Let's discuss ⚙️ Video engine update

• Agree on most part. Regular Joes aren't affected, and the idea of station videos carrying over the next day should be considered. But the players battling for 1st place aren't all whales, those are anomalies, they aren't even the 1%, more like 0.1%, and even then...

Regardless, that's not really the point here. What you and the big shots here in this thread are saying is that Rail Nation just took the main weapon against gold spenders, a thing which I have argued it's not, or that they've taken the main source of gold income, again a thing that I have argued.

The hard core players I know that have went, successfully or not, for 1st place have not been whales, arguably not even gold spenders at all. They all had one thing in common: time. This game is won with time (yes, knowledge comes with time). A thing you pointed out too, in the form of multiple people playing on one account.

A whale may buy time but only up to a certain point, and if you want to be 1st you have to be ready to play this game for 16 hours and be mostly online. No amount of gold can give you that, and there's no automatic pilot that you can buy.

Lastly, while it's true that players do give something in return for the bonus from watching a station video, it's still an abusive income as long as it doesn't use a game mechanic. Compare watching a video with running a competition. Running a competition requires tactics, meaning that you need to time it with your prestige points for RG deliveries, time it with other competitions, time it with perhaps a golden hour, maybe even use the museum functionality in order to make sure you're having the optimal start.

How are all these tactics even comparable with just sitting on the chair and routinely watching station videos? They're not. There's no skill implied in watching a station video, any regular Joe can do it. So why allow it to run uncapped? I would argue that everything in this game needs to have a certain degree of complexity that allows you do be better at, given time and accumulated knowledge.

Watching station videos like an assembly line worker just doesn't feel right.

• Watching station videos like an assembly line worker just doesn't feel right.

Sure my playstyle "doesn't feel right" because this is a train game and not a "who has time to click 30s timers game". Does it feel right that players feel that every competitive element in the game is won by someone who spent more money than you? Because the potential of sacrificing ones time to get up to 728 bonuses a day, made a new option for those silly enough to become that assembly line worker to give them more of a competitive edge. Does it feel right that ads have been a part of the game for 5-6 years and only because Travian cant make ad money on blank timers, they yank a feature from the game?

• watching videos --> abusive income

spending money --> right and correct income based on the very core of the game mechanic

struggling the whole era to get a damn bonus engine watching hundreds of video --> unfair advantage

getting bonus engines and best trains after 30min using gold --> supreme skill

I see ^_^ Sorry if I abused the game up till now watching vids, I must be a really bad player for not being able to win servers against those who spend money :(

• Reading all this, I had to reply once more...

If I understand your blog post correctly, then I´m guaranteed to win this bonus train in the first set of commercials. It has 70 upgrades and I´m guaranteed to win 1 upgrade withing the first 14 sets of commercials each day. But I will be able to watch another 14 sets of commercials each day, in total 56 commercial per day.

Now please satisfy my curiosity:

1) Can I win more than 1 engine upgrade? Am I even guaranteed to win 2? Because if only 1 per day, the round has only 84 days, therefore I can´t max out this bonus engine?

2) Is the engine upgrade specific or do I get to chose? Because I just might be only getting those sweet reliability upgrades, while my train can only deliver era 1 goods.

3) Is it possible to buy upgrades with gold? How much 1 costs?

4) Why not simply limit the amount of upgrades player can get per day? Why is there a need to all the sudden limit the amount of commercial player can watch?

5) If there simply must be a limit, why not limit the number of second commercials? So you at least prevent bugs breaking this part of the game for some people.

6) When do you plan to fix bugs with great impact on the game? Like terrible in game forums, not working chat option, huge (comparatively) demands on PC memory....

But I´m most glad for:

"Gold icons in the shop checkout screen are now displayed a little larger"

"Dynamic bundle tile no longer flickers if the offer ends" (what does that even mean?)

and all the other very important fixed bugs.

Do you know that you cant bid on a worker, if you type the number a bit slower, because the game thinks you typed too little?

How do you give a priority to bugs? It´s been almost a year and I havent really noticed any major improvements. Just that my daily login is gone, there is a new and more annoying gold shop and now I wont be able to watch commercials as well.

• Just got done with reading the Blog, and I got to give Travian the credit. They are restricting access to a existing system but are adding in the new bonus train as the reason for the change.

Call me a conspiracy nut, but I don't buy that this was the needed solution. I still believe that Travian is done paying for development to fix the fact that ads don't play on the app so therefore no ad income, and that exists because there is no PTR/Beta testing for the app.

If Travian really needs to allow everyone a chance to watch a bonus video (encouraging spending money on a + account) then add a button in options to disallow others from watching your ads.

• 1. The fact that there was no limit in watching station videos WAS BAD, since this allowed players to gain unfair advantage over the majority of the other players, essentially making this a click-to-win game (on top of it already being a pay-to-win).

I don't agreed with you in this point...

Imagine players in our teams that login 2 or 3 times/day... i have some in all servers...

56 videos is less then all available videos in 3h, and i'm not even considering the possible workers available.

This extra income is very helpfull specialy in era 1 and 2 when trains are still very slow... what will happend is that sometimes in the day no one can see that videos and it's a loss for all the team, not only for the player.

This is an example: sometimes i work over the night and login all night, collecting bonuses of all the team and watching videos when i can, and most of that time no one else login... you can imagine what's the loss for all team, and yes for me to, i agree, but that's a reward stablish by RN...

And by the way, this way RN can delete the whatching video record, (something i never believe it is a real record), but will never be overtaking in best dreams...

• The hard core players I know that have went, successfully or not, for 1st place have not been whales, arguably not even gold spenders at all. They all had one thing in common: time.

You're shifting the focus :)

Of course you have to be active, knowledgeable and skillful in order to win. Neither buying gold, nor mindlessly watching vids will bring you to the top by itself. This was never a point in this discussion.

The point is that you'll have no free-of-charge way to add extra fuel to your engine, while $$$ door is widely open, and even more nowadays with constant discounts. And this is called Pay2Win.

Hell, as iMarius pointed out, it's going to take hell of a luck to even get 1 current era bonus engine without spending cash!

And this change is especially stupid on German or Czech servers for example, where most people play in similar time slices, in which a battle for vids is going to be fierce, while during the night the only 2 active guys will not be able to watch the videos...

• We don't have to agree on all points, we are different people with different perspectives. That's the point of a debate anyway. I for one have bashed Rail Nation a lot, almost entirely on my presence on the forum, but I have to give them credit where credit is due. Oh and I am a video watcher too, often racking 5000 or more per round.

Yes I was shifting the focus a bit with all my comparison, but you all have put this video watch thing against gold buyers and it's not right. Every game out there, and I mean almost every game, has a premium currency or some sort of money transaction. We can argue that some premium currency will allow you to get by faster in a game, such is the case with Rail Nation, but that's a separate topic and not the issue at hand.

I've called the video bonus an abusive income because it is, you may not like it but when I am dedicating most of my time to watch more than 500 videos per day or, even worse, run a script, then yes I am abusing a functionality that's not even a game functionality! This is a train game in which you gain money by doing transports or running train competitions. PERIOD.

Those who want a small boost to that can still watch some station videos, I've already said that I would cap it at 100 not 28 per day, and still have a small edge. Like I said, most of the complaints here come from 3/4 and even 5 star players who are upset that they won't be able to compete for 1st spot with the gold spenders. I get that, like I said, the push that gold gives a player is a separate issue.

How about the regular Joe feels? How about this player feels when the station video watchers get to have so much money compared to him who has hauled integrated for the entire day? Is it fair for a station video watcher to double his income just because of that? How is this going to reflect the worker auctions, have you considered this? This is why you have the top 2 teams taking all the top tier workers every time.

• What kills me is the feeling of humiliation ...

Yes! There are many players who want a good position by watching videos.

And there is nothing wrong with that ...

But a good position is not just watching video.

You need a lot of gaming activity. Strategy and skills!

These changes kill the meaning in the activity, strategy and skills if you do not have the opportunity to invest enough money in the game.

Some will say that you can participate in competitions ...

But it's very disappointing when you see how they are always won by players who have much better financial opportunities.

This will not make auctions fairer.

Because now these auctions will be won by the players / teams who can buy as many lottery tickets as possible and invest as much money as possible.

Or you will say again that I am wrong!

In your opinion, it is fair when everything is bought with a lot of money.

But it can't be bought with a lot of activity.

This justice just kills me ...

What upsets me is not the inability to win a good position.

I almost never play for such a thing.

What upsets me is the familiar feeling that is instilled here in the game.

The feeling of being insignificant to the gods with big wallets.

Just like in life!

We are upset that here, as in life, excessive privileges are given to people with high incomes.

It's a terrifying feeling ... and a lot of people want to be able to escape the horrifying reality, at least in their favorite game.

I am not against payers to have many different privileges.

But I am definitely against them having an advantage everywhere and in everything!

I am against being humiliated here ... as I am humiliated in real life!

• How about the regular Joe feels? How about this player feels when the station video watchers get to have so much money compared to him who has hauled integrated for the entire day? Is it fair for a station video watcher to double his income just because of that? How is this going to reflect the worker auctions, have you considered this? This is why you have the top 2 teams taking all the top tier workers every time.

How a player, that logs twice per day, can compete with an active player, with or without vids?

And if we make the game so he can, will it be fair?

Then, again, how your regular Joe feels about players who simply buy advantage?

• You have to detach yourself and look at this decision from a business perspective and not from a personal perspective. Furthermore I don't see this change aimed towards the gold buyers, so that they have less competition, at least this is what I think. If you are good at this game you will continue to succeed, no amount of gold can outpace knowledge, I really don't know why aren't you acknowledging this. Sure if you combine gold with knowledge then it's game over, but honestly what do you want? You want the possibility of purchasing gold to simply be eliminated from the game? That's absurd.

How a player, that logs twice per day, can compete with an active player, with or without vids?

And if we make the game so he can, will it be fair?

Then, again, how your regular Joe feels about players who simply buy advantage?

He feels bad, of course. All I wanted to prove is that much like the players who don't buy gold feel like about the players who buy, or more correctly put, about the possibility to buy gold, same can be said about the players who don't or cannot watch station videos feel like about the possibility to watch unlimited amount of videos. The idea is to allow the active players to gain advantage over inactive players through competitions, winning worker auctions and generally be online to switch trains, as opposed to simply watching station videos, a thing that reflects no skill, no prerequisite, no strategy.

• You want the possibility of gold to simply be eliminated from the game? That's absurd.

Definitely not this!

What I want is called balance! 8o

• From now on this game will be exclusively and exclusively aimed at players who buy gold. Final paragraph!

I will not even criticize the RN option again, they will have to live with that option!

What seems to me to happen is that the multi accounts that everyone criticizes and that the RN does not want to solve, will multiply in the coming times, since they will have much more time available to do so. If we add players with an unlimited credit card and no limit to buy a lottery, the scenario is set. What is the joke of playing in these conditions? Does anyone like to see or play a game with an early winner?

What is at stake here for me is not the fact that I limit the videos, but that this resolves nothing but leaving videos on the station that will not be seen. It doesn't harm a player, it harms the whole society and the whole reflex in the game. In my humble opinion I see it more as an attempt to reduce the complaints of the various bugs that the system has, considering that it will be much less used, and it is in sight that solve bugs is not for this team! And now as a joke, we know that the system will not even have a great return for the RN, since most videos are for their own consumption and they do not even have the ability to create a functional system with real return.

I never played in the app but I leave a question here: where was the RN's concern when playing exclusively on the app, not even a single video could see? Curiously I never saw it ... what I know is that they always responded from the support saying it was the player's device, never and never the fault of the RN ...

The RN has been making decisions criticized by a large number of players for a long time, but it now seems clear that this is the objective.

I've never seen a game that opens more and more servers and adds functionality without solving the bugs that are in every block of the game ... the most serious being that most of these bugs are years old and nobody has the faintest idea of how to solve them. ..

• And just confuse things even more a new Discord channel is being launched....why ???....so RN can ignore the players concerns as to which way the game is going and still ignore the fact that the game has bugs that go back years and have never been fixed

• And just confuse things even more a new Discord channel is being launche d....why ???....so RN can ignore the players concerns as to which way the game is going and still ignore the fact that the game has bugs that go back years and have never been fixed

the fact that they putting this as a priority above the existing problems is a good reason to quit

• And just confuse things even more a new Discord channel is being launched....why ???....so RN can ignore the players concerns as to which way the game is going and still ignore the fact that the game has bugs that go back years and have never been fixed

The opposite - Discord will pull in more players, all to discuss on the same channels, including those who do not use the forum. In my experience, Discord can be a huge asset to the players and the voice of the players will be better represented in active live chats, where team members join in as well.

• The opposite - Discord will pull in more players, all to discuss on the same channels, including those who do not use the forum. In my experience, Discord can be a huge asset to the players and the voice of the players will be better represented in active live chats, where team members join in as well.

I use Discord chat since i play RN to replace the message systems in game, that are part of bugs... 90% of conversation of the team is done at discord.

What i have doubts is if you can't deal with players at the forum, ignoring and not answear many times, how can you ever do it discord? i'm not seeing you read all the messages there... will be undreads every day... or even more if teams like mine join there...

• From now on this game will be exclusively and exclusively aimed at players who buy gold. Final paragraph!

Reading through this thread, I think we all agree on that!

What really freaks me out is again the arrogance with which this change is presented:

"We are excited to announce a new bonus engine..."

RN team has become very experienced in apologizing, so why not now???

The following text would be much more appropriate and would get a lot more understanding:

"Dear players, we are very sorry to announce that we have to take away some of the free stuff that players are getting from watching videos. The RN company is low on money and as you all have seen, our servers are crashing one after the other. With the limitation on videos we are hoping to collect more real money from our players, so we can solve the performance issues and hopefully create a more stable and more reliable gaming platform in the near future. To ease the pain a bit, we will throw in a new bonus engine. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding"

There are 10 types of people in this world:

Those who understand binary and those who don't

• I will try to do a analysis on playstyle with 3 different hardcore player scenarios:

#1. Hardcore player has 30000+ gold to spend in a round

#2. Hardcore player has <5000 gold to spend in a round

#3. Hardcore player has less than 1000 gold to spend in a round

#1 hardcore player will most likely spend a lot of gold on station in the start. Getting much better trains and income. When reaching 1000 pp, its time to spend gold on tickets and maybe stop when all BTs of the era has been won. No videos needed to watch. The gameplay is potential 100% ad free. All vouchers and needed discounts can be bought via tickets.

#2 hardcore player will most likely spend a little gold here and there. Maybe fast track a few station upgrades and buy a 10-ticket pack or two. Then the race for getting as much videos as possible is on. Need to win as many vouchers as possible and buy some of those discounted tickets. 1000pp is reached and hopefully a BT will be in one of the saved tickets. Player wont be able to buy many full prize tickets, and have to rely on videos.

#3 hardcore player will have to decide if gold should be used on starter pack or plus-account. If doing both, it costs almost 300 gold. Videos needs to be watched, so a plus account will probably be the best choice. Cant buy many discounted tickets from videos and have to rely on winning gold competitions.

#1 hardcore player does not need to attend any gold competitions, but sometime still do, as he is a hardcore player that want to win everything. Easy to win, as all BTs are in train fleet. Wins oftencomps without timing them (better trains, more BTs, boosters etc).

#2 hardcore player attend more of those gold comps, as the gold reserves are not infinite. The player are able to win many of the comps, but lose mostly to the hardcore #1 player. #2 have a few BTs, maybe all of them, if watched enough videos and won some gold comps.

#3 hardcore player attend all the gold comps he finds. Its hard to win against #1 and #2 hardcore player, but wins once in a while. The lack of gold increases, and its unsure if another plus-account can be bought any time soon.

With video limit, #1 hardcore player will probably not notice at all, as the buy new ticket button is still there.

#2 hardcore player will probably be the one losing most, as he rely on getting as much tickets from his gold as possible, and get lots of free vouchers to be able to compete against #1 hardcore player. #3 hardcore player will have a lot less vouchers, but the amount of tickets will be around the same, as he cant buy many of those discounted tickets anyways.

So, it will be easier for #1 hardcore player to win, as he do not depend on videos at all. #2 hardcore player will be less able to compete against #1 hardcore player, but will probably still beat most of the less experienced heavy gold spenders. #3 hardcore player will most likely have to fight even harder to be able to buy that next plus account with gold won from comps.