the time has come to move to a new forum platform. Why are we doing this?
The necessity of it became quite clear a while ago. You might remember what happened last September, when we had to close our forums for over a week to solve a security issue. The main reason for the change is to have stronger data protection. Burning Board offers us more options for a secure environment, which is why we've decided to use it as company platform for all our games.
Furthermore, we want our forums to be more embedded into the game environment. Currently those are two clearly separated places. Thus, we’re moving the forum into our game lobby, so you won’t need to login twice anymore and can take part in forum discussion with your game account.
Last, but not least, we’d like to have our communities of the different domains closer to each other. We know many of you play in different countries and we’d like to offer you the chance to have a single platform from which you can gather all the information.
Here is some technical information:
- Since we want to provide a fresh start from scratch for everyone in the new forum, we will only move some selected threads (including all the posts in it). This selection includes: changelogs, the latest announcements, hall of fames and other topics selected by our Community Managers.
- We will move all the forum accounts that were accessed at least once in the past 365 days.
- All the account names will get the country tag as a suffix in order to avoid duplicates. You will then be able to change your nickname into a new one if you like.
- You will be able to access the forum with your game account. So, if you want to have your Rail Nation account linked with one or more existing forum accounts, please make sure that you use the same email address in the lobby and in every single forum you are active in. It won’t be possible to merge them anymore after we started the process.
- All images attached to post in selected threads will be saved and moved to the new forum.
- All personal avatars will be moved.
- All warnings and a possible temporary punishment history will be gone; it’s a fresh start, so make sure you profit from this chance.
- There will be international community guidelines that may in some details differ from the rules you are used to. Please make sure to read them.
One forum to rule them all! How does this work?
It’s pretty easy: Once the forum was merged your account will be assigned to your community inside the new forum and you will see the posts of that community. You can go to your profile and change your settings to add more languages and see the posts of more communities. If you have more languages activated when you start a new thread, you will be able to choose in which community you want to write by selecting the language/domain in a drop-down menu.
We fully realize that some of you won’t be happy with this change and that you like your current forum. We want to be honest with you, which is why we are not trying to sell you a nice epic story with a 'And they lived happily ever after'. We've analyzed the pros and cons of moving and merging the forums and we’d like to be transparent and share our findings with you.
Pros of the forum merger:
- The security level of the forum will be improved – no more hacking
- Worldwide communication – the forum merger is a step to improve our communication flow to you and also the communication flow from you to the company
- You'll have the chance to get in touch easier with more people and learn from other countries
- You won’t need to have one account in each forum of every community you play in anymore; you'll have only one account and everything will be at hand.
- You do not have to register an account separately. As soon as you have a lobby account you can also enter the forum with it.
- You'll be able to gain activity points – these points show your levels of participation and contribution to the community. You can gain activity points by starting new threads (10 points), answering existing threads (5 points) and receiving likes for your posts (2 points). The most helpful posts can be even rewarded with 20 points.
- Burning Board offers a better way to sort threads in a specific section. Using the filter will help you to find what you are searching for much quicker.
- More social interaction - you'll be able to share your favorite thread with your friends on social media with just one click.
- You'll be able to keep track of activity on threads you are interested in way easier with the 'Watched Threads' page.
- It’s a fresh start from scratch for everyone. So, punishments will be blanked as well.
Cons of the forum merger:
- We'll need to clean up. As mentioned above, we will only move some selected activities of the past year to the new forum, everything else will be available by the end of the year in a read-only archive.
- Your post count will be reset due to the fact that we are not merging the entire community's history – but on the other side you'll be able to gain activity points. A little number of posts may appear in your profile. That depends on the threads we moved .
- The station concourse (off topic section) won’t have a post count – we do value our community and we also like chit-chat, but we do not think this directly contributes to Rail Nation life, therefore we decided to remove the post count and activity points in this section.
- You'll have to learn how to use a new software and it might be difficult at the beginning and get used to the new interface – we will try to provide as much information as possible in our FAQs.
- All custom BBcodes will no longer work, which might lead to some posts looking a bit odd
- There is a slight chance that your nickname is taken by another user – in this case you should get in touch with the CM of your community, who will evaluate the situation.
- The interface (buttons, profile interface, etc...) will be available only in the following languages at the start: COM (EN), CZ, DE, ES, FR, IT, NL, PL, RO, RU, TR - if you are willing to help us translate the interface please contact the CM of your community. The Nordics (FI, SE, NO, DK) will be officially integrated into the COM domain.
- All private messages and notes will be gone – so make sure to save those that matter to you.
We are sure by now you must have thought about 50 time: "OK, but when?"
We will start merging the forums on September 18th. We will close all forums on this date and we are aiming to bring them back online by September 30th. Wait, what??? Yes, we know it’s a long time and we hope everything works as planned and we can bring them back online before that date.
Meanwhile, we will provide you with all the important information through the Wordpress info boxes and on our Rail Nation Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RailNationINT/