When did you last get a response from anyone in the mentoring programme?

• Well I just got asked about being part of the mentoring programme and I'm writing to you to provide some feedback that it was a total and utter waste of my time last round so I'm not doing it this round.

I sent a nice friendly note along the lines of:

"Hello X

Welcome to Rail Nation, it's a good game and I hope you enjoy it.

If you have any questions about the game, please ask and I'll do my best to help.

Best wishes

Toots"

I DID NOT GET ONE SINGLE REPLY IN THE PAST COUPLE OF ROUNDS

Some people just deleted me as mentor right away.

I can't see the point of doing it again in its present format anyways.

One Lottery ticket is not enough of a reward anyways and to be honest it's several rounds since I saw one of those - from a player who asked LOADS of questions!!!

Some thoughts on how to get people to engage more and open dialog with their mentors:

• Make it so the people who sign up for mentors have to at least engage with them. Bribe them or whatever, but it's not right that mentors don't even get a reply to a friendly greeting.
    • Increase the rewards according to the number of questions asked and answered. Figure out a way that the both sides have to mark the other's mail as worthy of a reward (or not - so it doesn't get abused by stupid time wasting messages (on either side)).

Food for thought, I don't plan to be a mentor again until something changes. I may as well send them a regular mail in my role as Mayor/President...

• I think we can all agree that the mentor function in the game isn't really working well. This is frequently discussed on the forum and we also discussed it internally quite a few times. There are a few fundamental problems with it:

• It's not satisfying to mentors, because most newbies never reply. That is hard to prevent, since there's a lot of players who simply try out the game for a few minutes. Especially on mobile this is the "normal" way to discover games and the reason why there are a lot of newbies who don't stay for long and therefore never reply.
    • It's often not beneficial for newbies, because just because someone is an experienced player, this does not at all mean he is also a good teacher
    • Working with additional rewards is dangerous because of potential abuse
    • Connecting a new player to one other player is probably not the best thing we can do to include him in the community. It makes more sense to connect him with multiple players (i.e. associations).

All this indicates that the mentor function is not really working and, looking at other games, it seems like it's not really working anywhere, so there might be some general problems with the entire idea.
    So why not just get rid of it?
    Well, we could do that and maybe will at some point. What stops us is the fact that, despite all the flaws, the mentor program does sometimes have a positive outcome. When it works out and the mentor can actually help the newbie, that is a really great experience for both sides. We wouldn't like to lose that. But still, there are maybe better ways to do this, beyond the mentor function.

• Salix

This training should be done in a natural way.

If you put all the new players in a team with active and skilled players.

Interested novices will easily find mentors.

• Well, we could do that and maybe will at some point. What stops us is the fact that, despite all the flaws, the mentor program does sometimes have a positive outcome. When it works out and the mentor can actually help the newbie, that is a really great experience for both sides. We wouldn't like to lose that. But still, there are maybe better ways to do this, beyond the mentor function.

The mentoring program is also not working when I get a new player assigned who is at the other side of the map, it would have maybe a better chance in succeeding when a newbie gets assigned to a player in the same city or neighbour city.

I have said this more often, give new players a chance to start in a bigger city with the 100 gold bonus instead of attracting then into a ghost city.

My experience with new players is they are faster a part of the community when they arrive in the community and not beside it.

Than I have my second point and that's the newbie slot. It's abbused now because a newbie can stay in that slot as long as he or she stays in the same asso and isnt promoted to member by the chair. I now see often players with 2 or even 3 stars many game rounds played still at that newbie slot. So this is passing it's goal also. Promote newbies automicaly after reaching a fixed amount of game rounds and the second prefix is with earning the second star.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• I have said this more often, give new players a chance to start in a bigger city with the 100 gold bonus instead of attracting then into a ghost city.

That is a separate problem, but yes, I agree. Although I think that most newbies don't really care about it, for those who do it probably sucks.
    We already have it on our list to have a look at that and how we can solve this without it leading to overcrowding.

• We already have it on our list to have a look at that and how we can solve this without it leading to overcrowding.

there is also a possiblity to change the free choice of city for a newbie and assign them automaticly to a more crowded e.g. top 10 city

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• there is also a possiblity to change the free choice of city for a newbie and assign them automaticly to a more crowded e.g. top 10 city

It may be a greater horror for a novice to find himself in a crowded city than in a ghost.