Plea to include an "unsportsmanlike behavior" in the Game Rules

• The problem here Mihai is that there is no rule against breaking majorities - it is a deliberate feature of the game. Players can compete in an arguably aggressive manner by taking majorities & investing for prestige benefits and this is an accepted behaviour within the game rules. Likewise as I said the EG all haul together approach is the correct approach by those that understand the game but not following the calls is not illegal. Penalties can only be applied by the game management for infringements of the game rules. So, I agree with your comment that the bad ones stay bad most of the time but there is no recourse to punishments unless they cross the line of the rules.

Get out of bed - celebrate waking, go to bed - survived another day:thumbsup:

• The problem here Mihai is that there is no rule against breaking majorities - it is a deliberate feature of the game. Players can compete in an arguably aggressive manner by taking majorities & investing for prestige benefits and this is an accepted behaviour within the game rules. Likewise as I said the EG all haul together approach is the correct approach by those that understand the game but not following the calls is not illegal. Penalties can only be applied by the game management for infringements of the game rules. So, I agree with your comment that the bad ones stay bad most of the time but there is no recourse to punishments unless they cross the line of the rules.

My post wasn't about how these players are breaking the rules, because they aren't. My post was about creating such a rule that some players often break.

• Some people derive perverse pleasure from sabotaging cities. The problem though is where to draw the line. It is perfectly fair for opposing factions to take control of cities during the rounds in the USA scenario but is it acceptable to destroy waiting times of the opposition faction's EG cities so that a city from their own faction can win? All it takes is members of one association to maximize prestige and money runs rather than building up cities.

• I think the comment that raised the concept of gamesmanship & sportsmanship as different concepts is the critical one & I agree with the post that suggested that the risk of mutual destruction is what stops it happening - the principle I believe which stopped nuclear war during the escalation of nuclear arms.

In practice it is the individuals on the whole who cause the problems but a really strong EG city can usually haul through these barring the one or two most difficult RGs.

It is tricky to legislate for these actions though as there is nothing in the games rules, to my knowledge, that says you have to haul the called RG in the EG scenario. Those that ignore the calls are usually ignorant of the damage they are doing or they have a grudge to take out on the city concerned.

I personally fail to see how the concept of "unsportsmanlike behaviour" can ever be applied in the game.

In practice though, those that behave in a destructive manner at any point will tend to be shunned & eventually forced out of a server, or they leave once they feel they have made their point. It sadly seems a facet of human nature that we have to put up with.

Your last point is spot on. To add to it, no matter what rules are put in place, people will find ways around the rules. Human nature is... human nature.

• Hey webwigble, not sure if you were asking me but since the post came after mine I will assume that to be the case.

The player in question was playing our endgame city. However, he didn't like Russians that much and when the Russians who were calling required goods made calls he didn't agree with he would throw a fit. This was a very seasoned player, and someone whom I believe does EG calling himself on other servers. So when things didn't go his way he decided to ruin it for everyone and effectively decided to cut off his nose to spite his own face because has he posted in city chat, he was not going to let the Russian win End Game. Interestingly enough, we have reports that in the finals he plans to do the same thing again.

• Thank you for the excellent input, nicely written and true to its nature.

Despite the fact that it should be the Rail Nation staff to struggle with this, and not us (the players), I think that they should track a player's missbehavior throughout the round and judge based on that. If, let's say, the player has at least 2-3 reports stating that he either broke majority or ruined the GH or otherwise did something aggressive towards a city or a team, having a similar behavior during the EG surely can be placed under "unsportsmanlike behavior".

The bad players usually are bad in general and it shows throughout a 3 months period.

Didn't we see that RN posted and said the number of reports against an individual do not play into their judgment and that breaking a majority is not unsportsmanlike conduct?