City Competition

• What is the best way to play a city competition? I'm sure there has to be a strategy rather than flipping to a new RG every few seconds. I've tried splitting my trains amongst the RG's that keep rotating but then the corp falls behind.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• What is the best way to play a city competition? I'm sure there has to be a strategy rather than flipping to a new RG every few seconds. I've tried splitting my trains amongst the RG's that keep rotating but then the corp falls behind.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

the best way to play a city competition is hauling with low waittimes. There are different ways to approach.

We do it from recalculation to recalculation and two goods at the same time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

There's no generalization about it. It depends on the circumstances in the city. Especially the number of associations and waiting times are important. And whether you have more than one industry for individual goods.

Flipping to a new RG should be avoided. Wait 5 minutes how it is going to turn out after changing schedules.

A few tipps:

• If you've more than one industry for a good use the second one only during certain times during city competitions or level ups and forbid to haul from there when not planed. You'll have industries with zero waiting times for a hour from recalc to recalc If all players stick to the plan.
    • Pay attention to waiting times an recalc. If you have an industry with low or even zero waiting time don't use it for just 10 minutes. Try to use it only if you have more than half an hour till recalc. If you use such an industry don't switch to another good to early. Use the time untill recalc to make a buffer cause after recalc the waiting times will explode and the industry will be useless
    • If you've only 2 associations make a plan like Naike ♏ recommended. Use one hours to haul Good A and B and the second hour to haul good C and D
  • Thank you both for the responses. Hilti2 sounds like EG strategy and what takes place but as for the recalcs in City Competition I'm afraid I still don't understand.

• Yeah, sounds like EG strategy, but nothing forbids to use it to the city competitions when suitable. ;-)

The utilization and therefore the waiting time of an industry depends on wich amount of goods was hauled in the timeframe from second last recald to last recalc.

So lets say recalc time and city competition start time are simultaneous and you have two industries with low waiting time. You'll haul more if you haul good A for in the first hour until recalc and good B in the second hour instead of splitting your trains 50:50 for both hours.

My point was to say: Just think about it when you haul some certain good from an certain industry.

• Running a city competition (CC) and winning one are two different things, and there are quite a lot of paths you can take when making a plan, because of the multiple variables that goes into such:

1. How many associations are in the city.

2. Which associations have the most active members.

3. Which trains you have at your disposal.

4. How many tracks have your RGs.

5. What is the level of the RG sites.

I will skip the part where recalculation doesn't sync with your city competition since that affects a lot of your decisions and it usually makes things more complicated. If you understand the basics you can start making your own plan, no matter what the variables are. Also, I won't go into the details of a special strategy to run 2x2 (for one hour you haul only 2 RGs and for another hour you run the other 2 RGs), one which I'm not a fan because it requires extremely active players which are hard to find and tipically applies where there's only two big associations in town (with cross-friendly status of course).

Once you figured out how many associations do you have and which of them are the most active, you can start devising the CC plan. You need to think in two terms: offline and online power. Offline power refers to all the players that WON'T be online during the CC, whereas the other is exactly the OPPOSITE. Ideally you will play with the online power because the offline power might consist of players from different associations and you cannot switch nor assign them to other than their assigned RG since they will have high wait times because of not having majority over the sites.

So you have your online power at your disposal, ideally you'll want to focus it on 1-2 RGs, meaning that you either haul 1 RG in full-throtle, until the recalculation hits, or split your force and haul 2 RGs (if you have two strong associations and 1-2 lesser ones). Before you decide this you need to take a look at your RG sites and see if you have any of them below level 10, because if so then you might want to focus on this one for one full hour.

Having low level RG sites is a pain during the CC, because the wait time will skyrocket for half of its duration, no matter what strategy you apply. You can avoid this by NOT leveling your city 2 days before the CC occurs and I cannot stress enough how important this is. Also I won't go into special scenarios where you'd actually want this, since you'll figure it out once you master the CCs anyway.

Unfortunately, in most cases the recalculation won't sync up with CC and we cannot dive into all the scenarios. Know that I always prefer to have contingency, thus I like to start with the RG that has the lowest level site. By doing so I have the opportunity of returning to this site if need be, once two recalculations hit and the wait time decreases significantly. In other instances you'll want to reserve one full hour to haul that respective RG but this is up to you and how many online players you think you will have.

When running a competition you should always have in mind that once the CC ends all your 4 RGs should be as close as to each other in terms of tons delivered, that is efficiency and it can be achieved only through balancing. The CC is won by the city who has delivered most tons of its least delivered RG, and you should read that slowly and carefully until you fully understood it. It doesn't matter how many tons you delivered for your top 3 RGs if your 4th is below the opposition in terms of delivered tons.

As such try to anticipate how many tons you will deliver with your online power when hauling one RG, by getting a sense of how many tons you delivered in say 10-15 minutes and try to figure out how many will you deliver in one hour. If you feel you'll haul way too much of one RG, then start re-allocating players to other RGs as well, this is what balancing is. Also, when doing so take into consideration that the trend won't handbrake there since there are offline players as well as players who aren't that responsive to calls that will continue to haul, so whenever you want to make a change, make it 5-10 minutes earlier.

Last but not least, you should mainly direct haul (no integration) during the CC, unless there's a small timeframe of under 15 minutes between the CC starts and the first recalculation hits. As for your offline haulers, they should be instructed to haul ONLY their assigned RG and ONLY one-step integration, two ways where possible (ex: say you have Shoes, your offline haulers should haul Leather to Shoes to City AND Hardware to Shoes to City, in one schedule). Once you have this, don't forget about the association friendly statuses, they should be changed accordingly for the CC.

Hope this covers the logic behind running, and hopefully, winning a CC. If you get the handle of these things you'll manage whatever is thrown at you. I won CCs where we leveled the city 15 minutes before it started, I won CCs with less than 500t difference and in general I won CCs against more active players mainly because planning is key :)

Cheers!

The post was edited 1 time, last by /Mihai ().