much.

Feedback to suggestions from past weeks

Give an association the right to name someone who can create closed threads, where no-one but them can comment. This would help with endgame calls.

This suggestion is already on our list for features we'd like to see in the future as well (when the right moment comes...)

• I'm very happy with discord. This chat program is specially build for gaming communities. Very stable, I use it now I think for almost two years. I experienced two short downtimes in this time.

Moderating in-game has become a very rare thing. Discord you can moderate yourself or with bots

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• The forum in the game is not a real forum.

The in-game forum is a collection of chats on various topics.

Both are instant messaging systems.

Therefore it is very easy for them to unite.

I suggest we give a new meaning to the chat.

In all modern applications there is no difference between chat and forum.

In fact, they are the same. Chat is a topic of general conversation from the forum. Nothing more.

But the chat application in the game is very convenient for discussion.

Therefore, I suggest that the chat application in the game be used for easy communication on selected topics from the forum.

Each player can select up to 10 topics from the forum and add them to the chat application.

When adding a topic to the chat application, an icon is also selected (there is a set of possible icons).

Advantages:

- all information is in one place (in the forum)

- no duplication of information (no divergent information)

- all important topics are in a convenient place for communication (in the chat application)

- no lost information and missed message (all information is saved)

- clear division of topics for discussion (important topics are not mixed with silly messages and unnecessary information)

- everything is clean, easy and comfortable

Visually, the differences will be small:

1) Button to add this topic to the chat app. (+select an icon for the topic from the list)

2) Emotion icons. icons of goods etc.

1) List of selected forum topics displayed with the selected icon ("Chat" and other important forum topics)

2) Emotion icons. icons of goods etc.

• I'm very happy with discord. This chat program is specially build for gaming communities. Very stable, I use it now I think for almost two years. I experienced two short downtimes in this time.

Moderating in-game has become a very rare thing. Discord you can moderate yourself or with bots

Using a different platform as the game provides.. I do as well..

but I do know that there are a lot of players that are not willing (or allowed) to give there emails to yet another extern community.

• In all modern communication applications, chat has been replaced by a forum topic ("channel" in the application).

In fact, chat is a place for discussion without a specific topic.

If you put the title "chat" on a topic in the forum - this topic becomes a chat.

The forum is something bigger. A forum can cover many "chat" topics and many other topics.

Therefore, in all modern communication applications ("chat" applications) there are no separate places for chat. All channels are the same.

It only depends on the players in which channel they will chat.

Nowadays, the storage of textual information is not a problem.

That's why it's not a problem to keep all the conversations between the players.

Except it's not a problem. This is very useful. Sometimes you want to remember an important part of the conversation. And with modern technology, this is very easy to do.

Chat as something separate is outdated.

But the chat application is very convenient and useful.

It will be very useful if the chat application is used to communicate on important forum topics.

• Forums are just not a good use case for rail nation. The main advantage of forums is that you can create several separate discussions, and they handle large amounts of differing loads really well.

But associations forums just don't work like that. You often have just a few forum threads which are used like IRCs.

I think forums have their use cases - this forum, for example, is a good use case for a forum, but association chats are not a good use case.

So, I think it should be more like an instant messaging service: it should be an extension of the chat system which allows you to create separate channels but focuses on the fact that it's a chat system, not a pseudo forum.

• As far as I'm concerned the whole messaging system as it is right now is totally rubbish.

For a start, you cannot see half of the threads properly, they cut off at RH side.. NOT all... system messages are OK

You cannot edit any mistakes that go in

You cannot delete threads that are no longer needed

As has been said, you cannot make any a true Read Only

You cannot scroll up and down properly... it can and up anywhere

Need I go on...

Out of game apps like Discord are so much better... More versatile and much more reliable

Even people with only 720P screens are having to increase Text size in their computer settings to see all of the ingame message threads.

If I run my 1440P screen at 100% then I lose literally half of most message boxes, RH side cut off... Even with text at 140% I lose some of it.

Any larger and everything else looks FAR too large...

• (To developers)

It is pointless to rediscover hot water!

It's pointless for you to create a communication system in the game!

Everything is much easier and simpler.

All you have to do is...

find a suitable external communication module (external library) for HTML5 and implement it in the game.

btw

The forum in the game is not a real forum.

• btw

The forum in the game is not a real forum.

They're designed more like a forum than a chat system, though. If the forum just acknowledged it's actual use and designed itself with the features of the chat system, eg a combi chat, instant send when you press enter, compact names, plus the forum ability to create new channels, then they'd be much better than they are now.

So, you're right, it would (probably) be easy to implement technically, my point is that it needs to stop feeling like a forum and more like an instant messaging system.

Anything else is an extra, however read only topics would be great, for corporations/associations (Why do the names change depending on whether you're in them or not?), cities and regions.

I'd also like the ability for a deputy/CEO/president/mayor to make a "priority" message (like discord's @everyone) that appears as a red circle in your hotbar at the bottom and sends a appears as a red message in your combi chat, regardless of whether you have the channel inside your combi chat or not. To stop people from being able to abuse that, anyone can mute a particularly annoying deputy/CEO/mayor/president so that, for that one person, the priority message only appears as a normal unread message.

• I love the in game forums... one of the coolest things about the game in my opinion. Could they be improved? Sure. I do have to say they work pretty well for me as they are.

I think it's so cool when you connect to a new city and join the city forum :)

Rail Nation Digital Railway Tycoon

COM03 Smoke Chamber

• My suggestion as a regular player:

The main thing I suggest is to remove bugs and problems from the in-game messaging system!

I want a messaging system to works quickly and flawlessly!

There are additional desires that are not so important. (so far in this topic are mostly discussed additional wishes)

My suggestion as a professional:

The in-game messaging system is a broken legacy from "Flash".

Now the game works under HTML5 and this opens up incredible possibilities.

I suggest replacing the in-game messaging system with a new quality instant messaging system.

Instead of making a huge effort to create such a system.

I propose to implement in the game a modern instant messaging system operating under HTML5.

There are such external modules (external libraries) that can be easily and quickly implemented in the game.

This will make the transition quick, easy and high quality.

This will keep game developers focused on developing games. And the game will use a quality instant messaging system created by professionals who do just that.

And all the problems with the messages in the game will remain in the past (Together with "Flash")!

You may also want to consider including some other optional features.

In addition, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that chat and forum (in the game) are a kind of instant messaging with minor differences.

For this reason, in modern instant messaging applications, the two functions are combined (e.g. Discord).

I suggest you combine them in the game as well.

This will make the game

- more convenient to work (any topic from the forum can be added to the chat application and be convenient for reading and writing)

- more convenient to search (any information in the chat can be read later)

- more convenient for writing (no need to keep a copy of important messages in two places - chat and forum)

- more convenient to read (the chat will not mix discussions on different topics)

- more convenient to implement (only one communication system needs to be implemented)

- more convenient to support by the developers (only one communication system needs to be supported)

Messaging in the game should be fast, simple and convenient! As in Discord and other instant messaging applications.

And it's easy to do.

• there is no need in changing the ingame messaging/chat system, just more reliable and stable that's enough. There are worse faults which needs to be handled first. 90% of the players use an external chat for the most important strategic desicions. The outcome of these discussions are posted at the ingame messaging system.

There is hardly any moderating done ingame, people get more and more disrespectful towards each other. This has to be changed first before the communcation systems are modified. That's for me also one of the main reason to reduce the use of the ingame communcation channels to a minimum as possible.

We use our own external program and moderate it properly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

The post was edited 1 time, last by naike ().

• there is no need in changing the ingame messaging/chat system, just more reliable and stable that's enough. There are worse faults which needs to be handled first.

Exactly.

There are more important issues in the game.

This is the next and less important problem.

The quality of the game should always be your top 10 goals!

Your next goal should be the in-game messaging system!

This is a social game - with lots of communication!

A social game without good communication is nonsense!

Please pay special attention to this topic as your next goal.

• I like all of your suggestions HMR.

What I would like even more is if they actually got the chat to work on mobile. To many bugs to list, going on for years now.

How about we fix what's broken before we add more crap on top of the system that already doesn't work.

• Salix   Bruno_BF

All messaging / chat issues in the game are a bad legacy from Flash.

An entirely new instant messaging system needs to be implemented by professionals who do just that.

It is not the job of game developers to make an instant messaging system.

If they try, this is exactly the situation.

Neither the game works well nor the messages in it.

This forum is an example of this. This forum works so well because it was created by developers who do just that.

The solution is simple.

Game developers - need to focus on making games!

Forum developers - should focus on creating forums!

Instant messaging system developers - need to focus on building instant messaging systems!

• The forum works well *IF^ you access it from desktop.

If you go through your career tab in the mobile app and open the forums that way, they are super slow and super buggy. It's so painful I try to never do it that way.