Let's discuss ⚙️ Video engine update

• The simple math here is they want to limit the videos so people actually spend money in the game.

If they don’t limit the videos then people won’t spend money. Their most likely not getting any revenue from videos in the app, because the videos don’t play. You click on the video and all you get is a blank screen and the countdown timer.

Why is this because there’s no PTR server for the Rail Nation app. They put the app out a few years ago and never bothered to test it.

They stopped the unlimited videos because, if you actually have time to sit and watch videos. You can actually build up a nice stash of gold and plus account. Not to mention the bonus trains.

They didn’t think about the people who play the game who live in countries where they can’t purchase gold packages or can’t really afford to. It’s just another example of pay to win.

I don’t know why they don’t just create a server that’s strictly designed for people who want to spend tons of money.

Then create one where you can play but you can’t buy gold it’s just totally free. It’s all based on strategy no advantages for anyone.

Then have the regular servers where you can buy gold if you choose too. The above mentioned servers would not be special event servers but would run as normal servers.

An example of what gold can do for you in this game. The server I play on is com 202. Last round we had a player who had all his station buildings maxed by the end of era 1.

The only thing he couldn’t max out by the end of era 1 was his engine house. Because of the limit for each era.

He was also connected to all 50 cities on the map. He was also usually the top investor in the special routes. He thought he had the win in the bag.

What he failed to do was play a smart endgame. He also neglected to haul to the landmarks. Which on SOE is where all the money and prestige is at. He also forgot that by being the top region is worth lots and lots of prestige for being the top region.

So in the end what did this player accomplish, he didn’t win the round. He wasn’t in the top region. His home city did win the endgame.

All he got for all his mad spending was a huge credit card bill. Oh he also made lots of money for Rail Nation. The accountants at Rail Nation are probably laughing at him as they count his money while sticking it in the bank.

Now you know why Rail Nation is limiting the number of videos. Because if they don’t it hurts their cash flow. Like I said earlier you can build up a nice stash of gold and plus account with lots of free lottery tickets. Rail Nation doesn’t make any money in the videos on the app. Because no smart company is going to pay money to advertise their product have it not be seen.

I for one hope they never get the ads to play in app because they are annoying as hell. I would rather just look at a blank screen and watch the timer countdown.

From what I’ve seen and heard with the new train they have in the game people are only watching enough videos to get their daily upgrade then that’s it. I personally do that as well. I have no desire or time to sit there and watch the same lame videos repeat themselves over and over again.

• Stone The Cat

Thinking error.

The videos were played with 600-800 players on online servers to get additional income for the company from advertisers.

Unfortunately, the changes introduced for a long time have so effectively discouraged players that today about 50-70 people are online at the most important moments on the server.

A tenfold decrease in the number of players translated into a decrease in the audience of advertisements, and thus the withdrawal of advertisers, and thus a decrease in revenues.

The idea of introducing a locomotive obtainable by watching commercials (not movies!) Was brilliant. Limiting the number of viewed ads was supposed to give players the impression that they finally didn't have to watch it, because it's something limited.

Fantastic psychological idea.

Unfortunately, like everything in this game, these ideas have been botched.

It was supposed to be beautiful and it turned out as usual.

Why? Because on our servers you can see only 2 advertising films - both advertising other TG products.

The conclusion is that there are still no willing advertisers and the advertising profits are zero.

Limiting the number of films did nothing.

Higher viewership would bring a return to the previous solution - viewing bonuses the same as before.

Today, whoever wants to develop Pollux watches about 14 films a day.

Previously, the entire teams of associations watched films non-stop in order to collect as many bonuses as possible, because it translated into an easier game.

Perhaps a very small number of online gamers will not attract advertisers anyway, even if gamers only watch the ads.

In that case, we go back to the starting point - fix the bugs of the game so that more people want to play it.

TG seems to be blind to this simple solution to all problems.

• As we explained before, there were several reasons for the video limit. One of them was the massive usage of external applications to watch an inhuman amount of videos.

• If you really wanna increase video watches it's a simple fix. It's one reason most people quit watching them. GET RID OF THE DISCOUNTED LOTTERY TICKETS. No one wants to watch those videos for nothing. We have plenty of opportunities to buy tickets.

don't make assumptions for other players as yourself. I only buy lottery tickets with the discount of the vids and I know more who do.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

• As we explained before, there were several reasons for the video limit. One of them was the massive usage of external applications to watch an inhuman amount of videos.

So if the system is broken and it puts a strain on resources, then do the next best thing and fix it.

Stop punishing the players for the company being unable or too cheap to do the right thing.

I would be willing to pay more for a gold package or a plus account, for a game that I enjoy playing. For it to be error and bug free.

I’m sure other long term players would agree with me on this. So come on Rail Nation do the right thing and fix the game once and for all.

I’m issuing a challenge to Rail Nation fix the game completely by 2022/01/01, and I will buy your most expensive gold package 3 times back to back. So if you’re up for the challenge do the right thing.

Something tells me you won’t accept that challenge because then you have to put people ahead of profits.

nEwW I assume you didn't come up with that excuse, this is just the official position of the company.

Here is the answer to why players are quitting the game and why the company is losing profits.

You treat us like idiots, not partners.

The films can be watched on three buildings:

Restaurant

shopping center

Hotel

Viewing each of them increases the bonus that can be collected from each building.

Regardless of when you watch the movie, the bonus will only be redeemed after a while.

This time depends on the level of development of the building.

After watching the movie, the next movie will not be loaded by the system until you claim the bonus.

let's put the building with the fastest generated bonus - the Restaurant.

In Era 1, at level 9 restaurants, the bonus appears after 90 minutes.

In one day I can claim 18 bonuses and watch the same number of movies.

Not one more from this building, whether it's me initiating the movie or some external program, because your system won't make the movie available sooner.

Exactly the same goes for the other two buildings, only the waiting time is longer.

Currently, my mall is 4.5 hours and the hotel is over 2

Suppose the Center is 4 hours, hotel 2 is behind the center, I can watch 6 movies a day, and from the hotel - 12.

In total, I can watch 22 movies a day.

No external program can increase this amount unless someone breaks into your server and forces the system to upload your videos, but that's your problem with secured servers.

If there are 25 players in the association, you can watch 25x22 = 550 movies per day.

It takes me just over 50 minutes to watch videos from all over the association, including bonus videos.

During this time, I change schedules, chat with my teammates etc so it's not a world record.

Some third-party programs may shorten this time, but the duration of the videos will not be shortened, and even the games - no further videos will be available for viewing until the time limit for claiming the bonus from the building in question has passed.

Therefore, whether in human or external applications, no one will watch more movies than is possible in a given era, at a given level of building development.

The saying "watch an inhuman number of movies" is a simple smokescreen that treats us like idiots.

The only meaningful explanation for limiting the number of videos you watch is in my post above.

You can tell your bosses that the players are not as stupid as you are trying to treat them.

Or you can tell your bosses that restrictions on videos and related ads will in no way increase the proceeds of buying gold.

Contrary.

This will cause another group of players to be out of the game. who could pay for gold from time to time. You won't see their money anymore.

I thought that here in the international forum I would see the respect for gamers that the company should show for gamers who pay real cash in a free browser game.

I can see that I was wrong.

P.S.

To explain those who don't know the game very well.

No player or any external program can watch videos of players from other associations.

Therefore, the number of movies to be watched for a human and for an external program is the same in the same time frame.

• if it stops people nicking my videos... I say bring it on. Shame the train gets reset after EG, it looks like i wont get the full potential. Im on day 6 only got 2 wagons, accel is still on 1, speed 85 reliability is 2, not missed an upgrade yet

And that could have been dealt with in other ways. Chief among them randomly centering the Windows each time they opened. Also tools could have given to support to measure the length of clicks to advance to the next video (though that could be countered by a bot eventually)

I still maintain that this was a purely business decision to cut losses because no matter how many hours (cost) of development was made, the feature did not bring in sufficient money (revenue). Years of lost profit, not because of the players, but because of the poor beta testing before new features go live.

• If you really wanna increase video watches it's a simple fix. It's one reason most people quit watching them. GET RID OF THE DISCOUNTED LOTTERY TICKETS. No one wants to watch those videos for nothing. We have plenty of opportunities to buy tickets.

Actually this is the main way that Travian makes money from ads.

The silly thing about the Pollux update is Travian will likely lose money because Ad Warriors like me have less random discount lottos to purchase. If someone new is watching vids for an upgrade, it’s not likely that they will suddenly start purchasing the discounted lottos that have always been there in droves for them before.

• Actually this is the main way that Travian makes money from ads.

The silly thing about the Pollux update is Travian will likely lose money because Ad Warriors like me have less random discount lottos to purchase. If someone new is watching vids for an upgrade, it’s not likely that they will suddenly start purchasing the discounted lottos that have always been there in droves for them before.

Shhh Don't try to make sense of it.

They will figure it out on their own

• Actually this is the main way that Travian makes money from ads.

We have already discussed that there are several reasons.
    You are partially correct, that the video function was not generating tons of revenue.
    As we explained before, 1 user watching hundreds of videos is not generating revenue as several hundred users watching few videos.
    Video amount / user < Ammount of users / video

We tried to add additional value to the video system with the addition of Polux, which could motivate most of the players to watch the videos.
    You have already expressed your thoughts on the video limit ( 56 ) on classic worlds and after our survey results, we will raise it to 80 ( planned this month ).

There are a lot of reasons why the change was done, yes, not everyone might like it, but the statistics are clear.

• nEwW

blah blah blah

again unproductive air grinding.

Above you have proof that the movie viewing limit is completely pointless, and the argument that someone watches more movies than others thanks to the use of external programs has nothing to do with reality.

Read exactly what I wrote above at least once.

The limit of 80 movies (with 28 bonus movies) gives you the opportunity to watch 54 movies on the stations.

An association of 26 players with one film per each buildings gives 78 films.

With the current limit, one player is not able to play even a complete set of his association's films per day!

Why is there more than one movie per building per day if they cannot be watched?

Why do you come up with pseudo-reasons for such a decision?

Write the truth at least once, maybe it will be easier for us to accept this nonsense.

• I'm sure this was not the last time we will see this discution going on... i had my suspects about the real reasons for that limit and finaly now i'm almost sure about my thougts, specialy after i see a post from you at discord... what i don't like is seeing you always trying to get a justification and make us fool...

Let me chalange you with this: start a unic server with no videos in the game... if yo do that i'm sure you will get a conclusion for the company and other for the players... and this doen't mean it is necessary bad for the players... maybe you could get some interest conclusions...

• There are a lot of reasons why the change was done, yes, not everyone might like it, but the statistics are clear.

nEwW, do you personally have access to the data? Have you seen any reports of percentages of used 20g, 15g, 10g, and 5g offers from vids and the number of occurrences quarter to quarter over the years? If so then certainly you can refute my speculation that the Pullox update will lose Travian revenue, based on the discounted lottos alone. I further speculate that the decision makers did not consider this consequence before making the decision to have the Pullox update to be the end of development no longer trying to fix the issues of ads not playing on all platforms (again more speculation on my part)

I understand that as a Community Manager you have a very tough job. I am not trying to add on to that difficulty. I will share some feedback that it adds to my frustration when a CM (the voice of the company) says “as explained before” and talks about revenue when my subject has nothing to do with revenue from the ads themselves, but the loss of revenue in gold sales to support the purchase of discounted videos.

I have accepted that this is now the game. I will continue to play even though as an Ad Warrior, this update has severely altered my game play. I have made a post, that has likely already scrolled off the top page, about my acceptance and my one player boycott as if that will be noticed by an international corporation. It’s probably best for you nEwW to ignore my speculations on specifics that way I can be discounted by the community as a conspiracy nut.

• nEwW, do you personally have access to the data? Have you seen any reports of percentages of used 20g, 15g, 10g, and 5g offers from vids and the number of occurrences quarter to quarter over the years? If so then certainly you can refute my speculation that the Pullox update will lose Travian revenue, based on the discounted lottos alone. I further speculate that the decision makers did not consider this consequence before making the decision to have the Pullox update to be the end of development no longer trying to fix the issues of ads not playing on all platforms (again more speculation on my part)

I understand that as a Community Manager you have a very tough job. I am not trying to add on to that difficulty. I will share some feedback that it adds to my frustration when a CM (the voice of the company) says “as explained before” and talks about revenue when my subject has nothing to do with revenue from the ads themselves, but the loss of revenue in gold sales to support the purchase of discounted videos.

I have accepted that this is now the game. I will continue to play even though as an Ad Warrior, this update has severely altered my game play. I have made a post, that has likely already scrolled off the top page, about my acceptance and my one player boycott as if that will be noticed by an international corporation. It’s probably best for you nEwW to ignore my speculations on specifics that way I can be discounted by the community as a conspiracy nut.

You are only thinking out of your perspective, you can't watch as many vids as before. We only can see one side and that is ours with less videos. But I don't think the total watched videos will be less with the fixed amount. Now everybody in an asso gets an oppertunity to watch the videos. I know in some assos there were 2 or 3 players who watched all the videos and the other players 23 didn't get any chance to watch.

You also don't know the commercial reason behind it. When 2 or 3 watching hundreds of videos most of the videos will taken out the backup pool, the own Travian Games. This vids don't generate any income. When more different people can watch the vids there are more real advertisement shown and more income.

:engine1::engine1::engine1:

Work for a cause

Not for applause

Live life to express

Not to impress

• You are only thinking out of your perspective, you can't watch as many vids as before.

You also don't know the commercial reason behind it.

This thread is titled “Let’s Discuss...”. To me the discussion doesn’t end when a final update is put in place.

Yes, I personally do not like the change, but my posts are not me repeating my dislike of the changes. As I said in the post you quoted, I have accepted that this is the game now.

I don’t know the commercial reason behind the change, that is why I use the word speculate so often. My contributions to this discussion at this point are related to what I suspect, and so far the specific points that I do discuss have not been directly addressed

My reply to nEwW has more to do with sharing my frustration that the official blanket statement that has been offered does not address my specific point, nor does writing “as explained before” change that.

Happy Mother’s Day everyone.

• Ridiculous excuse from Rail Nation.
    I'm not talking about the moderator. I'm talking about Rail Nation and Travian Games

(Please don't shout it adds nothing to the validity or otherwise of your argument, if anything it detracts. Shouting is usually associated with irrational and belligerent thinking.)

What is so ridiculous about reducing or stopping the use of bots to watch videos? That is a form of cheating which harms other genuine players. Anything which can be done to reduce cheating and/or exploitation, unfortunately there is a massive amount in this game, has my support.

In this world there is nothing softer or thinner than Water.

But to compel the Hard and Unyielding it has no equal.

(Lao-Tse)