Why not simply remove the prestige gained from hauling to non-home megacities?

• There is a lot of fuss going on, following the recent modifications to the game rules where arguably any behavior can be made so it looks like bad behavior. I won't go into opening this subject again, I'll just say that the 3.5 paragraph is removing the "free haul" aspect of the game and that it should be AT LEAST revised, if not removed entirely, and be replaced with SPECIFIC cases (as it is with every other reputable online game).

Regardless, this change has once again sparked the feud between city haulers (or should I say obsessive city haulers) and free haulers (or should I say prestige hunters). Again, I won't go into debating as to why I said obsessive or what separates the free haulers from the prestige hunters, that's not the point I am trying to make.

For 6 (six) complete eras players can opt to level a city, free haul or rack up prestige prestige points. Racking up prestige comes from (in order): transports, investments, competitions. Very experienced players can rack up even 1 million prestige points before the end game commences, so it's safe to assume that most prestige points come from playing the first 6 eras.

Now, during the end game players can add an additional 100 - 250k prestige points, depending on how well they play. Deciding on which city to set as the home city involves how a player appreciates its chances of winning the EG. Apart the megacities that have separate starting times, aforementioned player will in most cases have the Olympus trains in his home city and the bonus trains biting prestige from other mega cities.

So, in order to remove those small bites or to discourage free haulers to haul in other mega cities, thus removing the possibility for end game factories to be ruined by external players, therefore adding more fairness to the game, and ultimately relaxing the rift between city haulers and free haulers, why not simply remove the prestige points generated from players hauling to non-home megacities?

It will fix so many issues while only impacting a small percentage of players, and even then the impact is rather small, maybe a 5% decrease in prestige points overall?

Are there any reasons for such a change to NOT be implemented? I honestly see none, and that's coming from a player that tried to go for 1 spot in individual rankings.

• The opportunity to play finals in different cities.

This is an important strategic feature in this strategy game.

Sometimes a team has to change the city in which it plays to maintain a good position in the rankings.

In addition, there are free teams / players whose strategy is to play in several cities at the same time.

• The opportunity to play finals in different cities.

This is an important strategic feature in this strategy game.

Sometimes a team has to change the city in which it plays to maintain a good position in the rankings.

In addition, there are free teams / players whose strategy is to play in several cities at the same time.

Correct, I have personally experienced cases where teams have opted to switch to other cities during the end-game. This is something that shouldn't come at no cost, because:

1. Let's say the team has participated in the city level-up process, in which case they need to go all in with the city, unless they make up their mind somewhere in era 5-6.

2. Let's say the team hasn't participated in the city level-up process, in which case they made a gamble and they should stick to it, since it connecting to the city has already raised the city consumption.

As for players who's strategy is to haul to different cities, like I said, the loss is around 5% in overall prestige. If, and this is important to understand, their strategy for pulling ahead in rankings is to do small bites in other megacities, I would have to say that this is a disruptive game play that should be sanctioned, unless they follow the calls in that megacity and haul ONLY the called good, with their bonus trains.

To put it in a different perspective, from a team's standpoint, if you pick a city to level-up you are most likely invested in it, like other teams as well, therefore it wouldn't be fair for those teams for another one to simply abandon the collaboration DURING the end game.

Much like the teams who free haul and pick a city for the end game. Let's say the end game begins and something goes wrong. The honorable way is to simply walk away?

L.E. I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed, I'm only saying it shouldn't come at no cost. If a team decides to switch the megacity during the end game, they should be able to do so, but no prestige should be gained by hauling to a non-home megacity or from winning with another one (as it currently is the case).

The post was edited 1 time, last by /Mihai ().

• I had a conversation with the developers.

And what I do know is that they don't want to limit free play styles. I assure you of that!

In order for a proposal to be approved, it must include free play styles.

So some time ago I made a proposal similar to yours.

In which free play styles are included.

Rail Nation - Endgame - Next Level!!!

• Your proposal, while it has a non-interfering aspect, is very different from what I've proposed, and involves a radical change for the end-game. Nonetheless, I'm not proposing a restriction, players (and teams alike) will still be able to haul for different cities, it just won't reward them prestige for hauling to a non-home megacity, that's all.

• This is a small proposal that makes free game styles meaningless in the final. Therefore, they will not accept it.

• As for players who's strategy is to haul to different cities, like I said, the loss is around 5% in overall prestige. If, and this is important to understand, their strategy for pulling ahead in rankings is to do small bites in other megacities, I would have to say that this is a disruptive game play that should be sanctioned, unless they follow the calls in that megacity and haul ONLY the called good, with their bonus trains.

If as I did recently on one server, I have worked with the teams in a city to build it up ... a city that as the game develops is clearly neutral i.e. totally outside the hauling zone of any of the megacities ... why is it disruptive for me as a lone player to use that city to haul to all the megacities and gain prestige that way? Sure I have taken the decision not to take part in the megacity race but I would say that my hauling is pretty neutral to that race.

• If as I did recently on one server, I have worked with the teams in a city to build it up ... a city that as the game develops is clearly neutral i.e. totally outside the hauling zone of any of the megacities ... why is it disruptive for me as a lone player to use that city to haul to all the megacities and gain prestige that way? Sure I have taken the decision not to take part in the megacity race but I would say that my hauling is pretty neutral to that race.

I don't think I understand what you mean. So you leveled a city, which hasn't become a megacity, but want to use its industries to haul to a megacity? Or you want to haul to that city, even if it's not a megacity?

• What MGC49 saying is the good example of a Free Hauler, not committed to a city and hauling to all megacities without using the factories of the involved megacities and not disturbing their progress in a negative way. And not acting like a prestige hunter who doesn't care which industries he or she is damaging and have a negative influence at others game experience.

That's what I earlier said there is a difference between real Free Haulers and Prestige Hunters. This are two totaly different styles in playing. Free Haules do respect city builders and vice versa. Prestige Hunters spoil the game for the true Free Haulers and the true City Builders.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -:engine1::engine1::engine1: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If a turtle doesn’t have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

• Ah, I see. But why don't you pick a megacity and concentrate there? Surely participating in the race would feel more involved rather than a neutral position

Because it is a challenge and it's a lot of fun! As I've said elsewhere I play the style that is going to give me the best game where I've landed. Sometimes that means building cities. Sometimes it means free hauling. And sometimes, like this example, it means doing both. From my point of view the city was too perfect an opportunity not to use it. And it gave amazing prestige without upsetting anyone.

What MGC49 saying is the good example of a Free Hauler, not committed to a city and hauling to all megacities without using the factories of the involved megacities and not disturbing their progress in a negative way.

Yes ... we're not all monsters :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by mgc49 ().

• Yeah I don't know what to say about your picks. I can understand the challenge, yes, but I cannot understand the reasoning. If, and that's just me of course, I want to generate as many prestige points as possible, I will haul with my bonus trains to other megacities, preferably the one(s) that will close goods, and keep my olympuses on the megacity of my choice, preferably the one with the highest chance of winning.

This will, in my view, award me with the highest amount of prestige points, and of course being among the association with the highest hauling power.

Wanting to get prestige but not being able to reach top 10 is something I cannot understand the logic behind. If you want prestige, then why not be as efficient as possible?

And by the way, and again that's just me, I prefer that players haul ONLY from the called industry since secondary and tertiary industries may come into effect and I need those to have 0 second wait time. Hauling from 15 tracks away, but with 0s wait time, is better than to haul from 4 tracks away, but with 3 minutes wait time.

• We're all different ... that is the joy of being human lol .... and perhaps part of my reasoning is that I spend a lot of time in my work dealing with other people's issues. The occasional challenge that involves "not being involved" is most welcome.

• Possible reasons:

1) Prestige. The distribution of prestige in the megaoilis is such that in various cases it is better to play in several cities than in only one. (A good position in the team rank gives more prestige than a bad position in your own team)

2) By using a warehouse next to the city you can deliver to many cities without connecting all the industries of the city.

3) Passenger transporters.

4) Feelings. The game is to satisfy feelings. And the very nature of feelings is illogical. And different people have different feelings. And feelings can be different at different times...

I just want it that way. That's what makes me happy. Then why not?

5)...

• We're all different ... that is the joy of being human lol .... and perhaps part of my reasoning is that I spend a lot of time in my work dealing with other people's issues. The occasional challenge that involves "not being involved" is most welcome.

That pretty much locks the debate, haha. Yes, we're all different, luckily.

And to answer Naike's comment from above, I'm not among the players who call prestige hunters pests or monsters or parasites, but to devise a system that differentiates free haulers from prestige hunters is impossible. The solution I've proposed completely bypasses that difference.

I am only hopelessly dreaming about playing an end game without people ruining the industries, be it main or secondary ones.

• 1. Extremelly contextual.

2. Only applies to american dream scenario, or what is called, which I'm not really familiar.

3. Transporting passengers poses no issue to any megacity.

4. Feelings can be satisfied during first 6 eras, the end game is all about winning as ONE (be it individual, team, or city).

About prestige, I don't want to sound like a prick or arrogant or condescending, but I've seen players here (in general on the forums) talking about prestige and they cannot gather more than 300k prestige in a classic round. Racking prestige is so easy that can barely be considered borderline fun or competitive. All it takes is TIME, that's it, nothing more, just plain time to play. I am only saying this because each round I am constantly seeing players hauling all the unlocked goods during the end game, for prestige.

Sigh, I'm not even going to bother to start that topic again. Let's just say that if a player tries to pull up ahead during the end game, that means he had a weak pace throughout the eras.

• For prestige. Don't underestimate the free style of play in the round and in the final.

I've seen players win a round as a freestyle player. Using some features of the game.

Some passenger riders play the final in freestyle and thus win a round. (In the final they transport goods. Playing simultaneously in the first 2-3 cities)

2. Only applies to american dream scenario, or what is called, which I'm not really familiar.

There are warehouses in the USA and Europe.

4. Feelings can be satisfied during first 6 eras, the end game is all about winning as ONE (be it individual, team, or city).

I understand and respect your point of view. But please understand and respect the feelings of players who have a different point of view.

It's also a lot of fun to experiment with the game. And freestyle is a good basis for experimentation.

Have you ever experimented with the great and interesting challenges of freestyle? (Without your teammates being angry that you don't help in the city)