Golden Hour

• I understand the logic of Golden Hour ... zero wait time for an hour if you do it right and therefore you can haul fast and direct ... new RG so hauling it often pays well ... gives the new RG a push to get its tonnage up with the others ... all understood.

But I suspect that people have made it a rule that they follow without thinking about whether or not it makes sense on this occasion ... and is it really worth completely depleting the new factory and sending the wait times up through the roof when the hour is over and thus making it harder for those who are left to work with it? ... not to mention all the bad feeling and accusations it seems to cause!

• I understand the logic of Golden Hour ... zero wait time for an hour if you do it right and therefore you can haul fast and direct ... new RG so hauling it often pays well ... gives the new RG a push to get its tonnage up with the others ... all understood.

But I suspect that people have made it a rule that they follow without thinking about whether or not it makes sense on this occasion ... and is it really worth completely depleting the new factory and sending the wait times up through the roof when the hour is over and thus making it harder for those who are left to work with it? ... not to mention all the bad feeling and accusations it seems to cause!

You have missed one very important aspect of GH - It is a top rate object lesson for the End Game.

• It disciplines the team (City).
    • It shows how waiting times can be pushed through the roof.
    • And, how waiting times can be got back under control if everyone pulls together.
    • It encourages good team work.

On balance it is a very useful tool. The inflated waiting times soon return to normal and, nobody is forced to do it, They are asked only to respect the wish of their teammates (City Mates) to do it. Personally I usually choose to integrate so that I do not need to worry about getting back on the hour, and so do many others, and this generally prevents waiting times skyrocketing completely out of control.

In this world there is nothing softer or thinner than Water.

But to compel the Hard and Unyielding it has no equal.

(Lao-Tse)

• Yes that certainly would make it worthwhile. :) And like you I tend to haul integrated for GH because I am usually doing something else at the same time.

I probably missed the training value because I've never seen it happening. What I see a lot is newbies being expected to pick it up by osmosis and then being shouted at for getting it wrong. And no one has ever explained the logic of it to me ... I had to work it out myself.

So yes, I concede ... if properly explained, a valuable training tool ... but that's a very big IF there.

• Teamwork is so important to the game. Training (some may view it as indoctrination) during the eras hopefully reduces the off call hauling during EG.

On a minor note, GHs can provide a financial boon which is nice to recover the expense of a new fleet of wagons. If there are enough haulers to get the RG green, then there is usually opportunity to make money restocking the RG factory.

Also level ups are important for prestige farmers trying for top ranks on the RG or titles. Creating a culture of direct hauling for most of if not an entire hour fits that group’s agenda.

Don’t get me wrong, Golden Hours are very efficient hauling. So much so I often advocate trying to set up Silver and Bronze hours to demonstrate how many tons can be brought to a destination to use online/offline hauling during the eras.

• Yes that certainly would make it worthwhile. :) And like you I tend to haul integrated for GH because I am usually doing something else at the same time.

I probably missed the training value because I've never seen it happening. What I see a lot is newbies being expected to pick it up by osmosis and then being shouted at for getting it wrong. And no one has ever explained the logic of it to me ... I had to work it out myself.

So yes, I concede ... if properly explained, a valuable training tool ... but that's a very big IF there.

I make sure to tell my newbies. Even have it written up in a desktop file ready for each new round. Of course, not everybody reads it and I usually have further instruction to give using PM's, :) For me, not so much If properly explained but if properly read!

Congratulations on working it out. I had to do the same.

I too often find however that it is not the newbies who have the problem it is the "old hands" who know they know it all so have no need to read basic game concepts. You've got to love them!.

This problem is exacerbated by the way new players are distributed when they join the game. They are very lucky indeed if they are dropped into a city with an established association which still has an open Newbie slot. They usually find themselves in a city of newbies and small associations where all are struggling to work out the game mechanics. This makes it easy for a newbie to develop into an old hand without being given any basic information beyond Lucy.

Time - imo - for a drastic rethink on how to integrate Newbies into the game successfully.

In this world there is nothing softer or thinner than Water.

But to compel the Hard and Unyielding it has no equal.

(Lao-Tse)

• Yes I agree ... the integration of newbies into the game is not good. There have been a number of attempts to improve it but it's still in need of attention.

And yes ... I got 'promoted' to chair because the chair was taken ill mid round this time and you can explain till the cows come home but if no one reads then it's frustrating!

@ Spoordijk - yes I asked too when I was a newbie and was told - these are the rules that players have established over the years, this is the only way to play, and don't question things you don't understand ... which I interpreted to mean that he didn't really know the why of it! NB - I've read some of your explanations and you explain things well ... you almost got some of the worst investors in the game to invest!! ;)