Q&A session with our devs

• Dear players,

We would like to invite you to a Q&A (questions & answers) session with our Technical Director Andreas, our Frontend Developer Sergej and, as host, our Community Communications Manager Salix.

The topic of this Q&A will be:

“The technical aspects of the upcoming HTML5 update”

This means that we want to answer your technical questions about the update we’ve been working on in the last few weeks and months in order allow you to understand a bit better what it is we are doing with this update and why we do it.

When?

Thursday, the 6th of August at 18:30 UTC+2

Where?

Zoom-Link

How?

You can ask questions here in this thread and we’ll do our best to answer them in the Q&A session. If you come up with questions during the session, you can post them in the zoom chat and we’ll try to answer them either directly or after we went through the questions we collected before. So, don’t worry, you don’t need a microphone and you do not need to speak.

The session will be held in English and it will recorded to allow us to publish notes of the most important topics afterwards.

One important note: Please try to stay on topic. There is limited time for this session, so we would really like to focus on the topic at hand. If this works well, we’ll gladly have similar sessions about other topics in the future.

We know we have a lot of tech-savvy people in our community, so we are looking forward to your questions!

Kind regards,

Your Rail Nation Team.

• Q (offtopic)

1. Will there be a transcript published the next day, so people who mss the session will get the complete information too?

Q (ontopic)

1. What were the basic technical differences of the game versions you published on first try (about November 2018), second try (now running version) and the upcoming (hopefully final) version?

2. How do you handle loading problems of lists, texts, pictures, game data so players can have trust to get all strategic data they need for a fun game in time?

3. What were the main difficulties to create a news system that is able to position and scroll in a reliable way?

4. Why is sorting a problem over and over again? To sort data is one of the jobs, programmers should be able to without thinking ... and modern databases and programming tools do that almost automatically. So, why are so many lists given out in a sort order that has not been picked (latest example: summer games results)?

5. What is the reason for always changing good contrasts to something invisible for visually handicapped people? Happens not only in "inactive" data, but also on initialzing active buttons and texts. Each new change switches to contrasts that are far below W3C standards for even slightly handicapped.

6. What tools are you using and have you been using besides your knowledge of php, sql and html? Did you find some tool less useless during your tries and switched to others?

7. OK, the big priority right now is to have a good basis for html and future bugfixing and changes. However, there are old side projects, unfinished businesses, like for example the GUI, which presents a mixture of sidebars and centered windows ... do (and how do they) your technical plans involve finishing these projects? Or do you favor new stuff after having finished the acutal plans?

8. One of the main troubles I have with the game is, that it stops, when fast reaction is needed most. And refreshing/reloading needs soooo long. So, when a contest starts, and I buy a new machine first, or take one from the museum, I cannot do the schedules for the contest ... and miss the first minutes. Same, whenever the server is a bit more busy, with new news, doing the city consumption, starting a contest, running the end game ... the game stops and we see the small enging puffing, or no movement at all ... so, what are your technical planse to make the game more robust? What do you technically install to stop timieouts and try another request instead of waiting? What internal function will you install, so client and/or server will realize that the programm is in stop/endless waiting mode?

9. Number 9 is pure curiosity, unless you value this question as a chance to add some respect for the amount of work you put in. Years ago, Hayami (CM of those old days) offered a challenge to estimate the number of code lines of RN. I think they were about 400 k, but she did not tell, how they divide to html, css, javascript, php, internal database functions. compiled server apps and flash. Maybe you can tell us the actual numbers and your estimation, how they well increase or decrease till the end of this project.

Will add more Q's till session start by editing my text.

Thanks for this great idea to get us informed.

Drei Gruppen sagen immer die Wahrheit:

1. Kinder 2. Betrunkene 3. Jeder, der verdammt noch mal stinksauer ist.

The post was edited 10 times, last by Klabbauter ().

• Hello all!

My questions are:

1:The final version HTML5 of the Rail Nation games to be as good in all respects as Flash version?

2:You can finally work this out as the Enlarged display option from the Options / Display options / Enlarged display menu to operate normally, the same as the Flash version of the Rail Nation games? More specifically, if I set it, then remain set after I logout and I login again? Because now (the live and PTR servers too) this option should always be set after login the game...

3:You can use a larger font size as before (at least size 14), when the Enlarged display option is set, for better viewing of all texts?

Thanks for your answers.

I wish you success!

Respectfully,

Lacidd23 :):saint:

The post was edited 5 times, last by Lacidd23: Edit the text. ().

• Not a transcript, but minutes/notes, as mentioned in the text above.

Yes ... that was mentioned ... however, a complete transcript, available in the forum or as pdf download ... for you it would just be copy & paste .... plus:

The question "what were the important parts" could be answered by BOTH sides, you and your customers.

Imagine, you publish your notes of important parts, then your customers were able to scroll the transcript and add what was important form THEIR perception ... interaction would start. Q&A often has the touch of a one way road ... being able to listen to what your customers think to be important would give you a chance to know, if you met those things that are important for us.

It was just a thought ... somewhere to get the complete information as s document ... and let both sides think about the points of importance.

• Not a transcript, but minutes/notes, as mentioned in the text above.

with minutes there will be a selection. Points can be left out. I think we have a right to get a complete transcript. There will be people, work or are in a different timezone or other reasons, who can't be part of the Q&A. They deserve also a full transcript.

I have some questions too:

my first question will be a bit off topic too

1: Communcation, this is not transparant an to often there is no communication at all or just one group who who receives information and all others are left out. (if you don't or can't follow the German forum you miss a lot of information)

2: the new goldshop is now live for several weeks, the common feeling it's a big step back. Will this be reveiwed and changed to a more ballanced login bonus? At the moment it's more or less the daily lottery ticket and the daily login bonus have become one bonus.

3: Why is there so less attention for the mobile app? I can only speak for phone app. As long as the app is live the chats haven't functioned, if I'm correct the app was lauched in 2016. The game is communication.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ♏︎ Naike ().

• Thank you for all the questions so far and keep them coming. You can of course ask your questions during the event, but asking the questions here will give us more time to prepare (and no questions are lost in the Zoom chat).

Full transcript: For ease of read (clarity), we may need to clean the Q&A session when writing the notes. This in no way means we would skip anything related to the topic or anything important. The event is created for the players so those will be your topics our team members answer > which we will turn into notes as well from the video recording. It's all public information.

• Hi Samisu,

when i asked for a transkript, I though we would have a chat session, writing questions and reading answers. Then a full transkript would could have been created easily.

I now read, it will be a video session ... so we should be prepared to stream the video with zoom and to listen via loudspeakers or headphones.

My new - offtopic - question is: are we allowed to record the video and/or audio stream for our personal use?

Plus: do we need a microphone to add questions, or can we write them?

• All we are interested in is what real benefit these changes will have now and in the future.

We are not interested in promises and empty words.

We want to know what the real benefit will be for us.

Now and in the future!

We don't want you to promise to get better. And the game is getting worse!

We really want the game to be bug-free and exciting for everyone:love:.

We know you can do it. Please do it!

• We know you can do it. Please do it!

SO TRUE!

If you play the game and forget to think about bugs ... there are so many details and very well done functions .... so much proof that there is a real great team working.

Yes, you can do it.

Master Yoda in one scene talks in correct SPO order: "There is no try. Do or do not." He might have said: "There is no promise, do or do not!"

You can ... so, please do!

• We will make a recording just for the written notes. The team members nor other people who join the call - we do not have their permission, will not ask for a permission, and we will not be publishing any video recordings.

If someone wishes to make a recording, there are ways I'm sure. I would not record it though just out of respect towards everyone who will join the video call.

For questions, best place is to drop them here or to the Zoom chat window. Our team members will go through the chat comments and select questions from there. No need for microphones/cameras at all, and it's probably best to have those muted anyways :D

• Thanks Samisu.

Good point about recording. I would never do it, but a hint that it would touch personal / private rights makes sense.

And thanks about the chat part ... that will help many to come with their questions.

• Just to add to what Samisu said:
    If you wanna record the session, we can hardly stop you. But we definitely ask you not to. Please keep in mind that our devs did not agree to being recorded externally and that a Q&A like this is also a "first time" for them.
    If this Q&A works, I would really like to do more of these sessions in the future. But if our devs know they are recorded against their will and every word they say will be forever under a miscrope and judged in detail...this will probably be last time any dev agrees to join one of those talks. They are humans too, you know. They will be nervous, probably me too and there will be lots of "ehhms" and I certainly will talk some nonsense.

Please see this Q&A as a casual conversation, not an announcement or prepared official statements. You wouldn't record a casual conversation. So please, be respectful and do not do this, so we can do this kind of session more often.

PS: Klabbauter Thanks for the technical questions, I knew I could rely on you for that. If I may ask....will you be there at Thursday?

• If you wanna record the session, we can hardly stop you. But we definitely ask you not to. Please keep in mind that our devs did not agree to being recorded externally and that a Q&A like this is also a "first time" for them.

Definitely ... I asked because I just coached a charity that offers telephone services for older people. Sometimes they need the adress, which we recorded. The effort to add functions to prohibit recording until the correct questions were asked and confirmed and then to switch on the recording ... that was quite a big part of the app I made for them. And checked by the extermal GPDR guy too. So yes, do not record ... respect privacy of the people that do the session.

PS: Klabbauter Thanks for the technical questions, I knew I could rely on you for that. If I may ask....will you be there at Thursday?

Thanks for those nice words, Salix. It's in my calendar. And I am more than interested. I really want to listen to the good news.

• I think the first question should be; Could you list the developers credentials, accreditation and or any other merits of note? It would help to formulate follow up questions suitable to a PhD in mathematics or someone that took a class at the learning annex last night.

• Some really interesting information, and what I liked most: so much more honesty instead of promises. Thanks a lot.

I am looking forward towards the notes and more of those sessions on different themes.