The Game Rules have been updated

• Dear players,

We updated our game rules and ask you to read the game rules HERE

Short summary of the changes:

• Some corrections concerning grammar and spelling.
    • Some redundant repetitions have been summarized in singular bullet points.
    • Some text changes to be clearer about bans being a possible penalty.
    • Included a clarification concerning harmful behaviour in general.
    • Added a "Fair Play" section that now summarizes behaviour rules that were previously part of several other sections.
    • Following your feedback, we removed a part of the rules that incorrectly implied that team play ("playing for the benefit of others") is not allowed. The rules concerning multi-accounting are clearer now.

Please let us know if you have any questions about the updated rules.

Your Rail Nation Team

2.1. The use of a different language, other than the relevant and pre-defined server language or English in IGMs (in-game messages), chat messages, world chat and player profiles, is not permitted. The server language is determined by the country flags on the server selection screen. Multiple languages may be permitted as server languages; they are always directly displayed for each game world in a clear manner.

I am Bulgarian. And I often communicate in Bulgarian in personal communications with other Bulgarians.

I do not understand why this should deserve punishment.

In addition, sometimes Bulgarians build Bulgarian teams and communicate in Bulgarian.

This must be allowed.

• I am Bulgarian. And I often communicate in Bulgarian in personal communications with other Bulgarians.

I do not understand why this should deserve punishment.

In addition, sometimes Bulgarians build Bulgarian teams and communicate in Bulgarian.

This must be allowed.

It is still fine to have discussions on your own language if it's between you and your friend(s). That is in no way against the rules if you all share the same language and understand each other.

This rule is here only to ensure players will not be using different languages on public messages, chats, forums than what the server language is. Everyone should feel included in those public discussion channels - with the pre-defined server language.

• It is still fine to have discussions on your own language if it's between you and your friend(s). That is in no way against the rules if you all share the same language and understand each other.

This rule is here only to ensure players will not be using different languages on public messages, chats, forums than what the server language is. Everyone should feel included in those public discussion channels - with the pre-defined server language.

What you say sounds good.

But I don't see the word "public" in the rules.

According to the rules, all messages in another language are prohibited.

Public and private.

• It is still fine to have discussions on your own language if it's between you and your friend(s). That is in no way against the rules if you all share the same language and understand each other.

No I don't agree with that, servers have pre defined languages. The language servers have their own language and english. COM servers are English. That should always be respected. It's very annoying when people start talking in other languages at your language server. It's disrespectfull.

If you want to speak in your own language do it in personal messages and not at public or asso forums. If you don't read or speak the allowed server language(s) don't start playing at those servers.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

• What you say sounds good.

But I don't see the word "public" in the rules.

According to the rules, all messages in another language are prohibited.

Public and private.

Yup, I forwarded your feedback that the wording can be misunderstood to cover all messages - private and public.

In practice, no one would report their friends if they send private messages with a shared language like Bulgarian. Nor would anyone report their own association if everyone there speaks Bulgarian out of mutual decision. That doesn't discriminate against anyone and we completely support it.

As Naike mentioned, when someone starts to use different languages others don't understand - it becomes disrespectful and unfair. That is something players can report to the game support so we can help stop it. Let's keep the game fair for everyone, and making sure everyone understands the public discussions is just that - fair.

• You know, a very simple compromise is to simply have another thread for whatever language is being spoken. As an English only speaker I personally don't mind the occasional use of a different language when going through city chat. It is an international server after all. However, every city has the ability to add new threads to their chat and you could easily have 10-20 different language threads going on.

• You know, a very simple compromise is to simply have another thread for whatever language is being spoken. As an English only speaker I personally don't mind the occasional use of a different language when going through city chat. It is an international server after all. However, every city has the ability to add new threads to their chat and you could easily have 10-20 different language threads going on.

All public discussions need to be understandable to all who see them (on the server language).

If people start publish racist, insulting or threatening content and do this with tens of different languages on all servers, it's not possible for us to keep up with it all, moderate it all and translate it. In the end, we are just as responsible for the content as the players are.

Players shouldn't either be pushed to translate comments of others if they joined a server where their preferred language is set as the server language. English speakers have the right to be included in all public discussions on com and us servers. And the same goes for other servers with their pre-defined languages.

• I just read that paragraph and I have to say it's extremely subjective and can be easily abused, by the support staff, or exploited, by players. I hope both these conditions never met, otherwise we'll turn this game into communism where everybody needs to get in line or get the boot.

To give you an example, some people are very good at making a strong case, myself included, and can easily co-opt other players for the cause. I am very sensitive about this topic since my team is going through something similar, but I will instead give a past example of an issue my team had.

Three rounds ago we partnered up with the second best team on the server and decided to level 3 cities up until the end game. Things started well but at some point a large number of players from the other team started going for prestige, helping less with leveling the cities and, more importantly, starting to heavily invest in our RG sites for prestige reasons.

Now, us being the top tear team didn't had issues keeping the majority since all our RG sites had over 10 million in investments, all the time. But what if I would have decided to write a really nice support ticket, at which I am very good at, saying how their behaviour heavily impacts our gameplay and that of our non-plus account players, and that their behaviour is repetitive and aggressive and that they don't react to reason or respond to communication.

What if I decided to ask my entire team to open a support ticket and do the same. Sure, not all players would have done this, but what if at least half of my team did. So you have almost 15 support tickets reporting this issue with nicely detailed investments, conversations, screenshots and overall a victimized perspective.

I don't think the support team could have overlooked this case and easily throw it in the closet.

And if you ask yourself what was our approach? I can tell you that we've decided not to play with that team again, unless its core principles dramatically change, and that we've continued the round up until the EG, which we've won. But that's because my team consists of very mature and experienced players who don't take this game too much serious and play to its best, round after round. It's normal to have good games and bad games.

Please try to at least have an internal discussion on this matter since this opens up a way to spiteful reporting and believe me, there's a lot of spite in this game.

Cheers,

Mihai

• We do not punish players when they get reported, we punish them if they are guilty.
    This new rules changes nothing about that.
    So no need to worry about people mass reporting you, that changes nothing, regardless of this rule.

• It's good to keep in mind that reporting a player or an association to support for something a player feels is unfair, no matter how well the report is written, does not mean this would change the general game rules.

There needs to be clear proof of someone (continuously) trolling and hurting the game experience of others on purpose, without any interest in the gameplay itself.

Even if someone behaves in a way another player doesn't understand or agree on, this does not mean the player is in any way breaking the rules. They may have their own goals that benefit them along the way.

So no, support will not be quote: 'abusing' anything and will not act on players trying to quote: 'exploit' the reporting system. The rule change is not here to limit the different playing styles, but it does give us tools to act if someone is not here to play the game - but instead plans to troll and cause nothing but harm on purpose.

Please do not report players to game support without a good and valid reason.

• Out of experience I can say that both your comments Salix and Samisu, are just simply not true and I completely carry the exact same concerns as Mihai and support his comments 100%.

Please consider our 1st experience with how these rules were interpreted and 'enforced' by our Community Manager:

( comment edited by CM, please let's not discuss punishment decisions or ban decisions on a public forum: Bans and similar account related decisions to be kept out from forum DM sent)

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

Edited once, last by Dutcher ().

• Please think about the new rules and how they are being enforced and what effect this will have on the gaming experience of ALL players and more specifically the prestige hunters, which is I think the original intent of the entire game to gain prestige, no? The City races and City leveling if I am not mistaken are completely artificial goals that were added on later by players and then only after that the 'End Game' elements were developed, or am I wrong about this? The game originally was developed with only Individual and Corp Prestige rankings to determine the 'winners' of a round, and yet, the prestige hunters are now being made impossible to freely hunt for their goals.

I therefore humbly suggest that the new rules are really a negative development and will cause more damage and a larger 'negative' influence than a 'positive' influence on all players' actual gaming experience and gaming pleasure!

PS, I am only sharing my experience with the new rules and my opinion of the effects of said rules have had on my actual gaming experience, which has been a complete and utter destruction of my positive gaming pleasure. (edited by CM) Nor is this post meant to point out any actions taken by any specific CM, nor should it be deemed an attack on any specific CM.

I rather do intend to use this example to point out the major flaws in the new rules and the impossible road you are asking us, the players, to follow.

I merely question whether or not other players will also encounter such negative experience from the new rules and/or from how they wil be enforced and I strongly question the existence of a fair competition on any server after the implementation of these new rules. Lastly I question RN's ability and the ability of any RN support crew to really objectively examine any and all industry investments or complaints about any investments and then be able to to determine whether each and every click of the investment button was done for gain of prestige or other gaming benefit or whether it was done for 'ill intent to damage the gaming experience of another player'.

(comment edited by CM, please let's not use forum to discuss punishment decisions or bans)

We all want to and we try to enjoy this game in our own way, we are all adults and not small children and I take extreme personal offense to the way we have been treated by Dutch support in their overzealous way of interpreting and enforcing these new rules. I hereby caution all my colleague players to be very careful and to think 3x about your actions before logging in next time. This makes me very sad to have to do this and I look forward with great fear that this game is now being damaged beyond repair. I therefore also ask all support crew, CM's and developers to really think these latest rules through a bit more, and preferably from the players' perspective.

You have developed a great game. Now please let us just play it!

Edited 2 times, last by Dutcher ().

• (edited by CM)

I think this adjustment of the rules is a huge improvement and if they had not come, I - and probably many others with me - would have turned my back on RN. Bravo RN and don't let yourself be influenced by a few people who mainly talk about sportsmanship and fun, but do something else in the meantime.

• I think this adjustment of the rules is a huge improvement and if they had not come, I - and probably many others with me - would have turned my back on RN. Bravo RN and don't let yourself be influenced by a few people who mainly talk about sportsmanship and fun, but do something else in the meantime.

It's amazing how you talk about a thing that is upsetting to some (i.e. investing in other association's RG which, I repeat, for me doesn't pose an issue) while you are doing this repeatedly, also hauling other association's RG which, again, I don't really mind. I have screenshots if you dare question me, so bare that in mind, dear Frankie.

It would be nice for people to express their opinion without tantalizing others, like you just did. It would also be fair for people to not condemn a behavior when in fact they're doing it too, otherwise it's called... ? I let you finish that sentence.

I for one am not against investing or hauling other association's RG. I am only against BREAKING/TAKING other association's RG and RUINING an EG site. I have been nothing but consistent in all my statements.

I'd much rather play with a player who is honest and consistent, but individualistic
    (edited by cm)

• Your comments only prove to me that these vague new rules are ruining the game already and that prestige hunters can no longer play their game style without attracting massive complaints and therefore punishments.

This... is my main concern about the new rules and how they are applied and enforced.

(edited by CM)