Platform X – Share your ideas!

• I can only report what I am hearing Mihai. People are struggling and some are giving up. Just because determined people can do it does not mean it is not a problem. Certainly, some find the challenge interesting, but, too many good players, imo, do not and that is the problem. I agree it needs to be higher than on a classic server, but, there is a fine margin and I believe that at the moment the level is a little too exacting. It is a question of balance, not of either or.

If a player gives up then we should listen to the reason that they give for doing so, surely?

And, Yes, we are on the same server. :)

In this world there is nothing softer or thinner than Water.

But to compel the Hard and Unyielding it has no equal.

(Lao-Tse)

• I can only report what I am hearing Mihai. People are struggling and some are giving up. Just because determined people can do it does not mean it is not a problem. Certainly, some find the challenge interesting, but, too many good players, imo, do not and that is the problem. I agree it needs to be higher than on a classic server, but, there is a fine margin and I believe that at the moment the level is a little too exacting. It is a question of balance, not of either or.

If a player gives up then we should listen to the reason that they give for doing so, surely?

And, Yes, we are on the same server. :)

Absolutely. But what exactly are they struggling about?

- they need to be more present in the game to achieve something?

- they aren't making enough money to keep up with fast pace of the game (buying railcars, laying tracks, upgrading station, donating to HQ)?

- city levelings take too much time?

- coordination seems harder now that fine tunning a city became more important?

- city callers are having a tough time?

All of the above? ;(

• It seems you too have heard what I am hearing as you have listed them all and a couple I have not heard yet.

This game, is as I believe most appreciate, experimental. Feedback is therefore essential and it is not unreasonable to do some fine tuning. It would be a big mistake at this point to simply dismiss the complaint that the consumption rate is set too high. Something needs to be adjusted and it may not have to be consumption.

I also get the impression, but RN themselves would be the only ones to know, that people who would normally buy a small amount of gold for each round are perhaps buying less or none as they do not know what to expect. This is, if I am correct, probably exacerbating the issue.

It will be very interesting to see what percentage of players who played this round return for the next round. Will we be able to pre-register?

(Lao-Tse)

• I also get the impression, but RN themselves would be the only ones to know, that people who would normally buy a small amount of gold for each round are perhaps buying less or none as they do not know what to expect. This is, if I am correct, probably exacerbating the issue.

Actually, not necessarily. Financial success isn't a very reliable indicator for how much fun people are having. Those two things are not as heavily related as one might intuitively think. Not because they are not connected, but because dozens of other factors overshadow this one.

A bit more reliable metric is retention, i.e. the percentage of players that stay over time. In that aspect, Platform X is looking fine right now, but it's a bit to early to tell. It gets really interesting when we can see the development for the entire duration of the gameworld. And, as you already mentioned yourself, the percentage of players who decide to play a second round is quite interesting too.
    And yes, preregistration should be activated.

• Actually, not necessarily. Financial success isn't a very reliable indicator for how much fun people are having. Those two things are not as heavily related as one might intuitively think. Not because they are not connected, but because dozens of other factors overshadow this one.

A bit more reliable metric is retention, i.e. the percentage of players that stay over time. In that aspect, Platform X is looking fine right now, but it's a bit to early to tell. It gets really interesting when we can see the development for the entire duration of the gameworld. And, as you already mentioned yourself, the percentage of players who decide to play a second round is quite interesting too.

When I start a round I play it out so retention is not always the best measure, although it can be a good one. It is that follow on statement that will apply to me. Unless I hear there is some special reward for playing the second round, I will simply quit after the first round. It isn't that this particular game is hard with high consumption. Heck with a two a day log on somehow I am in the top 100, wasn't even a goal of mine and our corporation just broke into the top ten as well. The problem is that the game is boring. There is nothing more that can be said about it. Seeing if any bubbles form in the paint when it dries on the wall is more entertaining!

• Actually, not necessarily. Financial success isn't a very reliable indicator for how much fun people are having. Those two things are not as heavily related as one might intuitively think. Not because they are not connected, but because dozens of other factors overshadow this one.

My apologies, I think you have misunderstood what I was saying.

The reference to the gold purchase was not a reference to commercial success or otherwise, it was to the value, in game progression, of having or not having a plus account. The standard game is much easier for those who have a plus account (a commercial decision, of course, but in this instance we were talking of the problems people may be having with the logistics.) If you play a standard game without a plus account then progress is impeded in several ways and this impediment may possibly be a reason for some finding the game difficult IF I am right in thinking that some may not have bought gold when in standard games they would. (It is also possible that some have bought gold when in standard games they would not.) This could possibly be a significant factor in why some people are or are not enjoying this version. It is, I believe, a point worth pursuing.

(Lao-Tse)

• When I start a round I play it out so retention is not always the best measure, although it can be a good one. It is that follow on statement that will apply to me. Unless I hear there is some special reward for playing the second round, I will simply quit after the first round. It isn't that this particular game is hard with high consumption. Heck with a two a day log on somehow I am in the top 100, wasn't even a goal of mine and our corporation just broke into the top ten as well. The problem is that the game is boring. There is nothing more that can be said about it. Seeing if any bubbles form in the paint when it dries on the wall is more entertaining!

Totally agree except for the bit that watching paint dry is more fun :)

Patience is a virtue which is a work in progress.;)

• Bruno_BF

Project X should stimulate city workers. Those who help the growth of the city!

And it really is!

But I see that it encourages players who "sleep" on a good.

I imagine an active and dynamic game where the activity and help for building cities (and not only in your city) is rewarded.

For better realization of the set goals I offer:

Greater reward for those who help the growth of the city!

As every hour, each player loses part of the delivered goods in the city (for example -35%)

Thus, there will be a reward (prestige) for those who help the growth of their own and neighboring cities.

• So the good news is that Platform X is the ultimate prestige hunter's paradise. I would come back for a second round to try this out but am still overcommitted in too many other rounds as it is. So here is the deal folks, and I say this purely to point out to city builders they still have not won. All you have to do is direct haul a required good for prestige points, you don't need the top spot. Same as before. Connect to a bunch of cities, direct haul the required good and you still rack up prestige points. Then, make sure you do cash runs or for the pax guys just run that. Then wait till a factory is about to level up and out invest everyone. Oh, and if you are a casher with a large enough credit card, Platform X is the easiest version to purchase a win with!

• I think you misunderstand what I am saying. This is my personal opinion about possible tactics. I am very well aware that I'm not the most experienced player and it is not relevant for this discussion if I work for Travian or not. Being an expert player is not my job.
    What I wrote is my personal opinion as a pretty casual player, nothing else. So yeah, I might be wrong. But I am asking myself: Ok, so it's difficult to level cities right now. Fine, that's true. And now, so what? I mean, it's difficult for everyone, so it's not like it's unbalanced or unfair or problematic in any way. Sure, it's different, but that's the point of Platform X. Who said it would be easy to level cities? And who said it has to be easy?
    Again, that's my personal opinion as a player and my personal experience while playing Platform X right now. You might disagree with me and that is completely fine. If you think I am wrong, you are very welcome to explain why or why you disagree.

Why point out what you disagree with and then show how a different point of view has a stronger case when you can just rant against "the man"?

• Bruno_BF would you like to add two more useful filters?

• List of Active Players (Must To Have)

The number of Active Players has become the most important factor in the game.

I can't cover all the benefits of this list. But this will be one of the most important lists.

Among all other benefits such as player selection, etc.

This list will show objectivity when counting the number of active players.

And a bug can be reported if there is a discrepancy.

For example. In the tests I did yesterday, I had some very dubious results.

Unless you're saying Rail Nation is a bug-free game. It is very important to have this list to monitor the accuracy of this very important indicator.

And this will avoid many unnecessary disputes.

It will bring the necessary clarity and transparency.

Along with many other benefits.

List of Home city Players (Nice To Have)

Choosing a hometown often (but not always) shows how important that city is to a particular player.

During the game and especially when the final is approaching.

This indicator can be used when choosing players for a team, when choosing a city for the final and many others ...

Most active players will benefit greatly from these indicators.

That's why it's important that they become part of the game.

• Platform X scenario solved one BIG problem that was: opportunistic investors in ALL factories in last minutes before factory grows and majority breaking only for "stealing" some prestige points and in that way to compromise or even ruin the effort and the time invested by many players from the "working" associations. As I can see this habit of a player to break majorities in factories that he don't use disappeared. So that I saw no more majority fights in the game. Very good.

• Platform X scenario solved one BIG problem that was: opportunistic investors in ALL factories in last minutes before factory grows and majority breaking only for "stealing" some prestige points and in that way to compromise or even ruin the effort and the time invested by many players from the "working" associations. As I can see this habit of a player to break majorities in factories that he don't use disappeared. So that I saw no more majority fights in the game. Very good.

than you are lucky, most prestige hunters still invest in the last minute and haul direct.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

• For me, the load recalc mechanism has to be changed in several ways.

1) active players: only those with city set as home city count.

2) last hour as base is not ok. last day will be a more realistic view on who IS actually an active player for that city. Now it is so simply faked.... and it causes people to leave the game... Not the result RN was aiming for i think.

anyway, taking last hour is a pretty big disaster. Don't know if last day would be perfect, but it would be a LOT better and as said: it would give the number of real active players.

3) for 2) being able to give a good result, the amount to haul and the consumption need to be rebalanced too. When the trick for lowering the active members will be impossible with the 1 day consideration time, the amounts to haul and comsumption should also be tuned to be realistic.

THis rebalancing should be easy done by developteam by similating the values with the recorded amounts hauled now and the real amount active haulers during 11/12th of each set.

Till then, a lot of very experienced players will not reparticipate on platform x if i see the results in forums i check...

• 1) active players: only those with city set as home city count.

Unfortunately, this is a very bad strategy for counting active players.

Most players will not be registered in the city. As a hometown.
    They will play from a neighboring city.
    They will lose 5000 points but will win the game.
    We discussed these possibilities with Bruno.

Career points for a winning city only matter as long as you win in 30 cities. Then it doesn't matter if your hometown wins.

This way of counting gives great opportunities for lying.

In a city with 50 people will play 700!?!?!?! Therefore, it is not a solution.

2) last hour as base is not ok. last day will be a more realistic view on who IS actually an active player for that city. Now it is so simply faked.... and it causes people to leave the game... Not the result RN was aiming for i think.

anyway, taking last hour is a pretty big disaster. Don't know if last day would be perfect, but it would be a LOT better and as said: it would give the number of real active players.

This method really has its drawbacks. But other methods also have.

If active players are those of the last 24 hours.

Attacks on other cities will become very easy.

If 100-200 people from other cities deliver good once a day.

This will increase a lot of weight in the city for a whole day !!!

And again there will be dissatisfied.

Players will say. We have a maximum of 300 active players and 500-600 are displayed! Why so? This is not fair!

The shorter the period. The more objective is the reporting of the real active players. But this also has its drawbacks :)

The solution is much more difficult .... Unfortunately

I personally prefer each player to choose which city to play for. And not be able to play in other cities.

But then there is a difficulty with the free players ...

Rail Nation - Endgame - Next Level!!!