Well, let me tell about the company that owns the flat I am living in.
It's a cooperative, which means the renters are owners of the company, because they pay a share (in my case 7 shares /1000 Euros) instead of a caution. So at the end there are 5000+ flats with 45 k shares and ... yes, 6000+ shareholders/owners. I tell the numbers to show, it's not the biggest but probably not a small company.
So, we, the renters elect representatives, who meet to elect the directorates and they control the 2 top managers (and the employees). Well 5 years ago my neighbours elected me to be a representative, so I visited the meetings, the votings and the seminars they offered to support us in communication, legal and business knowledge and about the ways to do our tasks.
That's the background, now ... when did I experience empathy, respect and appreciation?
- From the very first day when I was one of the 120 representatives, the 2 managers and most of the directorates knew me by name, which told me, I am not just one out of 120, but my volunteering is appreciated
- One day there was one of the employees, who greeted me and proudly said: "Remember? I signed your contract, when you rented your flat." Well .. HE remembered, I had to look it up.
- The communications seminar was simply great. Active listening, the most modern version of transactional analyses, non aggressive communication and so many more things that makes interaction easier .. and exercises.
- And in the meetings with the managers and employees I noticed they really LIVE this way to respect each other, to show empathy when interacting, even between the coworkers.
- Whenever I meet one of the managers or teamers, there is a feeling of pride and enthusiasm about what they do.
- In 2018 my house (11 floors, 42 flats) and the other 15 houses around, got a big maintenance (water supply, electricity, internet, telephone, ...). They informed us all about each and every detail (we even know, what they paid for the project), first us representatives, then all renters (they rented a big cinema for that).
Well, one thing is complete information, given to us customers/renters, but each employee seemed to know all the details too. I could see so often, that they do not hesitate a second to help a coworker, when they need another detail of information.
- So, one thing I supported to that meeting with representatives was that I asked: if you renew the bell system .. why not install one with a camera? We will check that, was the answer ... and last week another representative came to me and told: "Klabbauter, I like our new displays and the camera down at the door. Soooo good that you suggested that."
- So many more examples of appreciation, respect and a non aggressive way to interact ... and the result is a very good atmosphere, enthusiasm and a feeling of comradeship that includes renters up to the two top managers.
I can only tell that from the perspective of a renter/customer, who joins meetings as a representative, and so I can see, how the teams and workers cooperate. The philosophy of the company is given and spread to all employees (and they stay, there is almost no fluctuation), through all teams and commettees ... somehow all through the company there is a natural attitude to treat ev1 else well, to answer questions, to give out informations without being asked, to find someone who cares, even if the actual job holder on vacation. And as I joined some committees it's not only good manners towards the customers, that atmosphere can be felt in each meeting.
Well, the result is success. Financial success, even with fair rents, service quality and being more than respected by authorities and the other flat renting companies.